Model Cars Magazine Forum

COVID-19 has brought out the tinfoil hat crowd again...

Mike C

24 minutes ago, Ctmodeler said:

People... This Corona virus is not a joke. People will be dying from this. Just look at the numbers going around. Stay home and build models ! Please

That is what I'm doing! along with

counting flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all,

playing solitaire til dawn with a deck of 51!

I don't smoke cigarettes and Captain Kangaroo ain't on any more!

36 minutes ago, Ctmodeler said:

People... This Corona virus is not a joke. People will be dying from this. Just look at the numbers going around. Stay home and build models ! Please

And let's try to keep the hand-wringing concern in perspective.

Look at the numbers indeed.

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.

Coronavirus cases, by comparison...13,622 illnesses and 189 deaths.

Where was the economy-crippling panic due to the flu?

People are acting like this bug is an automatic death sentence. It's not. Period. If you're basically healthy, it's just a bad flu-like couple of weeks at most, and many people who are exposed don't even get the sniffles. If you're old and have pre-existing respiratory and/or cardiac conditions, you should be very careful. And if you know people like that, you should avoid them to protect them from infection, as carriers can show no symptoms but may transmit the bug.

Otherwise, a little calm and rational thought might be good at this point.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And let's try to keep the hand-wringing concern in perspective.

Look at the numbers indeed.

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.

Coronavirus cases, by comparison...13,622 illnesses and 189 deaths.

Where was the economy-crippling panic due to the flu?

People are acting like this bug is an automatic death sentence. It's not. Period. If you're basically healthy, it's just a bad flu-like couple of weeks at most, and many people who are exposed don't even get the sniffles. If you're old and have pre-existing respiratory and/or cardiac conditions, you should be very careful. And if you know people like that, you should avoid them to protect them from infection, as carriers can show no symptoms but may transmit the bug.

Otherwise, a little calm and rational thought might be good at this point.

it's not the flu - 

It's not the flu and experience in other countries shows it.

The numbers for coronovirus come up short in the U.S. because the number of test kits has been inadequate at best.  Nobody knows how many people have the virus that haven't been identified.  We'll start seeing real numbers in the next couple of weeks when more testing can be completed. We're only a little over two weeks into it and the numbers are doubling every six days (some say as three and a half days) depending on who's counting.

Coronovirus is much more contagious and the death rate is 20 times the flu - 0.1% for the flu,  2% in round numbers for covid-19 (1.5 to 3.5%)  listen to NPR and the experienced professionals on the daily Coronovirous Task Force. for facts, not fear..  There is no vaccine and the cure is a year away bu most estimates.  Things are changing g constantly at this point

It's really a case of bad information is worse than no information at all.

The big factor here is that the numbers grow so quickly that we already have hospitals that have run out of certain pieces of personal protective equipment for medical staff - there is not enough PPE  to do regular work.  Doctors are being targeted on coronovirous patients instead of their regular patients and if we don't' all make changes to control the number of people that are exposed, we will be over capacity on hospital space and ICU's within two or three weeks.   Facts, not fear.

I feel for the people here on the forum that are affected in their job or their health.  It really sucks.  If posting here helps them out, I'm good with it.  Sharing real experience will be helpful to them and others that are facing the same situation. But this is a model car forum and misinformation doesn't  help and it-doesn't belong here.

Edited by Muncie

6 minutes ago, Muncie said:

...It's really a case of bad information is worse than no information at all...

...Facts, not fear...

I feel for the people here on the forum that are affected in their job or their health.  It really sucks.  If posting here helps them out, I'm good with it.  Sharing real experience will be hlpful to them and othethers that are facing the same situation. But this is a model car forum and the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH posted here doesn't  help and it-doesn't belong here.

I assume you're targeting my comment, as you quoted it.

Every word I posted is fact.

Every    single    word.

Here's some more facts: a quinine derivative used for treating malaria has shown very positive results as a treatment once you have the bug (though that was misidentified elsewhere on the forum as being a malaria "vaccination", and a vaccine is now in phase one of clinical trials, though it will be months before it becomes widely available even if it proves to be effective.

