Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who else here is a musician or plays an instrument?

Hotrod 97

I’m curious as to how many other musicians/instrument players are here. What do you play? How long have you been playing? I’d like this thread to be about sharing and discussing musical talents and hobbies.

I’ve been playing acoustic guitar for about 6 years now. I play anything from Country to Acoustic Rock songs. I often get together and jam with a friend of mine who plays the guitar and piano. We’re actually in the process of making a cover album right now. 

I also have a cigar box guitar. It’s relatively new (I got it as a Christmas gift), and I only know one song on it so far, but I’m learning. 

And I just got a bass today. I’ll start learning the bassics (see what I did there? ?) after giving it a good tune-up. 

So, that’s me. How about you?

I started at about 6 after seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show,first time in front of an audience  in the 6th grade at a school function,then to high school sock hops.At 18 started in the dive bars,which was illegal at the time  and it was downhill from there.At 35 yo i took a 15 year break,started again until arthritis made it so i couldn't play more than 15 minuets at a time.At one point  i had 25 guitars,along with several other stringed instruments.Why did a guy need 5 Strats,4 teles, several acoustic ,Les pauls,Sg,s ,some shredder axes, i look back shaking my head.There was some good times but working a full time real job, and then running all weekend not to mention if we ever rehearsed during the week was probably not the smartest thing i did.As they say,hindsight is 20/20.My advice to someone considering taking such a path is if your gonna do it make that is your focus until it can provide a living without having to work a normal job as the ones who suffered the most was my family from me not being there,and when i was i was exhausted.Back then if you had a band and wanted to play, there was a bar on every corner with live music.

Music was always a part of my life.  Mom insisted that i learn piano at 6.  Then I played baritone in the marching band.  Picked up a Regal twelve string in college.  Still dabble in music but kind of like modeling for most people,  it is always for me.  Never anything I was really good enough to do in public.?

10 hours ago, gui_tarzan said:

I started on drums at age 12 (1975), guitar at 13 and bass at 14. My normal instrument is bass bit I have played rhythm and lead guitar in a couple of church praise bands over the years. 

10888471_10205615704542746_8959212369979292864_n.jpg

Hey Jim

is that a Fender Jazz Bass? Nice!

When I did play, I had a Rickenbacher 4001 sunburst, and a Peavey Centurion amp.

I play drums. I have played since I was about 10. Started in the concert band, went through marching band in high school, got a 5 pc set when I turned 16. Added another 5 pc set when I was in the Army. I typically play progressive rock and metal. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Circus Maximus, and a little Rush. Im trying to learn heal-toe for faster feet, because Im getting to old for the fast stuff. 

On 3/19/2020 at 8:55 PM, madhorseman said:

Hey Jim

is that a Fender Jazz Bass? Nice!

When I did play, I had a Rickenbacher 4001 sunburst, and a Peavey Centurion amp.

Yep, it's a Highway Series which is American. I looked at the others but nothing fit or felt as good as this.  I bought it new in 2004 and the finish wear is real, not faked. There's a large spot under my forearm that you can't see there. It has vintage pickups and a really cool sound recorded straight into a deck. 

I started out playing drums along with CCR, Elton John, Frampton and KISS in the mid-70s. After playing guitar for a year I discovered the bass and it was off to the races from there on. I mostly play rock, motown, blues and once in a while metal. The bands I've been in in recent years focused on blues and motown for the most part. My amp is an Ampeg SVT III running through either a Hartke 15" or an EV SRO 15". 

Edited by gui_tarzan

Played in a garage band back in school.

Played drums, bass and rhythm guitar.

Have three guitars now. A cheap Encore acoustic, a Squire Strat and an old Harmony from the late 60's early 70's that I saved from being smashed up buy a punk band and rebuilt. To be honest I haven't picked a guitar up since my grandson passed in 2015. The music just isn't in me anymore.

Also have a bass guitar kit that has been hanging around for about a decade that I need to build.

Music is my main hobby. Been playing guitar since I was 13 or so, so over 30 years now. Still play with some of the guys from high school.

Mainly metal and hard rock, but i'll play anything that isn't country music.

