Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project – Revell 1969 Camaro Pace Car

Exotics_Builder

32 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

I know for a fact the 396 was in the 1969 pace cars.

It was in many, and probably in all the "real" Indy-event cars, but many of the 3600-some replicas were built with 350s. You could order it either way. 

1 hour ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Stolen and wrecked

??? that's unfortunate... Dad bought his in 72 still has it... 67 Camaro, it wasn't new it was factory black vinyl top already had a repaint and top was stripped off too.  it was drag raced and had a posi trac 513 gear. A lady ended up with but traded it, she said "it was to hard to drive"?

My brother and I just completed a full restoration on it back in 2017. Oh, and dad changed the gear (first thing he did) to a 323 posi... Here it is on the used car lot he bought it from.

Resized_20170611_192510.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, espo said:

Sad ending. How's your build going ? 

Slow at the moment.  Fabricating the cross brace the old fashioned way.  I was going to buy a 3D printer after we settled in, but have put that off until after this craziness ends.  So I'm doing it with the card stock template now glued on a .020 plastic sheet and scribing it out.  To fit to the AMT chassis would need modification.  I'm concentrating now on the 69 Pace Car, then the 67 and then will go to a replica of my 68.  

I'm still setting up the hobby room and we're still unpacking.  One key thing here is to lag cabinets and bookshelves to the wall to keep from falling over in an earthquake.  Doing that slower now as my wife is not able to help moving the heavier stuff and I don't want the odd jobs guy over doing anything inside the house for a while (for obvious reasons).  Also, a display cabinet was damaged and needs to have glass replaced before I can load it up.  Again, waiting until things settle down.

SAM_3146.JPG

2 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Slow at the moment.  Fabricating the cross brace the old fashioned way.  I was going to buy a 3D printer after we settled in, but have put that off until after this craziness ends.  So I'm doing it with the card stock template now glued on a .020 plastic sheet and scribing it out.  To fit to the AMT chassis would need modification.  I'm concentrating now on the 69 Pace Car, then the 67 and then will go to a replica of my 68.  

I'm still setting up the hobby room and we're still unpacking.  One key thing here is to lag cabinets and bookshelves to the wall to keep from falling over in an earthquake.  Doing that slower now as my wife is not able to help moving the heavier stuff and I don't want the odd jobs guy over doing anything inside the house for a while (for obvious reasons).  Also, a display cabinet was damaged and needs to have glass replaced before I can load it up.  Again, waiting until things settle down.

SAM_3146.JPG

Looks as if you have a good sized modelling room. I'm looking at your shelving units and they look like some that I have in the basement. Are these those hallow plastic tube affairs that slip into the shelf ? If so you might consider something a little more substantial. While the kits weight aren't that great, these tings will twist around and could tip over. Home Depot, where I got mine, Lowe's and Menard's would be a god place to check for shelving units. They'll cost a little more but with steel frames they aren't going anywhere, and if they do they'll be the least of your worries. What sort of work bench are you planning ? 

54 minutes ago, espo said:

Looks as if you have a good sized modelling room. I'm looking at your shelving units and they look like some that I have in the basement. Are these those hallow plastic tube affairs that slip into the shelf ? If so you might consider something a little more substantial. While the kits weight aren't that great, these tings will twist around and could tip over. Home Depot, where I got mine, Lowe's and Menard's would be a god place to check for shelving units. They'll cost a little more but with steel frames they aren't going anywhere, and if they do they'll be the least of your worries. What sort of work bench are you planning ? 

They are, but are lagged to each other and the wall.  I also slid some dowel rod (such as for closet rods) down them.  Don't recollect the diameter.  I have an adjustable height desk, because I stand most of the time I'm working on a model.  I also have a couple of work areas for special tasks that regular height desks.  Yet to set those up.

Image result for Tresanti Adjustable Height Desk

1 hour ago, Exotics_Builder said:

They are, but are lagged to each other and the wall.  I also slid some dowel rod (such as for closet rods) down them.  Don't recollect the diameter.  I have an adjustable height desk, because I stand most of the time I'm working on a model.  I also have a couple of work areas for special tasks that regular height desks.  Yet to set those up.

