Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carpenter's Sandwiches

Flat32

1 hour ago, Flat32 said:

Some streetlight model progress.

streetlamp.jpg

These are superb streetlight models, Raymond...... very ornate and well proportioned. From your carefully put together design, they will 3D print nicely and once painted you will have an important feature for your diorama.

David

Two different post/bracket styles in the photo. Left one is what was on Vine street, but right one is better looking to my eye and certainly easier to model.  I prefer historical accuracy, but unless a 3D scan turns up the simpler version will have to do. These street lights were surprisingly large and ornate to a fault.

• 3 weeks later...

Got three houses to maintain, one needing major renovation, so focused on getting my 1:1 life in order for the time being.  Battling with ripping out an out of control English ivy patch nearly 1/4 acre in size and on a steep slope. Massive entanglement of roots and vines.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 2:32 PM, Flat32 said:

Got three houses to maintain, one needing major renovation, so focused on getting my 1:1 life in order for the time being.  Battling with ripping out an out of control English ivy patch nearly 1/4 acre in size and on a steep slope. Massive entanglement of roots and vines.

That  sounds like a job for a bulldozer.

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 2:32 PM, Flat32 said:

You might want to consider the judicious use of a flame thrower.

Got about 85% of my ivy patch ripped out and disposed of.  230 cubic yards of vines. Worked off 12 pounds and wore out 2 electric winches and trained a Mexican for expert ivy ripping. Got my 2019 taxes filed by the 10/15 deadline.  

I don't have a modeling work bench to return to.  Planned on finishing the basement as part of house renovation so I could have a dedicated work room with a bench. I made the mistake of procrastinating on keeping up with my real life responsibilities.

My Mexican helper is interested in models and has artistic talents. Loves drawing and painting. Introducing him to Solidworks and then 3D printing.

• 3 months later...

Hi Raymond!

I scrolled trough your post, and it is a fascinating project.

I live 30 miles from St-Jean Port Joli, the little village refered to earlier in the thread, where a sculptor was also repairing old neon signs. It must have been Mister BOURGAULT. Their whole family is well know for that kind of art.

In the opening picture, there are a couple of 1930 Ford sedans, identified by the one-piece splash apron that ties the runningboard to the lower body. Therefore, I'd guess it was taken at least in the fall of 1930. 

The same picture shows large "nets" hanging from poles far away in the background skyline. What are those? 

Keep on! 

CT

HI!

In relation to the post I entered yesterday (see above), I just learned that I was mistaken as to the identity of the talented man from St-Jean Port-Joli who repaired old neon signs (among many other creative activities). His name is not BOURGAULT as I speculated, but rather EDDY FOREST. He originally came from North-Bay, Ontario, and also was involved in Pierce-Arrow automobiles. My thanks to LANDMAN (Pat St-Martin) for setting the record straight. Sincere apologies for my error. 

Also, looking at other pictures on the thread, we can see a 33 Ford Cabriolet being serviced by the car-hop, and a 35 Ford in another pix. The main picture at the beginning of the thread is a bit more difficult to "date". Forensics anyone?

CT