Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chaparral 2J

curt raitz

This is a 1/24th model of the Chaparral 2J Kit #873 produced by Mini Exotics. 

I bought the model at the Saturday night auction at the last GSL. Jim Keller had donated the kit to the auction. I had both him and Gerry Chevalier (Mr. Mini Exotics) sign the box. 

Upon opening the box I discovered quite a few parts were missing. Contacted Gerry and he still had parts for the 2J. Told him what I needed and he shipped them to me. 

Painted the body ModelMaster's Classic White and Krylon's Dull Aluminum. Only detail added was the skirts, dash wires and moulding around the turbine vanes.

DSC_0926_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_0880_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_0881_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_0883_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_0887_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_0888_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_0889_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_0890_Fotor-vi.jpg

Thanx for lookin'...

Wow, I was there when this was auctioned off, you got a good deal on this rare kit.  I have this too, a different box, but have always been intimidated to build it.  As expected, you did a great job on it.  You didn't bother doing a WIP, did you?

This looks very nice! Good work! Chaparrals are such cool cars. I started scratchbuilding one, years ago, based on the article in Motor Racing Replica News. Was that your article?  All I got done was cutting out and putting together the middle section of the body. It's still sitting here. should I ever decide I need to finish it.

Edited by Straightliner59

5 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Very cool, Curt - nice to see one built! Just one small critique (if you don't mind) - I think the spoke on the steering wheel should point down?

One would think so, but all of the reference photos I ran across show the steering wheel mounted upside down...

8 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

This looks very nice! Good work! Chaparrals are such cool cars. I started scratchbuilding one, years ago, based on the article in Motor Racing Replica News. Was that your article?  All I got done was cutting out and putting together the middle section of the body. It's still sitting here. should I ever decide I need to finish it.

No I didn't write the article on the 2J in Mike's magazine. Used it as reference. If you need parts Gerry Chevalier for a small fee can send them to you.

2 hours ago, curt raitz said:

One would think so, but all of the reference photos I ran across show the steering wheel mounted upside down...

Obviously, the position of the wheel will vary in photos. I just found about 20 pics on Google Images that all show it in all different places, but none of them really show it in relation to how the front wheels are turned, so no conclusive way to tell from that. Your model, your choice!

Chaparral 2J steering wheel

image.png.ecbd636dac0e703d19c2dbd2cc0ba91f.png