Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who else here is a musician or plays an instrument?

Hotrod 97

I have tried several times to learn guitar. For some reason my brain and fingers just can't seem to line up. I played clarinet in middle school and sang in choir in high school. I can read music, just can't seem to get things lined up playing guitar.

36 minutes ago, ksnow said:

I have tried several times to learn guitar. For some reason my brain and fingers just can't seem to line up. 

When I was 12 I got a very nice Framis folk guitar for Christmas. I had big plans!

My parents hired a lady who was giving guitar lessons on the army post where we lived.  First day she asked me to hold out my hands. She shook her head and said, “short stubby fingers.. you’ll never play a guitar!”  And she left!

I was devastated!  I never did learn but for some reason I still have that guitar! It’s sitting on display in my basement rec room.

I just finished this a couple weeks ago, I've tried to learn guitar on and off for about 25 years and my fat fingers put me off it every time. I built this from a kit with 5 strings to give me a little more string spacing, so far it seems to be helping clean my chords up. I've got a Tele style built also, I just need to finish the soldering. 

20200831_100718.thumb.jpg.18d7b519132ba798e48d7d6eacc1f6a0.jpg

In Grade 4, the music teacher calmly took the recorder from my hands and said "go join the choir, son". I stayed in the choir throughout school and for a couple years sang harmony with a female lead singer in a local, on again/off again rock band. It is a regret of mine (and I don't have many) that I never did learn an instument. Piano music speaks to me and I wish I'd learned.

6 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

Nice kit. I had to sell my Mapex M Birch 6 piece kit about 10 years ago when the company I was working for decided to shut down.

I didn't let this go, though:

pearl-vinnie-paul-signature-8-x14-snare-drum-179527.jpg

I was never wild about tube lugs, but I really do like that wrap. My next set will probably be Ludwig maple, or even Mahogany, whenever that might occur. For a brief time, I had a Pearl Mahogany tom, 11x13, that sounded utterly amazing.