Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, this figures...

34 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Unfortunately crisises can bring out the best and worst of people. Costco has announced that there will be no returns allowed on tp, paper towels, wipes, water , rice , and lysol. To those that have hoarded I hope they used their credit cards to buy. It will serve them right.

agreed

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Dwayne.

In regards to your last statement..

"Im scared what will happen when a major problem really hits us, not just speculation, projections and presumption.  "

The COVID Crisis, IS a major problem. A sickness that doubles the number of victims every three days, is the very definition of "Major Problem".

Thats one figure, which was listed for Australia. Another says every 7 days. Either way, its the media and Hollywood causing panic. Even if you get it, youre likely to be fine. It is NOT an automatic death sentence, like some people seem to believe. The standard Flu virus has a death rate of less than 1%,  Covid-19 is about 3%, but experts agree this is inflated because of the elderly, which it seems to spread to faster. I guess if you are in a big city, it might be a problem, but here its just annoying. And I have sympathy for those who have been laid off.

It was also "just the flu" that killed 50 million people around the world in 1918.  Here at home, that flu pandemic killed more Americans than WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam combined.  At Fort Devens, MA, so many young, otherwise healthy soldiers died that the morgue ran out of room, and bodies were stacked everywhere. 

A good book about it that I'm reading right now: "Flu: The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus that Caused It" by Gina Kolata.

On edit: I have a sort of personal connection to that 1918 pandemic.  My paternal grandmother lost so many of her relatives, including her parents, that the family doctor worried she might go insane.  He told my grandfather it would be best to get her completely out of the area. He did.  They were cotton sharecroppers and moved from north Georgia to SC. 

Edited by Mike999
omit

16 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

It was also "just the flu" that killed 50 million people around the world in 1918.  Here at home, that flu pandemic killed more Americans than WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam combined.  At Fort Devens, MA, so many young, otherwise healthy soldiers died that the morgue ran out of room, and bodies were stacked everywhere. 

A good book about it that I'm reading right now: "Flu: The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus that Caused It" by Gina Kolata.

On edit: I have a sort of personal connection to that 1918 pandemic.  My paternal grandmother lost so many of her relatives, including her parents, that the family doctor worried she might go insane.  He told my grandfather it would be best to get her completely out of the area. He did.  They were cotton sharecroppers and moved from north Georgia to SC. 

Wow, I've never heard of the 1918 Pandemic and that was the year my dad was born in. Guess I don't know it all after all. thanks for the info.

100 years ago I think people just accepted the high mortality and that there wasn't that much that could be done to stop the spread. If this spread to the point there was a few hundred thousands deaths we would probably fall into a full blown recession.  Hopefully a month or so of standing down and finding a cure or vaccine or drugs to keep the death rates down will ease the panic which has not been too bad other than people buying more food, etc. than they need.  I hope these large companies will back their employees and do the right thing and help out when it is needed the most.  A lot of people are quick to blame the government for every mis-step but most of the workers are just regular people hired to do a specific job and are expected to leave their political views at home.  I have worked in both public and private sectors and have found good and bad people in both.  America and the world will get through this given the non-stop attention it is getting that it could be a lot worse without some drastic steps being taken.  Just my two cents.

As with anything there are positives and negatives. 100 years ago there was less communication. These days its an age of instant information. We know about things minutes after they happen rather than days or weeks.

Which is not always a good thing. Relax and be safe all. We will get through it. And remember if you can't go to church God makes house calls.

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Relax and be safe all. We will get through it. And remember if you can't go to church God makes house calls.

Very well said. This is how I feel. Dont lose your mind. Be smart, wash your hands. Have faith that God will help us out here. (dont want to lock the thread with religion) 

My faith is why Im not too worried....that and I live in a small city, with less than 100k people. We have only had 2 cases locally, both survived. We are currently looking at live streaming church services for our elderly, who have decided to stay home. It makes sense, as they are much more susceptible. And again, sorry for those who are effected by layoffs. 

Well, we shutdown yesterday until at least the 6th. I'm still able to do some maintenance a few days a week so that's good.

But the real good in this, I will FINALLY get some long overdue bench time!

I plan on at LEAST getting my cannonball project done, I'll post some build progress soon!

I have two clients whose cars I'm wrapping up before I finish moving. One of them is concerned with his income in the near future, and is shutting the project down until 4-15. The other one is in a business where he's practically printing money right now, has been pushing me to git 'er done...so I can divert all my energy to that one.

No rest for me, I'm afraid.

47 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I have two clients whose cars I'm wrapping up before I finish moving. One of them is concerned with his income in the near future, and is shutting the project down until 4-15. The other one is in a business where he's practically printing money right now, has been pushing me to git 'er done...so I can divert all my energy to that one.

No rest for me, I'm afraid.

Consider yourself fortunate brother... I could still do some spot jobs here in my garage if I had to, but I'm honestly glad I don't do that kind of work anymore.

My days of bondo dust are hopefully over... but then again if my regular job doesn't start back up I'll certainly resort back to it... I do happen to live in "hotrod heaven" after all.