Model Cars Magazine Forum

Agora 1/8 Shelby Super Snake

Brudda

Those 10 spokes look good Bruce! Just the right sheen it appears too as those were not shiny, but more of a cast aluminum appearance.

Still plugging away on my Shelby........I thought about adding brake lines and such, but the chassis is solid diecast and I'm not so sure about constantly drilling into that without breaking drill bits. ?

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Those 10 spokes look good Bruce! Just the right sheen it appears too as those were not shiny, but more of a cast aluminum appearance.

Still plugging away on my Shelby........I thought about adding brake lines and such, but the chassis is solid diecast and I'm not so sure about constantly drilling into that without breaking drill bits. ?

Yes sir! Extra drill bits. I will be doing the tires and wheels next. The tires look a lot better than the prototype. Just finished the interior minus the steering wheel. That will be a little later. I read your information Mr Obsessive on your tire installation. This one will need the same thing. Will need to heat the tire to fit over the rim. The thunder bolt tires look really good but it looks impossible to fit over the rim.  Thank you for the information. AA323C3B-9393-4907-9147-E588CAF64168.thumb.jpeg.fa7c87807b8b3e0719faefac6de2108a.jpeg

0F705EF7-E696-43B5-9B21-906C5982A612.jpeg

441CA39B-3A36-47E0-8A54-457F9D0AF975.jpeg

EE6ECBF1-C84C-4507-81BD-F5EA4049350B.jpeg

17733771-3593-4336-8964-9AA59BDA4638.jpeg

E2165406-2180-4AD1-A885-6A905634A443.jpeg

Impressive kit as said before! Everything looks top notch and super detailed! You are doing the kit justice for sure! On the tires.. would it work with tire mounting paste, same as the tire shops use to make the tire more slipery and then squece it on from behind?

Edited by Mattilacken

Bruce...looks terrific.  Does this kit include carpeting for the interior?  If so that was a nice touch by Agora. I am currently doing the DeAg Jaguar E Type and while much of the kit is quite impressive I thought it could have been enhanced exponentially had the interior included carpeting.  

The tires are mounted. Was easier than I thought. Boiled water, shut off heat, put tires in for 3 minutes and a little dawn soap, mounted. Very easy when the tires are heated. Used a cloth because it’s hot. The detail on the tires are very good. The first prototype tires were bad. The production tires are great. 9D932879-A8D0-4276-9E86-22F0738E52B5.thumb.jpeg.b919b7a535b47f59de19d0bb4d875054.jpeg

C3A88F06-EF74-40A3-94AD-93B845250223.jpeg

42263899-A662-419B-A4B8-BED974036271.jpeg

3102AFBE-FB6E-45B4-98FA-F24A5EADF01B.jpeg

The tires and wheels are now on the car. The car is on its tires. This model is huge! Mr. Obsessive where do you put these big things when they are done? The Super Snake is going to be very impressive. First 1/8 scale kit I have done. The DeAgostini Ford GT will be next. 1/8 also. And Mark has called me to ask if I would like to build the 1/8 Agora Cobra. If that happens I will repaint it and detail it the best I can. A Ford caravan of 1/8 scale cars. Crazy. Here are some more pics. The 37 ford is 1/25

D999311E-CB66-4070-B60B-A1C77BCE48CD.jpeg

FF885E9A-3BFA-4BCB-822B-C1757F55074B.jpeg

7C57E679-6050-4E89-8ADB-74BE1391B86F.jpeg

Completed packs 7 and 8. The horn is going to work. The accelerator pedal is going to make engine sounds and the brake lights will work.  Seat belts work and the back seat folds up and down. Glove box opens. Steering works.   . Mr Obsessive these are very big kits. Seems like this is like your kit with the super snake stuff. Waiting for the next pack. 