Image result for Tresanti Adjustable Height Desk

Sounds like a very elaborate setup. Glad to hear about the reinforcements on those shelving units. Sounds like you realized their short comings if left alone. I never have gotten the hang of the standing work stations. I use an old roll top desk that I have had for many years. When I bought it someone had knocked out about a foot section of the little cubies and it even has some cigarette burns in the finish. I had to remove an old pencil sharpener that was screwed on the top. At the time this was just considered an old bit of furniture of no value. I just cleaned it up and went over it with a lot of furniture polish.     

2 hours ago, espo said:

Sounds like a very elaborate setup. Glad to hear about the reinforcements on those shelving units. Sounds like you realized their short comings if left alone. I never have gotten the hang of the standing work stations. I use an old roll top desk that I have had for many years. When I bought it someone had knocked out about a foot section of the little cubies and it even has some cigarette burns in the finish. I had to remove an old pencil sharpener that was screwed on the top. At the time this was just considered an old bit of furniture of no value. I just cleaned it up and went over it with a lot of furniture polish.     

Since I got the room, I decided to use it.  In the old house, a part of the work area was in the basement and the rest in the bonus room over the garage.  Here, we don't have any basement, just crawl space.  The floor of the lower level is 5 1/2 feet above ground level

On 3/22/2020 at 4:09 PM, espo said:

The dreadful Air Injection Reactor Emissions System. This was GM's answer for the outrages California Emissions requirements starting with the 1966 models.      

The AMT 70 Corvette ZR1 has the air injection pump in it. I added the tubes to the manifolds on my build back in the 90s.

7 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

The AMT 70 Corvette ZR1 has the air injection pump in it. I added the tubes to the manifolds on my build back in the 90s.

I never realized that that kit had the AIR equipment in it. I think by 1970 most states had joined California's smog requirements.     

Chassis Bracing work in progress:

I have made a little progress here.  I am doing this old school.  I started with a card stock template based on the rescaled photo.  

1969_Pcar_05.JPG.78eb571c1c18bf4952ece35dc75769eb.JPG

I then transferred this to .020 evergreen plastic and scribed it out.  I then tweaked the edges to get some round over, drilled the holes (one is too far offset and needs fixing), and scribed the outboard ends for fold down to the model chassis.
The center section (drawn in X) will eventually be cut out as I am making the center piece (which is separate in the 1:1) from .010 plastic and will eventually glue that in place.

1969_Pcar_06.JPG.4ac5473eb81fec0d641185dd1f3a5952.JPG

Prepping for chassis attachment, I sanded down the chassis ribbing that will be covered.  Needs a little more cleanup and then I will work the center brace plate.

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2020 at 2:42 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

In general, the kit is pretty good, but will need some modifications to be correct as a Z11 option pace car replica.  The biggest issue is that the chassis is incorrect.  It represents the coupe chassis and does not the extra bracing for the convertible.

Below is the kit chassis.  I circled the area where the additional bracing is missing.  A real convertible would have the bracing as indicated in the restoration photo I found:

1969_Pcar_02.jpg.97741ea39a1c13109b4d65b049791bcc.jpg

1969_Pcar_03.jpg.7a52df0d1d18f11b11931f58363fc079.jpg

Also, there would be four vibration dampers at each corner of the car.  Since two would be in the trunk area, that would not be an issue unless you decided to open it up (which I am not for this build).  The front ones may need to be represented, but are essentially cylinders with mounting brackets, so should be easy.

I could not find any detailed spec or straight-on photos to capture specific dimensions of the bracing.  So, I did a little finagling and the kit chassis and came up with (I think) a reasonable approximation and will use to build the plastic piece to add:

1969_Pcar_04.JPG.43ca565d435f0a6ca32f70c58b8f9ad0.JPG

I got back to the Revell 69 Camaro Pace Car replica. As mentioned above, the chassis in the kit is for the coupe and does not contain the stiffening cross member for the convertible version. Using images from a 1:1 restoration, I cobbled together the stiffening member. It is not perfect, but close enough, I think. I used too large bolts for it (should have gone down one more size) and I would have to modified the kit chassis some more as well. But, as it won't be on a rotisserie, it will do. I have one more convertible (67 Camaro Pace Car replica) to eventually do. I may design the piece for the AMT chassis and see about 3D printing it. That is a project for next year (an the acquisition of a 3D printer).

Anyway, you can see the modification I just put through primer.

