Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another GT40 MKI on the table

This is a CMA transkit that I believe was offered before Fujumi came out with a reverse engineered MK I from their MK II kits.  It's another project that was started (body painted) and was put back in the box I'm not sure how long ago.  Over time I collected wheels and tires and engine and some parts from other GT40 kits.  Since the back will not be opened up as the resin would be tough to cut through - it will be a curbside but with an engine visible from the rear window.  The dash board was outside drying and I' need to do a little more research on the exhaust before I dive in to create the car as it ran in 67 @ Daytona.  As always any thoughts, suggestions and questions are welcome. 

IMG_7297.PNG

IMG_7300.JPG

Edited by vamach1

4 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

This is one of my favorite GT40s, P1049, because it was the first of the Gulf cars before they switched to the orange and light blue.  It was also the first drive of Jackie Ickx for the Grady Davis Gulf team.

Gary,

Do you have any more pictures of P1049 in color? 

Worked some more on it yesterday and this morning.   More decals problems (Fujumi guages) so I ended up doing the glue trick versus putting them in water.  I hope I do not run into this problem with all my older kits.  Once I get the interior done and test fit everything I will figure out how far I will go with the parts box engine.  I'm saving the 3D engines for some other kits and using this one as a test to see what I can do with the rear suspension with leftover IMC MKII and MPC MKIV parts.

IMG_7345.JPG

So the exhaust winner for this build is Thunder Valley cast metal one.  It's on the top left.  Mad Mike's is one the bottom right and is going in the Thunder Valley conversion kit.  The HRM on the top right will go in the modified Fujumi MKI and the bottom left is the IMC set which is 1/25 scale which is too small for these kits and will be used for a MKI.

IMG_7358.JPG

Thanks Jason.  I am going to have to see if any of the kits I have include those interesting roof lights.  The ringlets look smaller than I thought but I spent an hour on the seat already.  I think I have photoeth ringlets but that would take forever to do.

Learning curve.   Started to put on the orange stripe decals are decided they are not going to cut it.  The are too many places they decals will not form to the shape so I spent a lot of time taping.  Also decided to go with the HRM carbs as the others were too large and slanted.  I also had to cut away part of the bulkhead for the engine to fit.  I got a little more done on the interior and will paint the stripes tomorrow and maybe finish the rear suspension and engine assembly.

IMG_7371.JPG

IMG_7373.JPG

On 3/27/2020 at 8:34 PM, vamach1 said:

Thanks Jason.  I am going to have to see if any of the kits I have include those interesting roof lights.  The ringlets look smaller than I thought but I spent an hour on the seat already.  I think I have photoeth ringlets but that would take forever to do.

I did PE ringlets on my 1/12 Trumpeter build a few years back. I'm glad I did it, but it drove me nuts. I wouldn't want to even think about tackling that job in 1/24! Great work so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Not much progress except for getttng the windows glued in.  I ended up swapping the ones I had in the 68/69 car because when I looked at the pictures I realized the Fujumi kit had the correct ones for the 68/69 winner  which were not around when the Thunder Valley kit came out.  The honey do list caught up with after having 2.5 weeks of working on  models every day.

I did get a little happy ordering online two kits.  One from France and one from Italy which hopefully will be here in about a month.  Can anyone guess which ones?

IMG_7474.JPG