Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just an old barn

Rusty92

Looking interesting. I also use water based paint for weathered basswood surfaces and will give you a suggestion to age some age to those boards. I sand them with the grain with those foam center finger nail sanding sticks you can find in any Walmart beauty section. I use a very aggressive grit and am always pleased with the end result. You might try a spare board to start with and vary the pressure you apply to have more  color left at the top of the boards than at the bottom similar to real life painted stuff exposed to decades of wind,rain and sun damage. Good luck and be sure to post your progress here.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, misterNNL said:

Looking interesting. I also use water based paint for weathered basswood surfaces and will give you a suggestion to age some age to those boards. I sand them with the grain with those foam center finger nail sanding sticks you can find in any Walmart beauty section. I use a very aggressive grit and am always pleased with the end result. You might try a spare board to start with and vary the pressure you apply to have more  color left at the top of the boards than at the bottom similar to real life painted stuff exposed to decades of wind,rain and sun damage. Good luck and be sure to post your progress here.

Thanks for the info! I have some lying around that I will try! 

On 3/24/2020 at 6:19 PM, DrKerry said:

Looks good so far!!

Thank you!

On 3/31/2020 at 7:26 PM, Scott8950 said:

Thats a big barn but it looks great

Thank you kindly!

I got the base started. I think it looks pretty good. Want to add a few more cracks and gouges though.

6800CF96-DF64-4E70-AAE7-95F669818683.thumb.jpeg.ed2843b52237b9c15845c0b0a4ba9624.jpeg

1682BFFB-7959-48CD-A945-6325D4B18442.thumb.jpeg.f1d8318b5fffad2df916dc524ed48f4b.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Around here an "old" barn is something built in the 1800's. There are some still standing and the owners are friendly enough to allow me to take photos and measurements. I have plans to build one "someday" .These old survivors are built using hand hewn beams from local old growth hardwood timber(mostly oak). Those beams are fun to replicate and weather.

• 11 months later...