Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor and LA’s Totally AWSOME??

I can't speak for the LA's stuff, but Super Clean will take it off in a couple of days as long as there is prime under it.

I guess there are really no definitive answers to this question as there are a lot of variables depending on how the model was finished, but in general, as long as you use a "powerful" degreaser, like Super Clean, and not one of the cheap knock offs, you should get good results in 2 or 3 days.

Be aware that these solutions will not touch the lacquer at all.

They work by dissolving the primer underneath allowing the paint to loosen and come off in sheets.

If you painted the inside of the body as well as the outside, it would be beneficial to put a few scratches in the paint down to the primer to allow the solution to penetrate into the primer.

If the inside of the body is unpainted, it's unnecessary.

The degreaser will work it's way from the inside to the outside.

I use Super Clean almost exclusively for this job, and it always works for me, even with using as many as 14 coats of primer, lacquer and clear.

Steve

The temperature of the stripping solution also makes a big difference  in its potency.  Cold stipping solution is less effective than warm one.  80-90 deg. F solution will work much better than one at 50-60 deg. F.  And yes, there are so many kinds of paint formulas that there is no single best answer. That is why there is a very long sticky thread about paint strippers here in this section of the forum.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I use Super Clean almost exclusively for this job, and it always works for me, even with using as many as 14 coats of primer, lacquer and clear.

Steve

14 coats?

45 minutes ago, 2zwudz said:

Is Super Clean something I can find at a OReillys or autzone or is it a household product?

Amazon sells it.

48 minutes ago, peteski said:

The temperature of the stripping solution also makes a big difference  in its potency.  Cold stipping solution is less effective than warm one.  80-90 deg. F solution will work much better than one at 50-60 deg. F.  And yes, there are so many kinds of paint formulas that there is no single best answer. That is why there is a very long sticky thread about paint strippers here in this section of the forum.

Absolutely!

The warmer it is, the better.

Steve

32 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

14 coats?

Yes sir. ;)

Here's the break down on this particular build.

1 coat of Testors lacquer primer

4 coats of Duplicolor "primer sealer"

1 coat of Duplicolor "Desert Sand Mica"

3 coats of Scale Finishes "Cinnamon Bronze"

5 coats of Duplicolor "Protective Clear Coat Finish"

image.jpeg.c5bc44ce72940eff117c7e2acfff3eb6.jpeg

Steve

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

OReilly's carries it.

I buy mine there.

Get the gallon jug, not the spray bottle.

My understanding is the stuff in the spray bottle has been diluted.

Steve

Interesting!  I bought one of the spray bottles so I could try it out without spending the extra $3 on a whole gallon (Mr Tightwad over here ?)...and I’ve been really pleased with how it performs.  If the gallon bottles really are stronger then I’ll definitely get on well with those!

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Interesting!  I bought one of the spray bottles so I could try it out without spending the extra $3 on a whole gallon (Mr Tightwad over here ?)...and I’ve been really pleased with how it performs.  If the gallon bottles really are stronger then I’ll definitely get on well with those!

I am not certain about that fact Jim.

It was just my understanding that the spray bottles were diluted.

I could very well be wrong about that.

In any case, it's better to get the gallon jug.

You can fill up a large enough container so that the entire model is submerged and there is ample room for all of the parts that need to be stripped.

Steve

1 hour ago, wisdonm said:

Do you rattle can or decant an airbrush?  Beautiful paint job, by the way.

If that question was directed at me Don, I don't decant anything.

The primers, Dupicolor paint and clear were all shot directly from the can.

The only thing air brushed were the Cinnamon Bronze color coats.

Even the vinyl top and fender stripes were shot from a rattle can.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller