Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carpenter's Sandwiches

Flat32

This is a scene I've chosen for a diorama that I'd like to have.  Got a car collection that will fill the lot. It has a fairly simple structure with surfaces mostly decorated with signage. The square tile surfaces should be easy enough.  The scene is pretty much devoid of weathering that I don't have the skills for.  The scene even has a repair garage on the far side that is a simple box shape with a couple doors.  I'm guessing most if not all of the detail doodads are available.  I can create the structure in the computer, but building it scares me. I think I have adequate photo references. What I don't have is a history of finishing scale model projects.

Carpenter's Sandwiches.jpg

That looks to be an interesting choice of subject for a diorama, Raymond....... I guess I am kinda surprised that this is a colour photograph, as I would have expected it to be in B&W...... around what year would this scene be?  You don't need to be scared of building a diorama, and you will quite quickly become engrossed in the process as you gain confidence, I'm sure.  Good luck with finishing this project!

David

I have seen this photo before and based on the ages of the vehicles in it I would think it is somewhere in the late 1920's. This might just be one best of those projects to display and label as "being inspired by" your original rather than an exact replica of it. I hope you decide to build it and look forward to seeing your posted photos.

Wish I had more sedans.  I saw one photo taken in 1932 and the building was the same.  I suspect it was built in the mid 20's.  My car collection has black model T's and goes up to a couple 1933 Fords and one 1934 wrecker that can pass.  Might up the prices a couple cents though. It's easier for me to make the computer model a replica and use it as a blueprint rather than grabbing whatever materials and letting the materials compromise the result.  The scene is malleable, but i want the main building as accurate as I can make it.  Cars are Danbury and Franklin Mint so I feel like the building should be done to about the same standard.  Talk is cheap. If I proceed it'll be a couple months before I pour the concrete slab.

Carpenters_1936.jpg

Sunset-Vine-1929-carpenters-ben-hur-coffee-PIN.png

15 hours ago, Flat32 said:

Photo is colorized. Original B&W can be found on http://theoldmotor.com/?p=151647

"Engrossed" is the scary part.  I live in a 1/1 diorama that needs more attention than I give it.

I see, Raymond...... the original B&W photo is excellent, and it looks like you can pick up more detail from the later photo also. I guessed it must be around mid to late 1920's...... let the fun begin!

David

I need one dimension as a scale reference. I'm guessing the tiles under the counter are my best shot, but how big are they?? Assuming tile sizes are in even inches the choices would be 4" or 5" or 6" square.  Assuming the suited gentleman is average height for the time at about 5'-6" the obvious choice would be 4" tiles. Then what do I see on the counter off to the left but a Coca Cola bottle that is huge.

carpenters-sandwich-shop.jpg.3e5bed88716d9c29f30967c2dac3da73.jpg

Impressive computerised 3D structure that you have produced, Raymond........ and that should translate quite nicely into a styrene sheet, or balsa sheet scale model. For my first 1:24 scale diorama building I made use of plywood, foamboard, acetate sheet and also good quality thick card. Any materials that allow you to create the shape and contours of the particular building you are constructing will be of use in the right areas. Although foamboard is very nice to work with, it does seem to present problems later with warping, and it is easily damaged.

David

I can see why you like the 1:43 scale.  This building sits on an  octagon shaped concrete slab 15 inches across. Would use 1/4 inch tempered Masonite. The scene will have to be 4 foot square most likely 1 inch thick Formular pink foam insulation. Same material can be used for the tiered roof.  Interior walls and tiled walls can be 3D printed as well as the columns and roof decoration ribs. The whole counter top with it's supporting tiled walls can be printed as one unit.  All of the sign frames can be printed. The rounded overhangs can be formed from aluminum flashing.

Sounds almost like a plan.  May sound stupid, but I won't attempt building this thing until I have printed signs in hand.  I don't want to create the artwork myself because it's not my forte and I don't like doing it.   Much rather pay a skilled graphics guy like a decal maker.                                                                               

• 1 month later...

Hi Raymond,

Great work so far. The 3D structure really is impressive. Do you have any updates? I really look forward to it.

Or is already in the under glass section?

