Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting over Polar Lights Pre-Painted body

Has anyone painted over a Polar Lights Pre-painted body?

I have a YELLOW 64 GTO convertible that I would like to paint any other color. I did a quick test shot on the bottom of the hood (which is pre-painted) using a typically good performing paint and acted like there was wax on it.

Thanks!

Always wash the body with soap and water also to remove any residue from the moulding process. I use comet and a toothbrush, I like the mild abrasiveness. Rinse well! 
edit: oops, pre-painted? I haven’t seen one of those.

Edited by NOBLNG

3 hours ago, Mark said:

91% rubbing alcohol will have that paint off in seconds.  

I don't think it will do it in seconds, but I suspect that it will do it. B)

I recently built a Polar Lights '65 Dodge that was prepainted. I wanted to remove some of the sloppy tampo silver overages, and tried doing so very carefully with alcohol on a paper napkin. This didn't take the silver off, but it told me that if I worked it too hard, it WOULD take the red off, so I backed off and fixed the problem another way. I think an overnight soak in 91% would take the paint right off. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:59 PM, SfanGoch said:

Testors Easy Lift Off. It'll even remove lacquer sprayed on unprimed styrene.

91% will do that--at least the hobby lacquers of AMT and Testors. Also the Walmart and Krylon "quick dry enamels." 

I've been mulling over the comments about using IPA for stripping paint. Let me remind you guys that IPA is in dangerously short supply, or non-existent, in many locations. I can't get IPA within 100 miles of me in NYC. Like me, there are numerous people who have a legitimate medical need for IPA, but, due to inconsiderate panic buyers and profiteers hoarding all existing stocks, there is none to be found. Consider this: that last bottle of IPA you snagged at the pharmacy to strip your model could have better served a person who really needed it. You just might save somebody's life by not using IPA for what qualifies as, at this particular time, an extremely frivolous and wasteful purpose.

I bought 2 bottles at Walmart about 3 weeks ago, when they still had plenty, though were asking people to buy no more than 2. The next week, The Lovely Mrs. Snake was scheduled for a week of jury duty, and there was NO hand sanitizer or clean-wipes of any kind available anywhere. I was planning to home-make some wipes by putting the IPA on some paper towels and put them in a sealable plastic bag for her to take with her. Fortunately they cancelled her jury duty ("You will be rescheduled at a later date.") I'm holding onto to the stuff for future possible NEED use, not using it to strip paint at the moment. That good with you? B)