Model Cars Magazine Forum

You were a talented aircraft modeler. I'll bet you still are! These are very nice!

Like you, I used to consider myself mainly an airplane guy, but for about the last 10 years, I've mainly done cars. They're just more fun, and fewer "rivet counters" ragging on your work. B)

4 hours ago, High octane said:

The Revell 1/48th scale F4U-4.

Ah! The old Monogram kit from about 1964. 

It has its accuracy and detail issues, so I wouldn't advice dropping a bunch of time and aftermarket $$$ on it. But that doesn't mean it can't be a FUN and enjoyable, nostalgia/retro build. I've done two of them, have another one ready to go into the paint shop, and will probably build another one or two somewhere along the line. Have FUN with it and post pics of it when you're finished! B)

I would have to say that quite a few of the WWII aircraft I have done in the past were Monogram. The Monogram kits were, in fact, the older sixties re-issues, but they are good bang-for-the-buck, and, they take nicely to just a bit of detailing. Of course, I have done some of the import offerings, like Tamiya ( did I spell that right? ), but the inexpensive domestic kits work up very impressive. I had a handle on using my airbrush for the camoflage. Today, doing the hot rods, I just shot right from the rattle can.

I ended up with three glass display cases full of aircraft, maybe 60 different builds, from a little Stearman trainer to the Enola Gay B-29, all in 1/48 scale. Today, they are on display at North Valley Aviation Occupational School, where I also went to school to learn aircraft mechanics. Photo is 20 years ago....

aircraft mechanic.jpg

Nice!  Love them all but that F-80 Shooting Star is really nice!

I used to do aircraft as well but a mix of scales. From 1/32 to 1/48 to 1/72 to 1/100 to 1/144  to oddball scales.

Currently working on my first aircraft model (helicopter) in over a decade.

Thanks,

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Uh, no it isn't. Take another look. B)

Yep, that's the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver dive bomber. A much-hated aircraft whose crews said "SB2C" meant "Son of a B**** Second Class."  It was supposed to replace the Douglas Dauntless, but had so many bugs that the Dauntless soldiered (or sailored) on till the end of WWII.

The Monogram "Pro-Modeler" kit of the Helldiver comes with a photo-etch sheet that includes perforated dive brakes and other useful parts.  If you want a more unusual build painted Olive Drab instead of blue, the Helldiver was built for the US Army as the A-25 Shrike.  The French Navy also used them in the First Indochina War, with some colorful markings.

On 3/21/2020 at 12:08 AM, spike morelli said:

I would have to say that quite a few of the WWII aircraft I have done in the past were Monogram. The Monogram kits were, in fact, the older sixties re-issues, but they are good bang-for-the-buck, and, they take nicely to just a bit of detailing. Of course, I have done some of the import offerings, like Tamiya ( did I spell that right? ), but the inexpensive domestic kits work up very impressive. I had a handle on using my airbrush for the camoflage. Today, doing the hot rods, I just shot right from the rattle can.

I ended up with three glass display cases full of aircraft, maybe 60 different builds, from a little Stearman trainer to the Enola Gay B-29, all in 1/48 scale. Today, they are on display at North Valley Aviation Occupational School, where I also went to school to learn aircraft mechanics. Photo is 20 years ago....

aircraft mechanic.jpg

Always nice to see someone doing something with a Bugsmasher! I was happy to see that ICM tooled up a nice 1:48 Expeditor kit (now offered by Revell), because the 1:72 offerings were pretty weak in detail and accuracy (esp. the Hobbycraft version, looks like a straight pantograph of the PM molds). I still enjoy building aircraft, even though my completion rate has shrunk to (maybe) 1-2 kits per year.

14 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Yep, that's the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver dive bomber. A much-hated aircraft whose crews said "SB2C" meant "Son of a B**** Second Class."  It was supposed to replace the Douglas Dauntless, but had so many bugs that the Dauntless soldiered (or sailored) on till the end of WWII.

The Monogram "Pro-Modeler" kit of the Helldiver comes with a photo-etch sheet that includes perforated dive brakes and other useful parts.  If you want a more unusual build painted Olive Drab instead of blue, the Helldiver was built for the US Army as the A-25 Shrike.  The French Navy also used them in the First Indochina War, with some colorful markings.

Oh my God! You guys are so right. How the heck did I post that!  I stand corrected,  and this is embarassing. I've grown up with WWII aircraft. My Dad specialized in P&W 2800 recip parts, and I hold an A&P license. I do know better......I'll take my 50 lashes now,....... My mind obviously farted for a moment, as it's obviously an SB2C. I just edited the post.

Edited by spike morelli

Nice collection.  I really like the Rufe - built that one when I was 19 or so.  There's something about float planes I really like.  About 2/3rds of what I build are aircraft.  For a nice first kit experience try the original release Tamiya Spitfire Mk1.  (61032 ).  Low parts count and fits perfectly and since the new tool release these are cheap.