Currently sitting at about 20 guitars, the bulk of which are late 80s BC RIch ST-III Superstrats. LAtely though, I've been mainly playing my Jackson COW7 and my Carvin DC800.

I also hotrod and build guitars. Just helped my son finish his first build, a copy of a Jazz bass. Interesting choice for a drummer, but it's what he wanted. 

:)

EDIT: I figured I'd add some pics, because pics and stories are fun.

Here's me in my first band. The Wrath. This was 1989. I'm the goof in the Anthrax shirt and the white pointy guitar. We had been a band for about two months, and I had been playing the guitar for maybe six months at this time. The even was The cItadel Theatre's Teen Battle of The Bands. We showed up a little late, and had no time to tune up or soundcheck. Batteries in our other guitar player's effects were toast, so he had no distortion at all. We limped our way through five songs. A couple of covers: Liar by The Sex Pistols, School's Out by Alice Cooper, and some originals. It was pretty horrible. However, we did end up on Canada's version on MTV, Much Music, which was covering the event. You could see us setting up while they focused on the band that played previously...the band that won the entire competition.

I'm still friends with the other guitar player, and the bass player is my best friend, we still hang out and play all the time.

TheWrath2.jpg.96e3cdbbc5780899d3827c836bc4a89c.jpg

Fast forward a couple of years. This was my first non-metal band. Mother May I was a lot of fun. Myself and the same bass player from above started this one. We even had some semi-pro photos taken. I'm the tall one in the back. Seemed to have worked, because it got us gigs. Made a little money with this band too. Played typical 90s rock, kind of like Collective Soul. TYpical 90s grunge fashion. Old jeans, flannel, sweaters, long sleeves, Doc Marten's on our feet. Good times. Again, bass player and I are still tight. The other guitarist (the one with the hair curtains) and I still hang out regularly, I'm sort of in touch with our bald singer, and we have all lost touch with our drummer. She was a monster player.

1063666137_MMI962.jpg.667c5b3ccaf5a13ec37ea6f4cad933e9.jpg

1087346495_MMI96Dan.jpg.094d36bc1577901b3967c89ae79a6f41.jpg  1922832339_MMI96DanandRoss.jpg.762b420d0d743b0ae593efd6cad2f479.jpg

I was into music at a young age, I think The Rooftop Singers doing "Walk right in, set right down" around '62, early Elvis Pressley, and of course, then came the Beatles, the sixties opened up amazingly. So at first, I learned to play drums, maybe 13 or 14 years old, and I was the drummer in a Jr. High School band called the "Fillet of Soul". That came and went. In high school, for a Senior Talent Show, a bunch of kids from the Drama Dept put together a musical play set in the 50s-60s, like "Grease". I was approached to be a part of that, only because I had sideburns and a pomp hair-do, and knew a lot of old songs. The drama kids left, one-by-one, and were replaced with guys who really did play music, if not very well....at first. Eventually, and for 23 years, 13 of which that were full time musician-only years, I was one of the lead singers in an act that worked full-time, had Managers, Agents, Roadies, two trucks to haul our gear. I've traveled the world, lots of Corporate work, worked all the gambling towns...Vegas, Reno, Tahoe, Atlantic City, sung in a few commercials, did some movie soundtrack work, opened for many, many original rock acts, county fairs, you name it. Yes, we started in small bars, but we got better and better, and lived a life gone today, but not forgotten.

I still consider myself a musician, and a singer, even though I don't make my living doing so any more. The music is still in me, I still listen over and over to good harmonies and interesting chord structures. Today, I'm 65,  the young man who performed ,is still here in an older man's body. Here's a few photos of "those days"......First shot in leather jacket is High school, duet is with Bill Medley of Righteous Bros, guys in red are Lil Anthony and the Imperials, various shots of me performing...I have scads of photos....

35456_131494256874197_100000408708722_264113_8115865_n.jpg

Bill Medley of Righteous Bros and Spike.jpg

My favorite promo, rarely used.jpg

Spike during Gloria routine.jpg

White Suit, on stage.jpg

performing with Little Anthony and the Imperials.jpg

Reno, Spike and Nate (on drums).jpg

night performance, Kern County Fairgrounds.jpg

Edited by spike morelli

Back in the '80s I was with an Aztec dance group in L.A. Sometimes if I wasn't performing, I'd join in with the percussion on the native instruments (big and small wooden drums, tortoise shells, etc.) Let me try to upload a file in edit mode; if it doesn't show up you know it's frozen again.

