Model Cars Magazine Forum

LM 841 Construction Weathering commission work

tiking

I was given this new LM 841 to weather for a friend of mine, Rickard Algotsson. I decided to give this 1:50 scale model a go. It's a beautiful model with great details. Surprisingly enough, it is not made completely out of metal but the body part is mostly plastic. The arm connectors and joints, and all the small details are made from metal. An amazing piece, I must say. The only addition in respect to details is the antenna.I painted the hydraulic coupling ends silver to give the appearance of actual couplings and painted the exhaust stack, silver as well. I weathered the folks using a combination of rust, smoke to make the forks look rusty, like most of the reference photos I saw. For the rest of the model I used the sponge technique, very carefully,  all over the model.

As this was a 1:50 scale, I had to try and control my hand movements as this was a smaller scale compared to what I was used to. The results is what you see. I've posted the original model, before weathering, and photos after the weathering was completed. I think, with the great details the model has already, I've managed to enhance them, making them pop even more.

Before weathering:

841BLWeb1140-vi.jpg
841FLWeb1140-vi.jpg
841FRWeb1140-vi.jpg

After Weathering:

lm8-vi.jpg
lm1-vi.jpg
lm2-vi.jpg
lm2a-vi.jpg
lm3-vi.jpg
lm4-vi.jpg
lm5-vi.jpg
lm6-vi.jpg
lm7-vi.jpg
lm9-vi.jpg
lm10-vi.jpg
lm10a-vi.jpg
lm11-vi.jpg
lm12-vi.jpg
lm13-vi.jpg
lm14-vi.jpg
lm15-vi.jpg
lm16-vi.jpg
lm16a-vi.jpg
lm16b-vi.jpg
lm16c-vi.jpg
lm17-vi.jpg
lm18-vi.jpg
lm19-vi.jpg
lm1-vi.jpg
lm2-vi.jpg
lm2a-vi.jpg
lm3-vi.jpg
lm4-vi.jpg
lm5-vi.jpg
lm6-vi.jpg
lm7-vi.jpg
lm8-vi.jpg
lm9-vi.jpg
lm10-vi.jpg
lm10a-vi.jpg
lm11-vi.jpg
lm12-vi.jpg
lm13-vi.jpg
lm14-vi.jpg
lm15-vi.jpg
lm16-vi.jpg
lm16a-vi.jpg
lm16b-vi.jpg
lm16c-vi.jpg
lm17-vi.jpg
lm18-vi.jpg
lm19-vi.jpg
lm20-vi.jpg
lm21-vi.jpg
lm22-vi.jpg

36 minutes ago, PHPaul said:

Very, very nice!

In the right setting, that could be mistaken for the real thing!

Thanks. With such a mode, one has to try and get the right setting for photography.

20 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

You've certainly mastered the art form. How long did that model take??  How many years have you been weathering??

To weather, about 2 days. In hours, less than a day. :) Been weathering since 2003. But I think I got better, or should I say, comfortable, at it around 2010, when I first started building trucks

16 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Oh yes.  Mission accomplished with the weathering indeed.

Thank you Gramps.

7 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Did you work from photographs of the real thing? Amazing work! Real world weathering accurately done.

I always work from photos; more than one type of model references , to give it more variations. 

22 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Accurately dirty and used..Well done Charles..

...the only suggestion I have, would be to flat spot those tires...it's a heavy machine !

Cheers

Thank you. I did wanted to do that but it was difficult to remove those tyres. They could be removed but thay meant holding tightly unto the model, wvich was very fragile. A lot of things could break and I did not want to ruined the customer's model as it was really not cheap. But the customer doesn't mind. 

2 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Well done!!

Thank you kindly Chris. Glad you like the results. Now all I have yet to do is a vignette to display this little old lady. Will post a few photos of them in this thread, when done.