Cheers

Juergen

It's all about the signs.  Turned out there's no shortcut for me to get them and I have to create my own.  Not difficult but takes me having to develop the skill set needed beginning with Coreldraw.  I got the software and began learning how to use it, but stopped because I don't have the word copy all developed yet. I learn how to use software by working on an actual project. Each sign is an individual artwork and there are many of them to produce. The process is the same for all and pretty straightforward. It's what graphic artists do every day, however the artist has to have the job adequately described in some way to begin with.

Size of sign, word copy, colors, general layout in pencil sketch form, fonts to use and need for special artsy fartsy fonts.

I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill, just recognizing I can't make a molehill out of a mountain.

The 3D modelling is the easy part.  Constructing the model is relatively easy, but without the signs it won't happen. I know myself and my bad habit putting off difficult parts of a project and getting stalled by them.  Usually because I didn't anticipate the difficulties, but in this case I got a little smarter and anticipated them and decided to attack them first.  Gotta slog through my 1:1 life swamp to even get to the mountain.

I think the signs are repeated. Note the left and right signs above the people in the black and white photo. On the counter is a sign on each side of the crew for Fresh Ice Cold lemonade. The signs hanging from the ceiling shows Egg on a Bun, another sandwich fresh on a bun and the strawberry shortcake 15 cents.  I would bet the signs alternated with two signs changing ever other sign.

Those lemonade signs are on counter top dispensers, not on the structure.  There are repetitive signs on the upper tiers of the roof.  I counted about 16 unique signs on the structure itself.`Top two tiers only have 2 versions each, third tier maybe 4 versions, over the counter and the bottom tier maybe only 3 versions each. Columns had maybe 2 unique daily special sign boards.  I wish I could find a copy of the menu from one of these stands.

Then there's the figures to find. More fun than signs. 

It's a great project as to the figures when I was building my london bus dio I found some 1/24 figures on ebay 48 i think for £20.00 (was a while ago) and there weren't actually 48 different figures there was actually 4 sets of 12 but you could paint them differently and as I did hack a few of them up and swap torso around they were actually 1940s designs but I'm sure with a little ingenuity you could make them look 1920s (they came from China and it was a while ago but dont know availability now )

I went looking on ebay for some figures and ordered some to see if they might be scale compatible. Not really expecting much, but I might get lucky.

Then I went searching around for posable models and stumbled onto scalable posable 3D model files that are played with in Solidworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8KJ43YS08Q          https://www.cadhuman.com/     https://www.cadhuman.com/store.html

This is right up my alley.  If I understand correctly I can get any pose I want and scale the model to any size I want and 3D print the result. The third link shows the models available and prices.  Only thing I can't do is detail painting of the figures, but I think I could find an artsy craftsy young person to partner with. 

Raymond..... I am always on the lookout for good figures when it comes down to 1:24 scale dioramas, and I was going to suggest Shapeways as a good source of 3D-printed figures, but having looked at your links to Solidworks and Cadhuman they look even more interesting. I agree with what you are saying as regards the detail painting of the figures, and it is the one area of our hobby that I would like to improve upon, in terms of my own skills. Recently I have purchased some very nice O-gauge figures in white metal that are professionally painted, but they are expensive and also in 1:43 scale, not 1:24.

David

This is certainly an intriguing project. I have built entire dios based off of a single verifiable dimension like the roof height of the vehicle or a person visible in the photo. Personally I would start with the building structure itself and scale the final size be determined by the number of vehicles you decide to include. One thing I would not do is place it on a square base. I read an article by a professional modeler who never used  square base. Instead he built each one with at least one odd angle to the base. Your inspiration subject is very unique and screams for something like that.

Please keep us posted.

Edited by misterNNL
My Kindle incorrectly corrected my spelling.

I have a closeup photo of that building and I can make out the restroom signs. men on the left, women on the right.

Been having a little fun looking to create the street lamp.

It's a corner lot so it could be fit on a quarter circle. The photo is so good it's hard to not include the entire scene in my anticipated plans. Needs to have room for over 30 cars and trucks.  The lower left is a car repair shop and the next door business is a two bay garage brake service shop.

I like the way Shambles does things.