793264667_aztecmecincodemayo85.jpg.0a004bea6f78dc8bdf8bdf495413647e.jpg

(OK, had to put the file on a thumb drive and go to another computer. Better get a new hard drive for the main machine, pronto. That's me in the black and white shirt.)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I like to joke that I have no musical talent. In fact I'm so bad, I don't even play the radio well. 

All joking aside, I did take voice lessons back in college. And I do sing to the students and other staff at the school I work at, every morning. A short version of the "Good Morning" song from Singing in the Rain. At different times of the day, if appropriate, I'll start singing weird novelty songs. Like the Shaving Cream song. Or Lydia the Tatooed Lady. I'm a weird guy. But, somehow most the kids (and staff) seem to like it. I've actually received cards, from both kids and staff, thanking me, especially for doing the Good Morning song every morning. 

Edited by unclescott58

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

I like to joke that I have no musical talent. In fact I'm so bad, I don't even play the radio well. 

Me either! No musical talent at all! One of the sad things in my life as I have music in my soul and no way to get it out! I cannot sing and have never played an instrument.

It is hard listening to all the music I love now. I can't sing along any more.

Throat scarring from acid reflux that has become Barrerts Esophagus has taken its toll on my voice.

I could sing some lower keyed country for quite a few years but now can't even do that.

The only time I will sing along is by myself in the car with the windows up!

I'm 70 and still play guitar, started when I was 12 and played in several bands in New Zealand in the 60s and 70s. It was my full-time job for some of those years.

At the moment I have an old PRS Custom 24 and run it through a 30 year-old Mesa Boogie Caliber 50. I haven't played a gig in 25 years but still play most days at home or with friends.

Me with Les Paul, 1972:

GibsonFane-vi.jpg

Played trumpet in jr. and high school band, sang baritone with the school and county choruses. Started learning guitar, got hired to sing with a couple of going nowhere rock bands that played gigs like the teen canteen and the enlisted men's club at the AFB. Never got very good with the guitar, but kept singing. Picked up a bass, and it was like coming home. Played that and sang until the end of HS.

Picked up the horn not too long ago, and can barely get a dying-cat screech out of it.

Clarinet in middle and high school (because my mom had one!), baritone sax in dance band, bass drum in marching band, guitar, mandolin, and banjo as interest in bluegrass took hold.  Not great on any of them but many fond memories of jam sessions and a few public appearances.  I think band is what kept me in school long enough to graduate.

I, like R. Scott & Tom, consider myself lucky that I can play the radio.  Never learned to play an instrument, and you surely don't want to hear me sing!  My children, on the other hand, are quite talented musically.  My daughter plays Bb & Eb clarinet, and my son plays oboe, English Horn, guitar, and sings in the HS Select Choir.

Now singing I can do - within a certain range. I love a good karaoke night, although I drove my friends nuts looking through every single song they had to avoid the ones with extended high notes. One of my happiest times was when I got a big ovation at a packed bar for "La Bamba" - can't quite match Ritchie Valens, but I can give David Hidalgo of Los Lobos a run for his money tango_face_grin.png.7c233aa06d489e7bd15bb2e9d168b3e1.png.

Conversely, at a karaoke night for my car club, I picked "Light My Fire". To my surprise the track had the LONG instrumental break - so what to do? I improvised a weather report, then laid down on stage and pretended to take a nap until the vocal started again.

Now both my brothers - and their kids - got the real musical talent in the family. Middle brother was a sax player from grade school through college, and ended up as a high school band director for over thirty years. Youngest one has played trumpet since he was a kid - mostly jazz and big band; even getting into a pickup group that backed the Temptations for a Chicago gig.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• 1 month later...

I was a "musician"... for about 3 days, I was in grade 9. We made one song, the song was horrible. Then we broke up. The song was about buying a goat on impulse, and how the goat was great purchase at first, but then it ate his house and his dog at some point, essentially ruining the guys life. Nothing but open zombie chords the whole time it was a mess really. 

Edited by Gumball

• 5 months later...