Model Cars Magazine Forum

Agora 1/8 Shelby Super Snake

Brudda

Thanks for the info.  I used to write for Toy Cars and Models and later for the mis-managed The Car Room Magazine where I reviewed mostly 1/24th scale diecast cars from Danbury Mint, Franklin Mint and a host of other manufactures with the occasional feature articles on other scales like 1/12th, 1/18th and so on.  Like yourself, every model I reviewed, I got to keep as well (at one point I had over 3,000 diecast cars and trucks and a somewhat unhappy wife!).  While the manufactures wanted favorable reviews in exchange for the models, I told each manufacture up front that I would photograph and ONLY give honest reviews.

George Bojaciuk can attest to my honesty in every review.  It was fun to do but it ended up taking so much of my free time (Yes, I also have one of those pesky 80 hours or more a week jobs! ?), that I had to stop.  Add to it the fraudulent activity (my opinion) of the owner of The Car Room Magazine, soured me for doing anything else like that (I took him to court for Breach of Contract among other things and won).  Like Daffy Duck would say, he was despicable!

You're doing a heck of a great job on these and I know the manufacture is proud to have you doing these.  Love the paint on the Toyota!

Keep up the great work, you have a follower/admirer here!

2 hours ago, BDSchindler said:

Thanks for the info.  I used to write for Toy Cars and Models and later for the mis-managed The Car Room Magazine where I reviewed mostly 1/24th scale diecast cars from Danbury Mint, Franklin Mint and a host of other manufactures with the occasional feature articles on other scales like 1/12th, 1/18th and so on.  Like yourself, every model I reviewed, I got to keep as well (at one point I had over 3,000 diecast cars and trucks and a somewhat unhappy wife!).  While the manufactures wanted favorable reviews in exchange for the models, I told each manufacture up front that I would photograph and ONLY give honest reviews.

George Bojaciuk can attest to my honesty in every review.  It was fun to do but it ended up taking so much of my free time (Yes, I also have one of those pesky 80 hours or more a week jobs! ?), that I had to stop.  Add to it the fraudulent activity (my opinion) of the owner of The Car Room Magazine, soured me for doing anything else like that (I took him to court for Breach of Contract among other things and won).  Like Daffy Duck would say, he was despicable!

You're doing a heck of a great job on these and I know the manufacture is proud to have you doing these.  Love the paint on the Toyota!

Keep up the great work, you have a follower/admirer here!

Thank you sir! Wow over3000 diecasts!!!! Yes I will give only honest answers also. I’m also going to retire soon so I guess I better make the best of things. Most of the big kits are good but can use more detail. Mark and I have thought of detail sets for the big kits. Maybe later. ..... Pack 10 came in yesterday and it looks pretty involved. A small computer, wiring and a speaker for sound and lighting. Lights work, brake lights work when you step on the brake. The accelerator pedal makes engine sounds. Horn works. Play factor is great in this model. The paint finish is very good on the model. What I like about Agora is they give you fantastic instructions with extra screws. You get a extra screw on each numbered pack. So by this time in the build, you have a good assortment of extra screws. You will lose one!  So far the Agora super snake is going great and cannot wait for the body. I’m glad the instructions are clear as I am not the greatest in the wiring department. I will start working on it tomorrow. 

96A7BF4F-BDF2-426E-850C-78D144C4B29C.jpeg

B8AD442E-A20C-4327-BDD0-4BF355D6D920.jpeg

A7743F00-B294-40D7-A49A-1F6487D62462.jpeg

The finish on your example looks a bit better Bruce than the one I'm working on. I spent quite a bit of time going over the body with a polishing kit and wet sanding the clear coat. One area on mine they didn't clear coat were the scoops. I started to rub those out and saw blue paint rubbing away.

Whoops! I left those alone as I'm not so sure I'd get a proper color match with the paint I have in trying to repaint 'em.

A detail set? That would be GREAT as these kits could have stood a bit more detail in the engine compartment particularly. I didn't go for doing the brake lines and such because there's no way I'm going to be picking this thing up and down constantly to show that off. It's simply too heavy for that.