4A9A3719-70AF-4347-A597-E262BD60A29E.jpeg

8D43A3DC-7F54-47FE-A39E-1DAAFC018E1D.jpeg

AA5C9A30-DED6-4A0C-8C3B-9E3532639662.jpeg

15915FCF-EAD8-4AD7-9C79-2D91FC934593.jpeg

53E3FEED-2B53-4C77-9FF4-D6106E5E9926.jpeg

D5D4D58E-9F24-4253-86BB-8CC617C0E51A.jpeg

FDE2D4F1-A8F4-4EC4-8166-4A0BF43872A9.jpeg

DB6DD5BD-A408-4CEC-970F-C0D01437426E.jpeg

Absolutely GORGEOUS interior Bruce! :wub:

Where will I put mine when it's done? I'll be building short "bookcases" this week while I'm off for not just my other models, but for the 1/8 Shelby when I'm done with it. I originally had another spot picked out for it, but when I moved to the new place a year ago, I let that display case go as it was quite old and not as stable as it used to be.

Also the 1/8 Mercedes 300 SL (on standstill till Eaglemoss sends more parts) will also go on the top shelf of that short bookcase (I'll be building two) when it's all said and done. One thing that's a MUST HAVE for these when they're done is some sort of dust cover. I've got nosy cats and the last thing I need is to have these come crashing down because they decide to be nosy. I thought they sold a cover for these..........I'll have to call and check with 'em.

I notice that DeAgostini painted the chassis on yours black, whereas on mine they did the red oxide primer. It must have been on the car they modeled which is why perhaps they went that route.

Yes, these things are HUGE (and heavy!) when they're done! It's the reason I'm not going to go superdetailed on the chassis on mine. There's no way I'll be picking this thing up and turning it over to show off the chassis like I would with a 1/25 scale I've done for example.

One thing that's a must for me is some sort of trunk mat in mine. I just don't like the appearance of all the screw heads sticking up in the way when the trunk is open. Just a personal preference as I'm quite sure they didn't put this in the kit. If I could figure out a way to repro the Burtex pattern like the 1:1, that would be good, but as it stands right now, some sort of simple very thin vinyl material will do.

Edited by MrObsessive

I mentioned this kit to wife.   Size and cost made her give me a definite NO.  LOL.    We have so many cars in the house now, that she is reaching critical mass on bringing in more large models.  I recently bought a 1/16 Danbury Mint 53 Caddy and it was about as big as I can go.  Oh well, I'll keep watching...  

With all that said, this is a beautiful build.  

Thank you RandyC. These are big models!  I’m building the 1/8 ford GT, Then that’s it for the big 1/8. Working on a mfh cobra  and Porsche 917/30, then that’s it for the expensive kits. After that going back to 1/25. - 1/24. Have a 1/25 32 ford I need to finish

• 1 month later...

Here is the size of the 1/8 scale super snake. Next to it is the DeAgostini Red Bull 1/7 scale rc car which can be built as a static car. I will be posting the Red Bull car as a static build. They give you 2 bodies and wings. One for static ,and change the body and it’s a rc car. I do not know where I will be storing these things. 

2FD51E50-D5D9-4FB9-8330-F8F5998C73AD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could do some of these 1/8th scale Eaglemoss and the like. Just too much money for me. I am also impatient and waiting for a year or more to get all the parts would drive me crazy. However I do have 3 1/8th scale Monogram kits, 2 Corvettes and an IROC. These things are huge and take up a lot of shelf space. As of now I have no idea where I am going to store/display them.

Your kit is looking great, very nice kit. 

Do you plan to add more details? It looks like you could or just display it as sent. In the end I am sure it will be beautiful.  

On 11/22/2020 at 2:31 PM, Oldmopars said:

I wish I could do some of these 1/8th scale Eaglemoss and the like. Just too much money for me. I am also impatient and waiting for a year or more to get all the parts would drive me crazy. However I do have 3 1/8th scale Monogram kits, 2 Corvettes and an IROC. These things are huge and take up a lot of shelf space. As of now I have no idea where I am going to store/display them.

Your kit is looking great, very nice kit. 

Do you plan to add more details? It looks like you could or just display it as sent. In the end I am sure it will be beautiful.  

