Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1979 Trans Am quick re-work.

Dragonhawk1066

Did this one two years ago and wasn't too happy with how it looked, but at the time I just wanted it off the bench. I took it apart a couple of months ago and adjusted the windshield, the stance, and front wheelbase issue. I also added some details that I omitted earlier, like trim around the doors, door handles and locks, and front emblem. I also changed the wheels to the 20" Snowflakes that I had gotten from "forward resin" on ebay. Unfortunately, with as many times as the front fascia had fallen off and been re-glued, this was the best I could get it. Despite that, I am much happier with the way it looks now compared to when I originally finished it. The first pic is the "before" pic. The color is Testors One Coat Icy Blue.

DSCN2948.JPG

DSCN4054.JPG

DSCN4056 (2).JPG

DSCN4057 (2).JPG

DSCN4058 (2).JPG

DSCN4060.JPG

DSCN4062 (2).JPG

DSCN4063 (2).JPG

DSCN4067.JPG

DSCN4070.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

21 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Very nice.. I had a black 79 when i went to high school it had the 403 olds on it and while it was anything but fast it was a fun car.

Edited by Scott8950

5 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Very nice.. I had a black 79 when i went to high school it had the 403 olds on it and while it was anything but fast it was a fun car.

Thanks My brother bought a black '81 back in 1986. It was a nice car but it had the 301, WOOF!!??.

4 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Beautiful, the color looks great on the car.  I love this body style, I owned a 73 Camaro Rally Sport, wish I still had it today.  Great job.

Thanks Peter.Thanks Larry.

18 minutes ago, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice work and awesome look in blue !!??

Thanks Bisiaux.

I probably should have listed the color, it's Testors One Coat Icy Blue over I believe white primer, but I can't remember completely. 

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

On 3/19/2020 at 11:36 AM, Scott8950 said:

I had a '78 T/A, the last year they had the real 6.6 litre, the Pontiac made 400 engine. Fortunately, a good friend's dad owned an inspection station was a rebel rouser. We broke emissions laws and put a custom dual exhaust in it, REAL dual exhaust, with two empty canister catalytic converters (fakes) and bypassed all emissions stuff. Yes, it was wrong and we were bad, but the car became an untamed beast and I drove like a maniac back then. (I was young). 

TAAA.jpg

1 hour ago, John1955 said:

I had a '78 T/A, the last year they had the real 6.6 litre, the Pontiac made 400 engine. Fortunately, a good friend's dad owned an inspection station was a rebel rouser. We broke emissions laws and put a custom dual exhaust in it, REAL dual exhaust, with two empty canister catalytic converters (fakes) and bypassed all emissions stuff. Yes, it was wrong and we were bad, but the car became an untamed beast and I drove like a maniac back then. (I was young). 

TAAA.jpg

Thats a nice Trans am