Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody know anything about this Lotus?

NYLIBUD

So I saw this Lotus at my friends house.Idk she even had it.The car obviously needs a complete resto.But does anybody know what model it is ,or the year?I gotta say one thing,some neighborhood cats have decided to use the inside as a toilet.Its sort of ugly,but very cool at the same time.

E5AB0259-A31E-4EA9-B33B-5EC21CCBCF47.jpeg

My brother in law owned a JPS version.    Fun car......but a VERY hand built car. And Lucas Dark Knight electrical. 

The car was a little scary to drive in the US during the 70's and 80's as it wasn't as tall as most other cars fenders.....always worried about not being seen. Add electric windows that didn't work, black thin fiberglass roof and in NC summers you could bake cakes inside. 

When he took the front suspension apart for a rebuild he found that all 8 wishbone parts looked alike, were unmarked but each only fit in one spot. 

Do the math on how long it took him to get it back!!! 

Looks like it would make a great road track car.Buzzing in and out of sharp turns.Well not my friends.I think if you moved the yellow one,it would just fall apart.According to her and her husband,the car has been sitting there for around 15 years.What a shame☹️

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Looks like it would make a great road track car.Buzzing in and out of sharp turns.Well not my friends.I think if you moved the yellow one,it would just fall apart.According to her and her husband,the car has been sitting there for around 15 years.What a shame☹️

I assure you, there's somebody who would gladly pay decent money for it and restore it.

Fiberglass doesn't deteriorate badly if it's painted, and the chassis is simplicity itself. As the chassis is built up of folded sheetmetal primarily, a competent fabricator can put it back to righteous condition with little drama.

These are wonderful cars to drive. You almost literally wear them, and it doesn't take much more than thinking about a turn and you're through it...even on those skinny little tires.

Not the best car for people living in the same environment with smart-phone obsessed soccer moms driving 5000 pound hippo-lookalikes though.

31 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Not the best car for people living in the same environment with smart-phone obsessed soccer moms driving 5000 pound hippo-lookalikes though.

Looking on the bright side, you might be able to simply slip under a certain percentage of them. :lol:

7 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ya never know. My T/A was sitting in similar conditions almost as bad as that for 15 years and we got it back up, running and looking good. It did take quite a bit of work though. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Looking on the bright side, you might be able to simply slip under a certain percentage of them. :lol:

If you're over 5 foot eight forget it. They were utterly dreadful in every respect. Unless you enjoy driving whilst holding your breath for the next thing to go wrong. And why make a road car so low? 

Well said, Snake.

1 hour ago, DonW said:

If you're over 5 foot eight forget it. They were utterly dreadful in every respect. Unless you enjoy driving whilst holding your breath for the next thing to go wrong. And why make a road car so low? 

Well said, Snake.

I can imagine. I had an old girlfriend who drove an MG Midget. I could only just barely get in the passenger seat, and I'm 5'10". I had to drive it once and I thought I'd never get into--or out of--it. Once was quite enough. :wacko:

Opening the trunk of that thing reminded me of opening my old 1960s lunchbox. :lol:

Hmmmm...I must live on a different planet. I'm 5'10" and love Europas. Probably a little challenging for me to get in or out of one now without looking like a geriatric fool, but when I was young and pretty, no problemo. Yes, there were some fragile and stupid parts on the cars, like the way the door alignment was adjusted, and pretty much guaranteed to self-destruct, but overall they weren't too much worse from a reliability standpoint than other English cars of the period.

I also had an ex with a Midget, and we went on several long trips in the little bugger.

Of course, maybe that's why my back is so bad now...

1 hour ago, DonW said:

Well said, Snake.

I'm 6' 1" and I could ride the foot box was to small for my size 13 no matter if I could get behind the wheel!!  To get in I had to sit on the ground, stick my feet in and push myself in....like a glove!!!