DSCF2373.thumb.JPG.06f8e41310791a2f9751b5b64b3437a7.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 11:08 AM, Snake45 said:

Then they're wrong. As the late great Elmer Keith would say, "Hell, I Was There!" B)

Speaking of accuracy, you're obviously into it if you're going to the trouble of altering the chassis. Are you planning to do anything about Revell's horrendous representation of the '69 RS front end? 

Revell would have you believe the hidden headlight doors sit 4-6" deep into the grille. They do no such thing. I have an actual '69 RS grille hanging in my garage and those doors are no more than 2" deep. The actual grille portion is darn near flush with the front-end sheetmetal, or not more than 1" recessed. 

Here's a pic of a real one to give you some idea what I'm talking about. Compare this with what the kit gives you to work with. 

P1010075.JPG.c32a430d2f5fc1d60ae5d1b19128f2f2.JPG

I tried to address this with my own latest Revell Camaro build. I made progress, but only got the doors about halfway out to where they need to be.  Rushed to finish the thing for a BOYD build deadline, I never went back and had a second go at it--perhaps I should. I did take some in-progress pics of how I removed the doors from the grille that show what I was trying to do. Be happy to post them here if you wan't but I don't want to hijack your build thread. B)

69CamaroBlueMaxi02.jpg.831924060ba6ac45dacf03e42c2b3cc9.jpg

69CamaroBlueMaxi03.jpg.70f5e3ca74bc0035a3617cf91feaf90e.jpg

I would appreciate that.  I do have the MCG PE set and have been looking at the tabs they have at the back of the headlight setup to push the grill out.  Still working on the chassis a bit more and then likely the interior before I get to this.

• 1 month later...

Got back to getting the chassis mods installed and painted.  There is still more to be done, but here is where I am now at:

Finished the initial ribbing and connection plate.

Adapted the Revell 1967 Camaro SS exhaust system to this model.  Although the chambered exhaust is neat, not many Camaros came with it, and I am aiming for a more stock version. 

I will eventually join the exhaust pipes from the engine manifolds to the rear component.  I will use the connection plate to hide that joint, rather than bend up full pieces at one time. 

As I am not aiming for a GSL level model, I decided not to spend the time to install brake lines on the axle housing.  They would be nearly invisible on the completed model.  I will likely do the same for the front brakes as well.

For reference, I have included a photo of the original kit chassis as well as a photo of a real convertible chassis.  And finally, the current state of the modified chassis.

DSCF2282.JPG

41186603_475613341999086_Orig.jpg

DSCF2404.JPG

• 1 month later...

Have not updated in a while.  Working on the interior and body.  Decided to see if I could open the vents and am not sure it was a good idea.  They are so fine and fragile as one sands down (from behind) that they are not looking uniform.  I may need to rethink this idea.  I do have an extra body in a parts box if need be.

I also worked on the front RS grill.  I stripped and opened it.  I then built out the headlight area and used the Model Car Garage Camaro PE set to finish off.  I think I have the depth about right.  Now need to finish this off.

Finally, on the interior, I have it painted, and assembly started.  Used Chevrolet Hugger Orange paint from Testors.  I did not flock the carpet as I fabricated some floor mats to go with.  The seat decals from Revell broke apart on applying even though the decal sheet looked fine.  Chalking it up to age.  Fortunately, I made a copy of the decal sheet and used the backup.

DSCF2409.JPG

DSCF2410.JPG

DSCF2408.JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

While dealing with some paint problems on two projects, I decided to get back to the 1969 Camaro Pace Car.

I have cleaned up the body, including deepening the door, trunk and panel lines; removing the molded in windshield wipers; and scribing around the wheel well trim (which was soft).  I will dig into the parts box to figure out a representative set of wipers.  I also will need to clean up the wheel well scribing before final prime coat.

I used Tamiya gray primer first to blend the putty work, then applied a coat of Tamiya white primer.  Final primer will be the white.

Next, I started to plan out the engine.  I have drilled the plug holes and am planning to use R&D Unique spark plugs (I still have a few left and decided on these versus the RB Motion plugs).  Ignition will be Morgan Automotive Detail with a Replicas and Miniatures vacuum advance.  Given that the engine will be the 375 HP 396, I will be adding power steering and A.I.R. system to the kit supplied alternator.

1969_Pace_Car (9).JPG

1969_Pace_Car (10).JPG

1969_Pace_Car (11).JPG

1969_Pace_Car (12).JPG