Model Cars Magazine Forum

I think we are over due for this one to come back out the 72 chevy

robo37

We just need an all new kit of this generation. This kit is rough by any standard and the popularity of these trucks could support a new tool, especially if it included options for long bed, short bed, step side, and 4x4 along with various years and custom options. 

12 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

We just need an all new kit of this generation. This kit is rough by any standard and the popularity of these trucks could support a new tool, especially if it included options for long bed, short bed, step side, and 4x4 along with various years and custom options. 

Not to mention an updated Blazer/Jimmy and Suburban models! Done right, a model company could have the tooling paid and making money by the time the second or third version comes out.

41 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Not to mention an updated Blazer/Jimmy and Suburban models! Done right, a model company could have the tooling paid and making money by the time the second or third version comes out.

If you planned it correctly and cut the tooling all at once you could have kits for years from the same mold. 

BTW, I was just mess'n around with an old '72 cab and interior and a built Revell '66 stepside I bought at a show last year.

After cutting the front bumper mounts from the Revell frame, the '72 cab dropped right on like it was made for it. 

Maybe I'll take a couple pics tomorrow and post them.  , ,  but you know, this seems to be leading up to me building another truck. ?

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

BTW, I was just mess'n around with an old '72 cab and interior and a built Revell '66 stepside I bought at a show last year.

After cutting the front bumper mounts from the Revell frame, the '72 cab dropped right on like it was made for it. 

Maybe I'll take a couple pics tomorrow and post them.  , ,  but you know, this seems to be leading up to me building another truck. ?

I took a 72 cab, built an 84 MPC 4x4 frame and have a resin short bed almost done and about to get it in primer. So much can be done with these kits, we really need some new stuff so we don't have to rob three kits to get what we all want!

14 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

If you planned it correctly and cut the tooling all at once you could have kits for years from the same mold. 

An MO which fit's Moebius like a glove.

I'm also in favor of all new kits of the '73-86 Chevy C/K's, Blazers and 72-'93 Dodge Ram and Ramcharger in 1/25th but also a few in 1/35th (for the military model community)

Miniman Factory in Austria has done outstanding 1/35 scale resin kits of both CUCVs, the Blazer and pickup.  They also do many other unusual 1/35 vehicles in resin and photo-etched metal.  Their kits can be hard to find in the USA, though Sprue Brothers carry some.  The Miniman website shows all its kits as "currently available."  

They do nice work and the chassis are VERY detailed, better than many 1/24 scale plastic kits.  But because everything is resin, the parts are fragile and delicate. Especially things like leaf springs.

http://www.minimanfactory.com/en/minimanfactory-m1/vehicles-1-35-p1.2/

cucv.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

I'd love to see the old AMT/MPC '72 Chevrolet or GMC pickup trucks come back. It's been a while. I still have two unbuilt Chevrolets that I plan on using with the Model King Camper and Wedge kit(s) from a few years back. In my recent collection, which means the last thirty years or so, I've really only built two short bed GMCs. One with the step side box that came with the kit. Another with short style side box made years ago by a good resin maker year ago.

Speaking of resin makers. I do have a Modelhaus 1969 grille I plan on using with my Model King Camper. The Racer's Wedge will keep the stock 1972 look.

Its dawned on me that I'm missing one important version of this truck. I need to build just a good old Chevy style side long box. As offered with AMT's old '72 Chevy pickup truck kit. So I really hope Round 2 does gets around to reissuing this kit sometime in the near future. Prices have become a little ridiculous on eBay. 

Even though I too would love to see a modern tool of this generation GM truck. I still do not mind the old one. It's easy to build. And looks good on surface. The main reason I like to see a new tool done, is so hopefully we could get some other years and variations done on this basic truck. A 1969 Chevrolet, two-wheel drive, Suburban would be number one on my wish list. Second, a 1967 GMC pickup with the big GMC V-6 engine. I don't except I'll see either one. So I'd be happy to get another old AMT kit into my collection. 

12 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

1967 GMC pickup with the big GMC V-6 engine.

YES !  It was 351 cubes by then ; not sure if the 305 was still on the option list . 

While I'd vote for a 1967-1968 C-25 , I'd also like to see if Revell would convert their '65-'66 C-10 to a GMC C-15 or C-25 , GMC V6 and all . 

I've always thought it would be interesting to build a GMC 351 or 458 with a 4-71 or 6-71 oxidiser , headers , and the Buick 238 V6  HEI ignition .

On 3/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, Luc Janssens said:

An MO which fit's Moebius like a glove.

Guys....keep buying those 1960's pickup kits and I think this one just might come to pass.  Personally I'd prefer to see a '67/'68 out the door first, but it does seem the majority seems to prefer the later ones in that truck cycle.  

BTW, I know a lot of you no longer look at either of the model car mags, but you may want to make an exception right now as there is an eight page kit history of Chevy and GMC full size pickups in the current issue of the other mag....

TIM  

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Guys....keep buying those 1960's pickup kits and I think this one just might come to pass.  Personally I'd prefer to see a '67/'68 out the door first, but it does seem the majority seems to prefer the later ones in that truck cycle.  

BTW, I know a lot of you no longer look at either of the model car mags, but you may want to make an exception right now as there is an eight page kit history of Chevy and GMC full size pickups in the current issue of the other mag....

TIM  

It’s a great article, thanks for writing it!

I love the articles that group kit history based on subject matter. A very useful resource.

Edited by vincen47

If we are throwing wants out, I'd like a 85-87 Chevy long box. You can get up to 84 gmc before jumping to the 88 Silverado. Like the moebius fords a lot of combinations could be had like long ,short, step side, 4x4, and 4x2.  A Silverado and cheyanne grill would add more versions. Just my 2 cents.

9 hours ago, DZ7581 said:

If we are throwing wants out, I'd like a 85-87 Chevy long box. You can get up to 84 gmc before jumping to the 88 Silverado. Like the moebius fords a lot of combinations could be had like long ,short, step side, 4x4, and 4x2.  A Silverado and cheyanne grill would add more versions. Just my 2 cents.

Morgan Automotive Detail has a square body long bed and there is a new company in the resin section doing 85-87 grilles. Add a Fall Guy/Deserter kit and few bits of plastic to stretch the frame and you're good.

Edited by Fat Brian

16 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Morgan Automotive Detail has a square body long bed and there is a new company in the resin section doing 85-87 grilles. Add a Fall Guy/Deserter kit and few bits of plastic to stretch the frame and you're good.

I have been expecting the 72 to come out for the last 3 years...

• 2 weeks later...

Too funny this thread popped up, after I finished my '69 Green Barge.  I would rather AMT never find the molds, it has many shortcomings that are vintage AMT compared to modern kits.  I hate the end of the bed, the taillights are funny inaccurate, I'm offering resin upgrade parts to fix that (someone ordered already, waiting on new resin).  It also features another pet peeve, molded on door handles, I can also make accurate resin units.  Molded on windshield wipers.  Chrome dome headlights.  Promo style chassis, who does that anymore?  So this is an opportunity waiting for Mobius, or whoever.

I will also wish they do the three distinct years, '67 - '68, '69 - '70, and '71 - '72.  The side trim is the biggest difference in the change, and the front bumper.

My two cents. ?

IMG_1302.jpg

On 3/27/2020 at 8:01 AM, Fat Brian said:

Just like I’m doing here. I’m adding a set of Fireballs rally wheels and some 33”s

1B97D2FE-E0BF-4317-9CA0-8EBDCB2870CD.jpeg

F775EC1A-2C67-4CAC-9103-ACC25C0D8A1C.jpeg