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Every    single    word.

Here's some more facts: a quinine derivative used for treating malaria has shown very positive results as a treatment once you have the bug (though that was misidentified elsewhere on the forum as being a malaria "vaccination", and a vaccine is now in phase one of clinical trials, though it will be months before it becomes widely available even if it proves to be effective.

Facts, yes - but missing a lot of important details which changes what they mean...  What you're  saying  looks like "hey, no problem this is normal stuff" but that's not reality. 

With all of the information out there, I''ll stick to other sources.

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Every    single    word.

Lets hope your facts are not true. These are based on the numbers you posted. I hope none of us get it.

Flu: 1 out of every 1.6 million die.

COVID-19: 1 out of every 72 die

13 hours ago, Mike C said:

Since when are conspiracy theories political? 

Since when is Rolling Stone considered a nonpartisan, unbiased source of information? They're clearly political and everything in it is political. 

16 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Since when is Rolling Stone considered a nonpartisan, unbiased source of information? They're clearly political and everything in it is political. 

Certainly more credible than anything from Fox News.. Rolling Stone has long been known as a source of good long-form journalism.

Edited by Rob Hall

26 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Certainly more credible than anything from Fox News.. Rolling Stone has long been known as a source of good long-form journalism.

Such as reporting campus rapes that never happened? Please. :rolleyes:

Guys, we are going to go stir crazy being cooped up for the immediate future. This site needs to be a place we can come for a respite from all the pressures we are feeling.

So let’s start some new builds and post our progress. Maybe pull out an old build and finish it? The diversion will help your mental state.

As a population we are in the target age group and a lot of people we know have compromised conditions. And they are scared.  So maybe we all pull together and support each other as a community?

4 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Guys, we are going to go stir crazy being cooped up for the immediate future. This site needs to be a place we can come for a respite from all the pressures we are feeling.

So let’s start some new builds and post our progress. Maybe pull out an old build and finish it? The diversion will help your mental state.

As a population we are in the target age group and a lot of people we know have compromised conditions. And they are scared.  So maybe we all pull together and support each other as a community?

Agree completely. That's why I suggested this thread not be allowed to get off the ground. It was clearly going to go off the rails from Jump Street. :(

58 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Agree completely. That's why I suggested this thread not be allowed to get off the ground. It was clearly going to go off the rails from Jump Street. :(

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Absolutely!  Support each other, stay safe and build model cars

Why is this topic still allowed to pollute this forum?  I could go off on some of the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH being said, that's why I said
THIS IS A TRAP
because I would get banned from this forum for exercising my First Amendment (knowing there are members in other countries that don't have freedom of speech, this is a very important point I'm making).  I'm here to escape from the freaking "news", all of us can go elsewhere and pontificate.  Thought there are rules for a reason, can the Admins enforce them?

------------------------

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE:
1398807819_Charmintruck.jpg.1db63a03bc9fce2ff422620aca222369.jpg
1620457677_Brinkstruck.jpg.18b40147092ca1a8b1dbb379185dcd2e.jpg

6 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Why is this topic still allowed to pollute this forum?  I could go off on some of the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH being said,

And that’s why I try to put a “post of reason” in these threads. I’m hoping people just calm down and support one another.

Well aside from the link in the first post, which may be political (I didn't click it and I bet a lot of others didn't either) this thread was allowed to remain, as long as it remained civil, so members could voice their concerns about something that dominates the news. As usual, it has turned members against each other, just like a lot of the threads in the Off-Topic area. Maybe we should just make this STRICTLY a model forum and not allow any other discussions. I know my life would be easier if the Off-Topic area wasn't here. Keep it civil or don't post.

It's all fun and games until you or someone you know gets the virus. Then the numbers and percentages won't matter. It wont matter that they did or didn't shut down your favorite bar, your town or state. A very large number of members of this forum are older and many have existing health conditions that really put them at risk if they get it. Remember that if you are asking about someone in the Where's Waldo section this summer.