Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hubley Model As never offered by Hubley

Eric Macleod

Here are two 1930 Ford Model As that Hubley never offered.  While I get it with the rare Cabriolet I always was surprised that the very common Tudor was never produced.  Taking the bull by the horns I created the Tudor from the Fordor kit and the Cabriolet from the Coupe kit. I added a passenger side sidemount spare to the Cabriolet and deleted sidemounts completely from the Tudor.  I don't think I have ever posted these here before.  Comments are always welcome. 

PhotoPictureResizer_200317_225303611_copy_1008x756.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200317_225128158_copy_1008x756.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200317_225432863_copy_1008x756.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200317_225226452_copy_1008x756.jpg

Sam is correct,  they were about 1:20 or so. Unfortunately when I built these about 15-16 years ago I never thought to take WIP photos.  I can tell you a lot of JB Weld, Bondo, Super Glue and Evergreen half round was involved. Specific to the Cabriolet,  I glued sprue to form the top bows then liberally slathered Bondo in between to form the top.

Thanks for looking in guys!

While I am not familiar with Ford Model A's myself, if I am honest, Eric these models are marvellous. I do like Hubley model cars, and they always catch my interest when I am on MCM Forums........ your work on these old Model A Fords is excellent, and something to be proud of. ( 1:20 is an odd scale, sitting between 1:24, 1:25 and 1:18 ).

David

22 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I love them!

I have every Hubley Model A in the series.  My dad would build them with me when I was a kid. I also have many extras. Do you have pics of how you did the conversions?  I would be thrilled to save them for future use.

My dad started me out on yhese as well. At one time I had every metal model made by Hubley/Gabriel.  I have misplaced a couple of them but they are around somewhere.  They form a great father/ child bond and can be easily upgraded as model building skills progress.

20 hours ago, Flat32 said:

What is the scale of the Model A series??  Your models look beautiful and I'd like to know if the scale matches Danbury diecast.

At 1:20 they are quite a bit bigger than the Danbury/Franklin Mint models. I would suggest simply displaying them on a different shelf so they don't look too weird!

3 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

While I am not familiar with Ford Model A's myself, if I am honest, Eric these models are marvellous. I do like Hubley model cars, and they always catch my interest when I am on MCM Forums........ your work on these old Model A Fords is excellent, and something to be proud of. ( 1:20 is an odd scale, sitting between 1:24, 1:25 and 1:18 ).

David

David,

I really appreciate your comments. Yes the scale is strange but I have always liked the heft and durability of these models which seem to neatly tread the line between models and toys. I am speculating here, but suspect when these kits were introduced they were intended to be more of a toy than a completely accurate scale model, though I suspect someone like Tim Boyd may know more of this sort of history.

I appreciate your comment that these are marvelous. I agree, but only from the toy-like delight they provide rather than my superior building skills (or more accurately, lack there-of). I have had thoughts of trying to build one of every Ford Model A bodystyle offered in 1930, though I think that would mean building about 14-16 more of these models to create them all.

I have also thought of really going nuts with one of these to see what could be done with one. I have considered fully detailed wiring, brake levers, and a realistic interior among other refinements. If I were to do so I would recreate one of the really rare Model A Fords, such as a '30 formal Town Car or a Ford A-400 Convertible Sedan. Maybe some day....

Again, thanks all for looking.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Those are beautiful!  Excellent job of converting the common to uncommon. Nice to see your work.

I love all Model As.

We have a Modified Diecast Class in the dscV16 Virtual Venue Model Car Championship running now through May 1. They would fit right in.  Www.dscV16.com

• 1 year later...

Eric,

Have enjoyed your pictures.  As an aside you might be interested in HubleyCustomDiecast at Facebook.  And, I have pictures of some of my Model A Fords at website Model A Ford Club of America.  Just look for Member Built Hubleys.  Always interested in discussion.  My current project is the A400 Convertible Sedan. John

• Like 1

Those are really nice models.  Arcade of Freeport, Illinois made Chevrolet, Buick and Ford model cars in the 1920s out of cast iron.  I think they were mostly in 1/20th scale.  The level of detail was not anywhere near the Hubley models, but they are nice cars to collect.  

On 12/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, John Guest said:

Eric,

Have enjoyed your pictures.  As an aside you might be interested in HubleyCustomDiecast at Facebook.  And, I have pictures of some of my Model A Fords at website Model A Ford Club of America.  Just look for Member Built Hubleys.  Always interested in discussion.  My current project is the A400 Convertible Sedan. John

Hello John, This is a great place to post WIP photos of your builds.