Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage FED, 1:25, brass WIP, driveline

20 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I'm lovin it Mike!  Great build so far and very cool subject!  I do love those old school dragster!  I'll be back for sure!  Cheers, Francis

Thank you Francis for visiting.  I agree, the vintage dragster cars appear to be so clean and proportionate, every detail is visible.  Plus, the rules allowed for creative development.  Yes, I'm hooked on the late 60's Altered and dragster cars.  Hey, and I don't have to smell glue with brass building.

Looking forward to your valve cover update....sensational milling technique!  I milled small metal things for decades, but can only do freehand now.

Mike..

Edited by Mike Williams

GoatGuy,  I appreciate your encouraging comment.  Hey, next time take lots of photos at such an event,  you might like them when you choose to build a vintage FED.  Every single close up photo of these old cars might answer any question that comes up.  I have tons of photos, but still have to ask about details.  It's all part of our wonderful hobby!  Thanks.

Len Woodruff, thanks for your enthusiasm!  Hey,  these cars are built fairly quick.  Here and there some special detail comes up that needs attention, this takes time to figure out.  Likewise for instance with the laced wire wheels.  Gathered up though, these models can be built quickly, I like this.  Heck, used to say time is money, nowadays, time is TIME.  Not cheap when you're pushing 70.

Scott8950,  thanks for this.  Agreed, small things can make a model really pop, and these real wire wheels on the shelf are just special.  Best is though, you did it yourself.  Much appreciated.

Claude Thibodeau, CT, thank you for viewing and your praise.  Some things can be so easy to accomplish once the difficulties have been minimized.  Just as in life,  how can one go wrong when you know the easy way?  Salut.  CT,  I heard from a French friend today this, "Les allemands amassent du papier toilette, vin rouge et préservatifs français.  Oui, good to be safe.

Ian McLaren,  I can't say from here exactly what the results show.  Which soldering iron?  Small tip, good so for our small scale cars.  You have to clean the tip constantly while it's hot, after every joint, beforehand and afterwards as well, wipe it clean with some kind of kitchen "steel wool" pot cleraner, my wife has wonderful things available, yours too.  The tip has to be blank and clean!  Clean metal, liquid flux on the joint, touch the clean tip to a solder wire, touch the joint with this small ball of solder on the end of the tip and this should flow like melted butter!  By the way, welcome to the forum!

Thanks guys,

Mike..

Edited by Mike Williams

Monsieur Claude, always a pleasure to read your comments. Thank you sincerely.

La beauté de la langue française ..."délicieuse simplicité. 

My goodness, the "delicious simplicity" of a FED design.  Saying these words just melt on the tongue, because they are so true.

Yes, this is what drives me.  These cars from the 60's have no electronic plague to deal with and safety rules were fairly unknown to these cars, but introduced soon in the early 70's.  Just build the basic car as a precise scale model,  make a great detailed,  but simple motor,  and add fuel.  Right foot pressed firmly forward.

Merci.

Mike..

Edited by Mike Williams

Hello Mike,

As my friend Claude said, this is some good food for the soul and a delight to see how you master the art of welding and fabrication of body parts from aluminum. The rounded shape close to the driver just is perfect!

Can't wait to see your next update!  Masterpiece in the making...  Cheers, Francis

17 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Monsieur Claude, always a pleasure to read your comments. Thank you sincerely.

La beauté de la langue française ..."délicieuse simplicité. 

My goodness, the "delicious simplicity" of a FED design.  Saying these words just melt on the tongue, because they are so true.

Yes, this is what drives me.  These cars from the 60's have no electronic plague to deal with and safety rules were fairly unknown to these cars, but introduced soon in the early 70's.  Just build the basic car as a precise scale model,  make a great detailed,  but simple motor,  and add fuel.  Right foot pressed firmly forward.

Merci.

Mike..

Hi Mike!

On the notion of "simplicity"... That is exactly why my favorite scratchbuilt subject is Bonneville cars. Devoid of body jewelry, excess weight, down to the ground, as slippery as can be: the essence of "less is best"!

A friend  who happens to be a very well known french singer once admitted to me: "writing songs is easy... it's getting rid of all the superfluous notes and lyrics that's so hard".

He should know, since he enjoys world wide fame, and with every new album, he strives to be more and more "minimalist", to great effects. 

Amen!

CT 

@CT, yes I understand about the simplicity, and agree.  These dragsters before 1970 were uniquely simple.  Also, they are a thrill to build, and with the lack of regulated safety features the uncluttered appearance makes for very nice models on the shelf.  But I'll have to write here, the real metal helps the view immensely.

@Francis, many thanks for your appreciative support.  I just had a peel at the valve covers!  Excellent.

@Charlie, ProTech, thanks for dropping by, yes, the era makes for some nice model building.  I feel this car will look just fine sitting alongside The Old Master car.

@Larry,  thanks for looking.  I took a few days off, this build is going too quickly, what a shame.  Now the injection is being sorted out and will soon be shown.  Not much left to do here....

Thanks guys.

Mike..