Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Since I am old enough, doing the stores opening the first hour for senior hours has worked out well for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, espo said:

Went to the local market yesterday to get a couple of things we needed. No paper products but a few wipes with a limit of one per customer, the rest of the isle was empty. They did have eggs this time and again a limit of 1. I got the other items I needed. The checkout only has plastic bags now. I usually would have our cloth bags but they don't allow them at this time. The checkers are supposed to wear gloves, but they're not.  The so called rules of social conduct for the time seem very hit and miss if at all.  

The store I went to the other day let me use my reuseable cloth bags, but I had to bag the stuff myself. They wouldn't touch them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I need to adopt that habit!  This store had plenty of beer and wine.  I picked up a bottle of Cabernet to go with the steak I did manage to find.

I meant it was out of isopropyl alcohol. So is every other place I've been to around here. I use it for acrylic paint thinner but I do have some on hand.

SC also has some archaic liquor laws.  Hard liquor can still only be sold at "ABC stores." (Alcoholic Beverage Commission).  When I was young, the drinking age for beer and wine was 18 in SC, but 21 next door in GA.  There were drive-thru beer and wine stores right across the state line, where thirsty Georgians could load up.

Kansas has low alcohol content Beer that can be sold in Super Markets, and full strength is sold only in Liquor Stores only. Any other liquor needs including Wine  are at Liquor Stores only. The Liquor Store Lobby is afraid that if the markets start selling booze they'll put them out of business. A new liquor store opened near the house a couple of years ago and now you can go to a drive up window just like Mc Donald's and get what ever you want with out getting out of your car. How smart is that ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

The store I went to the other day let me use my reuseable cloth bags, but I had to bag the stuff myself. They wouldn't touch them.

Same here. I figure that most of these new rules are in our best interest but if they only follow them half the time they're becoming the problem and not the solution.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Running low on paint, glue, & other supplies......$1200 coming & hobby shops closed....bummer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

Running low on paint, glue, & other supplies......$1200 coming & hobby shops closed....bummer....

My tube of Tamiya putty has gone hard and every project I can think of needs putty!  It’s always something 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the relevant to me section of Arizona's Executive Order.  I'm already doing all that, for many years, so no different.  We are still able to go out, Hobby Lobby is still open, not limiting people, but have a sneeze guard curtain at the cashier.

Meanwhile, my daughter is serving in the Navy, on the one ship that's all over the news, the Theodore Roosevelt, anchored at Guam.  The one text she sent me Sunday said she is fine.  So how do you think that's going for her?

Executive Order 2020-18 COVID-19.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

My tube of Tamiya putty has gone hard and every project I can think of needs putty!  It’s always something 

I solved this problem for Tom down in the Bring Out Your Dead Build thread. (Shameless plug!) B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Here is the relevant to me section of Arizona's Executive Order.  I'm already doing all that, for many years, so no different.  We are still able to go out, Hobby Lobby is still open, not limiting people, but have a sneeze guard curtain at the cashier.

Meanwhile, my daughter is serving in the Navy, on the one ship that's all over the news, the Theodore Roosevelt, anchored at Guam.  The one text she sent me Sunday said she is fine.  So how do you think that's going for her?

Executive Order 2020-18 COVID-19.jpg

They fired the Captain today.  Hope your daughter is doing well. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8182077/Navy-relieve-commander-coronavirus-stricken-USS-Roosevelt-public-plea-help.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, espo said:

Kansas has low alcohol content Beer that can be sold in Super Markets, and full strength is sold only in Liquor Stores only. Any other liquor needs including Wine  are at Liquor Stores only. The Liquor Store Lobby is afraid that if the markets start selling booze they'll put them out of business. A new liquor store opened near the house a couple of years ago and now you can go to a drive up window just like Mc Donald's and get what ever you want with out getting out of your car. How smart is that ? 

In Washington we can get any and all alcohol at the grocery store. We can also buy marijuana at marijuana stores, so the alcohol thing doesn’t seem so big...

No drive throughs though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was working in Washington last summer the marijuana store was right across the street from my hotel. I watched those coming and going.  I stayed in Kirkland... little did we know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 3:11 AM, stitchdup said:

I'm not allowed to leave the house. my anxiety is through the roof as i have some of the high risk conditions. Right now I am the most stressed i have ever been in my life, on the verge of a panic attack and have been since thurs. i cant sleep right and I'm scared to go to my docs. I hope i can do an appointment over the phone so i dont have to put myself at risk or my mum and sister as they have conditions too. me and my sister have both moved back in with mum for the lockdown so at least we aren't alone. I've got some kits with me to build but the motivation just isn't there just now. stay safe folks, think of others before you decide you just have to go out, we are all just trying to get through this with some sanity intact. the fear is the worst thing with this

Sounds like you are doing everything right, so don't sweat it. Keep using common sense, quit scaring yourself, and you'll get through. Remember Churchill's words about fear...