BTW, I just got a display case for it from DeAgostini. WOW!! Is that thing HUGE!! You have to put it together, but I have to WARN you it's considerably BIGGER than the kit itself so better make sure you got PLENTY of room to place it!

9 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

The finish on your example looks a bit better Bruce than the one I'm working on. I spent quite a bit of time going over the body with a polishing kit and wet sanding the clear coat. One area on mine they didn't clear coat were the scoops. I started to rub those out and saw blue paint rubbing away.

Whoops! I left those alone as I'm not so sure I'd get a proper color match with the paint I have in trying to repaint 'em.

A detail set? That would be GREAT as these kits could have stood a bit more detail in the engine compartment particularly. I didn't go for doing the brake lines and such because there's no way I'm going to be picking this thing up and down constantly to show that off. It's simply too heavy for that.

BTW, I just got a display case for it from DeAgostini. WOW!! Is that thing HUGE!! You have to put it together, but I have to WARN you it's considerably BIGGER than the kit itself so better make sure you got PLENTY of room to place it!

Hello sir! The supersnake is a very good kit. I’m watching your GT500 build. I just might have to get that one to add to the Shelby collection. These big kits are just a great modeling experience. Cannot wait for the body to arrive. I’m very impressed on the paint match and the finish. Liam White has really put effort in his kits. I just saw a episode of Jay Leno’s garage and the black 427 cobra is sooooo cool. If I get that one , I will paint it black. Looks real mean!  Here are pics of the supersnake so far. The wiring is very pleasant to do. Numbered and easy. Great instructions! 

5FCBFDE7-1CB3-4590-9E28-BDB4D0FF17F7.jpeg

7F3142BE-3794-4142-8F30-10149A7D579D.jpeg

F858E592-A2D8-4BBC-93F2-A9E01D3BFFAA.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Lookin' good Bruce! One thing to watch out for. When it comes to getting the doors on, you might find that you'll have to sand away some of the inner door panel at the A pillar to get them to close properly. I had trouble with the driver's door in this regard and had to get the dremel out to get the door to shut better.

Also, the doors have too much slop in them when it comes to the hinges. It might be a good idea to shim up the hinges somewhat to get them to not be so "floppy". I suspect though that 99% of the time the doors will be closed (like mine) so I wouldn't make a big production out of it. ?

Bruce, I actually finished the whole car while I was on vacation over Christmas. Been super busy since getting back to work, but over the weekend I'll try to take pics of the whole thing. Unlike my much smaller stuff, the hangup will be a good place to get pics in the house with proper lighting to view it well.

No putting this in my paint booth with poster board as my background!

I do remember seeing a build suggestion online about the issue with the doors by someone else that was building his. He suggested thinning down the interior door panels somewhat as that seems to be the issue with that butting up against the dash. I wish I had seen that before I bolted the doors in, but one thing about this model is at least it can be unscrewed apart in case you make a mistake.

Now if we could only get DeAgostini to do a '68 Shelby GT500KR convertible based on this! :wub:

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Bruce, I actually finished the whole car while I was on vacation over Christmas. Been super busy since getting back to work, but over the weekend I'll try to take pics of the whole thing. Unlike my much smaller stuff, the hangup will be a good place to get pics in the house with proper lighting to view it well.

No putting this in my paint booth with poster board as my background!

I do remember seeing a build suggestion online about the issue with the doors by someone else that was building his. He suggested thinning down the interior door panels somewhat as that seems to be the issue with that butting up against the dash. I wish I had seen that before I bolted the doors in, but one thing about this model is at least it can be unscrewed apart in case you make a mistake.

Now if we could only get DeAgostini to do a '68 Shelby GT500KR convertible based on this! :wub:

Oh boy that would be cool! And thank you for letting me know about the door issue. I’m keeping my eyes open on the doors

Here ya go Bruce! This was the best I could do at the moment given the type of lights I have in the house as I had to use the flash on the camera to get it to show up. I MIGHT take pics outside, but this thing is so heavy and it has to come from the upstairs, I'm not a fan of moving this thing at all. More than likely, I'll show this one time somewhere and that will be it as it's VERY cumbersome to move due to the weight and size of this thing. I'll have more pics posted at this thread here.