Sorry for the slow response. And thank you. I will not add more details to the supersnake as I’m supposed to build it out of box for the company. But I did paint the door jams and did  some mods to get rid of some heavy seams. The big Red Bull rb7 will be built out of box also. I’m building it as a static kit but will run it this summer as a rc car. Want to see what it will do. Im falling behind on some of these builds. I’m helping Mark ( from DeAgostini) paint a Toyota 2000 GT. 1/10. I’m building a Ford GT for them. 1/8. That one I will add a little more detail. I was informed they want me to build the new 1/8 Ferrari f1 car. That’s a cool build. But I’m running out of time for my other projects. The best part is I get to keep them. All of these big kits are cool. Every modeler should build at least 1. The red Bull f1 car is pretty cool. You still have to paint both body’s. So some modeling skills are involved. Some people have bought 2. One for display and the other to run. Anyway I’m waiting for parts packs to arrive for the supersnake. This covid thing is holding up the parts. The supersnake it a very good build also. I cannot wait for the body to arrive. This will be a centerpiece in my model room. Liam White is not a newcomer to these big kits. They fit excellent, the quality is great and if you want to super detail it, the car will be a knockout. Plus agora models has a cobra 427 to sit beside the supersnake. Now only if they made a grand sport corvette!?!?!

On 11/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, BDSchindler said:

Great build, Bruce.  Question for you, how did you get started in building these for DeAgostini?

BDSchindler thank you. Sorry for the slow response. Our company is testing for the month of November and December so time is not on my side.   The answer to the DeAgostini question is that in our model club, My friend Mark , is the USA representative for the company. Mark has connections all over the world for very expensive big model kits. He has a collection that most hobby shops cannot even come close to. We have become close friends. About 3 years ago he gave me a Toyota 2000 GT to build. I painted it a different color and it became a big hit. The other magazine put it in a “ One great model “ article. That article was noticed in Europe. Mark sent the article to Europe and they asked Mark if I would build models for them. Liam White did the blueprints for the Toyota and the GT 500 for DeAgostini. Liam branched out to build a new company called Agora models. He was impressed with the Toyota and asked me to build a supersnake for Agora. He is in England. I guess this is a tight group of people. I was just lucky to know Mark as he was the one to introduce me to all of these people. So that is it in a nut shell. I want to finish a 1/12 mfh cobra kit that I started but it will have to wait as DeAgostini wants me to build a ford GT, the Red Bull rb7, and the new Ferrari f1 kit that’s comming out. I’m painting a Toyota 2000 GT for a exclusive customer for DeAgostini. Plus the Agora models to complete. So my mfh cobra will have to wait. Here is a picture of the Toyota that started it all. 

104BCA6B-B22C-438B-B2E5-726B3004CD75.jpeg

57307688-3894-4CDA-B4F6-4E4BBBEECA6E.jpeg

FA08056C-BB63-4815-AACE-EB1CCF103C30.jpeg

AF2D7E4E-D714-4B85-8925-66CCC5D322CC.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Brudda said:

BDSchindler thank you. Sorry for the slow response. Our company is testing for the month of November and December so time is not on my side.   The answer to the DeAgostini question is that in our model club, My friend Mark , is the USA representative for the company. Mark has connections all over the world for very expensive big model kits. He has a collection that most hobby shops cannot even come close to. We have become close friends. About 3 years ago he gave me a Toyota 2000 GT to build. I painted it a different color and it became a big hit. The other magazine put it in a “ One great model “ article. That article was noticed in Europe. Mark sent the article to Europe and they asked Mark if I would build models for them. Liam White did the blueprints for the Toyota and the GT 500 for DeAgostini. Liam branched out to build a new company called Agora models. He was impressed with the Toyota and asked me to build a supersnake for Agora. He is in England. I guess this is a tight group of people. I was just lucky to know Mark as he was the one to introduce me to all of these people. So that is it in a nut shell. I want to finish a 1/12 mfh cobra kit that I started but it will have to wait as DeAgostini wants me to build a ford GT, the Red Bull rb7, and the new Ferrari f1 kit that’s comming out. I’m painting a Toyota 2000 GT for a exclusive customer for DeAgostini. Plus the Agora models to complete. So my mfh cobra will have to wait. Here is a picture of the Toyota that started it all. 

104BCA6B-B22C-438B-B2E5-726B3004CD75.jpeg

57307688-3894-4CDA-B4F6-4E4BBBEECA6E.jpeg

FA08056C-BB63-4815-AACE-EB1CCF103C30.jpeg

AF2D7E4E-D714-4B85-8925-66CCC5D322CC.jpeg

Oh and yes I get to keep the kits.