Hang in there, and build a model!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 4:33 PM, espo said:

A new liquor store opened near the house a couple of years ago and now you can go to a drive up window just like Mc Donald's and get what ever you want with out getting out of your car. How smart is that ? 

I was patronizing a liquor store with a drive-up window in the Babylon-on-the-Potomac area in the late 1970s. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I was patronizing a liquor store with a drive-up window in the Babylon-on-the-Potomac area in the late 1970s. B)

The "Babylon-on-the-Potomac", I love it and wish I had been there. I have had a few dubious times during my miss spent youth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

In Washington we can get any and all alcohol at the grocery store. We can also buy marijuana at marijuana stores, so the alcohol thing doesn’t seem so big...

No drive throughs though. 

I'll have to remember that if I should ever relocate. Sounds as if it's your own fault if you can't have a little fun in Washington. I have visited several times through the years and especially like the Olympic area. I have spent some rainy days at Pikes Market and enjoyed every minuet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 10:44 AM, thatz4u said:

Running low on paint, glue, & other supplies......$1200 coming & hobby shops closed....bummer....

Check the Hobby Lobby Stores in your area. We were out foraging yesterday and I saw the two I go to were open. The big 2 story tall and a couple of city blocks long shopping center across the street was closed completely. I understand that Hobby Lobby is trying to stay open and some states are trying to shut them down, so I would hurry if you're out of supplies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife and I are on day 13 of the mandatory two week quarantine after returning from Mexico. I’ve been in the basement mostly working on models. She’s been reading and playing games on her i-pad. We just got a dump of 6” or so of snow and the temps have dropped. This should help to keep some folks inside. The weather was previously nice and all the snow had disappeared. This snow is not going to help the flood situation at all. Hope for a slow melt now! Stay safe everyone!

Greg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

EA4838F5-BC38-4EDE-B1BC-0030DDAB5B56.jpeg.20e578e655bdc5e84e979f3a220efe81.jpeg

Hobby Lobby and all other nonessential businesses are closed in Pennsylvania. And in essential businesses there is no shortage of idiots who think they can take the entire family out shopping, so stores are limiting entry to one and two people per family. My grocery store says one person per cart, so my wife went alone yesterday.

i was watching the special on CNN last night and they showed a chart how this current quarantine is helping the spread exponentially.

Be safe, stay home and build something.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Hobby Lobby and all other nonessential businesses are closed in Pennsylvania. And in essential businesses there is no shortage of idiots who think they can take the entire family out shopping, so stores are limiting entry to one and two people per family. My grocery store says one person per cart, so my wife went alone yesterday.

i was watching the special on CNN last night and they showed a chart how this current quarantine is helping the spread exponentially.

Be safe, stay home and build something.

I saw this morning that Vermont has decreed that "big box" stores rope off areas with "non-essential" goods and won't let you buy them. 

DA HELL? :blink:

First, if you're already there, what difference does it make WHAT you're buying??? 

Second, ANYTHING can be "essential" to somebody who NEEDS it. :angry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When there are lines of people waiting to get into any store, look to see if they are "social distancing" the 6 feet.  I understand Costco has the elderly line up first thing, long line, but nobody is keeping the 6 feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I’m going to get out of the house today. I’ve got a couple hours of snow blowing at least. Hah! Wednesday I was sitting on the deck enjoying a Corona. My buddy was nice enough to drop a couple cases off on my doorstep after  we got home.

72316633-EEE7-422B-B626-EAFE2A7AE60D.jpeg

 

22A3B6E0-BCC1-477B-AC17-2AE3C7E918E8.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

When there are lines of people waiting to get into any store, look to see if they are "social distancing" the 6 feet.  I understand Costco has the elderly line up first thing, long line, but nobody is keeping the 6 feet.

My Walmart now has red lines painted on the entranceway floor showing 6 foot distances, so you get some idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we were at Costco last night they have only one opening to the outside and they have stacked pallets to create a Q for getting into the store area. Not a bad idea. They're also listing the paper products that they don't have in stock, another good idea. Everyone was good about the social distancing thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...