P1016831.jpg.406589d86ff251cb2a38c77977c09998.jpg

Most of the body on the supersnake. Things went well. The doors are a little troublesome. Just mounted them but they need work. The guards blue stripes are very fragile. I scratched the roof but was able to match the paint and repainted the stripes. So far a fun model. Now if I can fix these doors. 

B207ACA5-F614-4F14-9BE7-D2F00652203C.jpeg

91119D9A-6633-40C6-8A8B-59B96E235F7B.jpeg

8746F30C-36FF-4BA4-946D-3010CE0C9584.jpeg

514E9A70-2E2E-4934-B5B3-41E8A4507239.jpeg

19ADC809-62FD-4E89-A739-CCAFA8D247FF.jpeg

On 1/16/2021 at 4:45 AM, MrObsessive said:

Here ya go Bruce! This was the best I could do at the moment given the type of lights I have in the house as I had to use the flash on the camera to get it to show up. I MIGHT take pics outside, but this thing is so heavy and it has to come from the upstairs, I'm not a fan of moving this thing at all. More than likely, I'll show this one time somewhere and that will be it as it's VERY cumbersome to move due to the weight and size of this thing. I'll have more pics posted at this thread here.

P1016831.jpg.406589d86ff251cb2a38c77977c09998.jpg

Hello Mr Obsessive, I would like to run this by you for a second opinion. The door alignment looks like the a pillar needs work. But I noticed , what if you took the door back apart and cut the window out, to make it look like the window is rolled down? The glass seems to throw the door out of Alighment. There is the wing window you have to leave but it would be a lot less pressure than the whole window. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bruce, I thought about doing that initially, but left it alone as I didn't know what other issues might come up. I could take the door back apart and do as you described, but then I'd run the risk of damaging the interior door panel trim trying to pry it back out of place and then getting the interior door panel off to get to the glass. As you know, the glass bottom bolts directly to the inside of the door, so you'd have to take everything out first to do that.

The window frames I believe were made that way to give the doors some sort of "friction" to keep them closed. It's not as much an issue on the passenger side. I still believe it's the dash and the thickness of the door panels themselves which is making the drivers side door stick out ever so slightly on that side.

I may take it back apart in the future and do that, but I believe as heavy as this is and how cumbersome it is to handle, I'd best leave it alone at this point.

Edited by MrObsessive

On 1/29/2021 at 11:36 AM, MrObsessive said:

Bruce, I thought about doing that initially, but left it alone as I didn't know what other issues might come up. I could take the door back apart and do as you described, but then I'd run the risk of damaging the interior door panel trim trying to pry it back out of place and then getting the interior door panel off to get to the glass. As you know, the glass bottom bolts directly to the inside of the door, so you'd have to take everything out first to do that.

The window frames I believe were made that way to give the doors some sort of "friction" to keep them closed. It's not as much an issue on the passenger side. I still believe it's the dash and the thickness of the door panels themselves which is making the drivers side door stick out ever so slightly on that side.

I may take it back apart in the future and do that, but I believe as heavy as this is and how cumbersome it is to handle, I'd best leave it alone at this point.

Thank you as I’m taking your advice. Leaving them alone. I did make a mistake on scratching the roof stripes. They are fragile. So I repainted them. Pack 12 is on its way . So I’ll be rapping this up next week. This is great fun and thanks for the heads up on the mustang. 

307BD24D-866E-41B4-A53F-4C43E576D089.jpeg

541C3570-61A6-4F6F-9DFC-43571506A2EB.jpeg

Very nice model. A lot of work to do it carefully. I really like these large kits. One thing does bother me is that the engine detail looks rather toy like in the mustang. Lots of simplified surfaces and corners. I would expect something of this size to reveal more of the actual shape of the water pump, manifolds and heads as those are quite visible.

• 1 year later...