Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Lee 1" wreck -- DOH

For those who didn't know, the Charger wreck used in Dukes Season 1 Episode 4 "Repo Men" was the same car that made the jump at the very end of the show's opening credits.  LOVED this car the first time I saw it as a kid, did not know how important it was until decades later.  

Replicating this wreck in 1/25 will be a VERY ambitious project.  Not as simple as wrecking a plastic body.

qzE4wFs.jpg

xmsbN19.jpg

6v3JL7F.jpg

gMZ0cjf.jpg

zurHySJ.jpg

If I can't replicate the body damage, the entire project is pointless.  If I only heat up and bend the plastic body it will look toylike, as the body thickness when scaled up would be akin to a couple inches thick.  Not convincing at all.

THE SOLUTION: Make aluminum foil copies of the body sections to be damaged.  

Let's try it on the hood first:

NJF4dvc.jpg

meeSOoG.jpg

TgLFGwX.jpg

9lbiFx8.jpg

The interior needs special work.  From what I can see in the episode, the interior panels under the rear windows were removed along with the back seat, although I've read that only the seat was removed to install the full roll cage.  

So, I had to remove the rear panel and totally rebuild it as the interior structure that the panel would normally cover.  Was a 2 full day scratchbuilding job, daunting at first but well worth it in the end.  

The carpet will be well worn and stained soon.

I2zF9w1.jpg

xVnBsSL.jpg

38Jp7JK.jpg

NElVuxf.jpg

SgQT2kt.jpg

IEN12wp.jpg

VCj4Lw6.jpg

PdEjgYf.jpg

Vp0KD04.jpg

gZfLQeE.jpg

AUFofWp.jpg

Ek0gamK.jpg

Thanks for the kind words!

'70 Grande, interior panels were totally freelance/freehand.  I found a couple of images online, printed them out and went by them (you can see one of the prints in one of the images with the pencil).  Since it was going to be partially obscured being inside, I figured it didn't have to be 100% exact....just had to look "busy".  

Excellent work..I've considered this project as well , but wanted to do it as less damaged as it was before it was " wrecked" ..but can't figure out that wierd color. Looks like teal blue/green?

They restored that real car ..which I thought was a mistake since so much had been replaced that little of the actual original car that to made that iconic jump  is left. Shoulda left it as it was in it's "petty stock car" configuration .