Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
my66s55

1935 LaSalle convertible coupe-a 3d printed model

Recommended Posts

I'm in the final stages of finishing this project. It took 144 separate cad files and 73 files to print.  There are 9 small cad files to create and 1 file to yet finish. To create this project, I first had to create it in a complete cad form. Each 3d printable parts in there own file. This is the current composite.

1804300967_Screenshotfrom2020-03-1910-46-45.png.128746711ac8610d193ea2f50ef836a8.png

718707604_Screenshotfrom2020-03-1910-47-52.png.690912dd91987b92f1416cadffa31650.png724303165_Screenshotfrom2020-03-1910-45-21.png.d6f97584724ab6b955b8afa6306d1baa.png12129054_Screenshotfrom2020-03-1910-46-09.png.ac4f0e844ab2fbf1d9b991d4afe0d7cb.png1537252069_35LaSalle.png.29fb9a700b7794ef36574d167f438719.png

I will provide pic's of printed parts as they become available. Don't hesitate to ask questions, comment or suggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you obtain your dimensional data to create your files? Unusual but very interesting subject matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Where did you obtain your dimensional data to create your files? Unusual but very interesting subject matter.

The service manuals are available and free.

1565805353_35bodydimentions.jpeg.441afd42c31662b9203c4fc7c31af971.jpeg1218075967_35framedimentions.jpeg.f8acf966acee55f66d46f4bb29489092.jpeg506580648_35framespecks.jpeg.e253caa10d8c4eee51a37c4f1f9fc8e4.jpeg1247648422_35interiordimentions.jpeg.0234fe3c60bbc231b3e7b6cdd978062b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Nice detail on the chassis, but those proportions are bugging me.

What are your thoughts, Richard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

What are your thoughts, Richard.

Off the top of my head, the wheels are too small compared to the size of the tires, the body is too high, the windshield too low, and the cross section of that rear fender is too square. There needs to be more of a slope to the  grille opening,  and the top of that grille opening should be rounder, as should be the whole cross section of that hood and cowl.   The beltline also has a slight curve to it, and there's also an extra character line.  Actually, here are a couple of photos of a 1935 LaSalle convertible so you can see for yourself what needs to be tweaked.

28735910188_809cd5e26e_b.jpg

16522364691_995fccf6b4_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

The service manuals are available and free.

1565805353_35bodydimentions.jpeg.441afd42c31662b9203c4fc7c31af971.jpeg1218075967_35framedimentions.jpeg.f8acf966acee55f66d46f4bb29489092.jpeg506580648_35framespecks.jpeg.e253caa10d8c4eee51a37c4f1f9fc8e4.jpeg1247648422_35interiordimentions.jpeg.0234fe3c60bbc231b3e7b6cdd978062b.jpeg

A wonderful source of information to be sure

 

49 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

The service manuals are available and free.

1565805353_35bodydimentions.jpeg.441afd42c31662b9203c4fc7c31af971.jpeg1218075967_35framedimentions.jpeg.f8acf966acee55f66d46f4bb29489092.jpeg506580648_35framespecks.jpeg.e253caa10d8c4eee51a37c4f1f9fc8e4.jpeg1247648422_35interiordimentions.jpeg.0234fe3c60bbc231b3e7b6cdd978062b.jpeg

That's a wonderful source of information to be sure. Please keep us posted on your progress by posting the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you work from pictures, you have to collect hundreds of examples. Such was the problem with the poster who created a Delehaye f&f 135. The biggest flaw with photos is the tunnel effect. The only part of the picture that is most accurate  is the very closest. The rest suffer from the tunnel effect. That's why you need as many pics as you can find to try to get a more accurate example. You may be correct about the windshield though. Thanks Richard, I value your opinion very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheel and tire dimensions should be readily available to make sure they are correct on the model.

The 3D drawing is amazing!  Do you have an idea how many hours you put into this project so far?

Edited by peteski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

When you work from pictures, you have to collect hundreds of examples. Such was the problem with the poster who created a Delehaye f&f 135. The biggest flaw with photos is the tunnel effect. The only part of the picture that is most accurate  is the very closest. The rest suffer from the tunnel effect. That's why you need as many pics as you can find to try to get a more accurate example. You may be correct about the windshield though. Thanks Richard, I value your opinion very much.

Been there, done that, and totally agree.  There are hundreds of LaSalle photos out there.  I just picked two that were the most representative of what I was trying to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have scaled the wheels and tires to size I have for Firestones of the period found. I started this project 2014 and there is a post of such. I'm not a cad designer, so my work is slow and tedious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much appreciated. Richard. {lease feel free to chime in any time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

I have scaled the wheels and tires to size I have for Firestones of the period found. I started this project 2014 and there is a post of such. I'm not a cad designer, so my work is slow and tedious.

I wonder if you used the tire's bead diameter for the rim size?  Rims are about 1.5" larger than the bead size.  So a 15" tire will have rim that has a visible diameter of 16.5". That makes a visible difference.

Edited by peteski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mucho respect for what you're doing here.

Not easy by any means!!

Pete--thanks for the comment on actual rim diameter (above). I know I've made that mistake in 3D modeling when matching my wheels to 15" templates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, peteski said:

I wonder if you used the tire's bead diameter for the rim size?  Rims are about 1.5" larger than the bead size.  So a 15" tire will have rim that has a visible diameter of 16.5". That makes a visible difference.

Thanks. I'll check it out and make adjustments. The wheels are listed as 16".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

Thanks. I'll check it out and make adjustments. The wheels are listed as 16".

So the actual visible rim diameter would be 17.5".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, peteski said:

So the actual visible rim diameter would be 17.5".

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I printed out 2 test print of the front clip and body to check for errors and fit for both pieces. Everything looks good.IMG_20200320_121950884_HDR.thumb.jpg.b68a3b7ee1ad60964184cc8c60ca5042.jpgIMG_20200320_122021365.jpg.f198fd0c36f24efb6ef1b416a268e353.jpgIMG_20200320_122028224_HDR.thumb.jpg.040a59c436a1ee8e99c05705e2b78570.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh man, that's cool. Much respect for what you have accomplished already. I'd be happy with just the test subjects. BTW- what are your plans for them?

Later-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very impressed.  Your commitment to seeing the project through is incredible.  

As an FYI,  the yellow car posted above belongs (or used to belong) to Bob Lutz, former president of both Chrysler and later GM. I have seen the car in the flesh and is truly fantastic. 

I look forward to updates on this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoops...my error.   Bob's car is a 34. Oddly the top photo was taken at the Gilmore Car Museum with the Lincoln building in the background! Both shots were taken 20 miles from my house at the Gilmore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 1:54 AM, Modlbldr said:

Ooh man, that's cool. Much respect for what you have accomplished already. I'd be happy with just the test subjects. BTW- what are your plans for them?

Later-

Throw them away.

Edited by my66s55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...