Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell to Repop the Will do wrecker !

Mr mopar

1 minute ago, vincen47 said:

Good. Good. I’ve been patiently waiting, regretting not getting one last time, yet refusing to pay the ridiculous prices they’re going for on eBay and at the shows.

That's why there's so many on Ebay right now some knows there being repoped again and there dumping them !

That is a good news.  Even these go on eBay for outrageous prices!  The prices for original Can-Do wrecker are even crazier.

Too bad that they won't reissue it as the Can-Do wrecker. That scheme was much prettier (and realistic) than the Will-Do (which is a fantasy scheme).

I'm sure they still have the original decal artwork, and the decal is the only difference between the Can-Do and Will-Do  wrecker. That, and the box of course.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:08 AM, peteski said:

That is a good news.  Even these go on eBay for outrageous prices!  The prices for original Can-Do wrecker are even crazier.

Too bad that they won't reissue it as the Can-Do wrecker. That scheme was much prettier (and realistic) than the Will-Do (which is a fantasy scheme).

I'm sure they still have the original decal artwork, and the decal is the only difference between the Can-Do and Will-Do  wrecker. That, and the box of course.

There are other differences between the two, namely the amber light bars are different. The artwork might be a licensing issue.

I was mistaken when I made this comment. What I meant to say was when the tow company went through the original truck and rebuilt it, they upgraded to different light bars. Revell chose to represent them by leaving them clear on the Will Do version. There are aftermarket companies on FB that offer other light bars for trucks like these if you want to update it.

Edited by mikemodeler
update

11 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I may get a couple of these depending on the price. I doubled my money on the one I bought last time but I would like to build one eventually. 

Me too. Sold a Can-Do for silly money because someone HAD to have it, made decent money on the Will Do as well.

31 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Me too. Sold a Can-Do for silly money because someone HAD to have it, made decent money on the Will Do as well.

It’s probably hard to predict what kits you could “invest” in, (and really not the best financial plan anyway) but this one has been good choice. I bet you could buy two kits when it’s released, build one, and later sell one and easily get all your money back.

Edited by vincen47

9 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Last time it was $80 I believe.

That's pushing it for me,and if i bought it at that money and it came out of the box looking like some of AMts worst i would be ............let me use the pc word, a emotionally distraught person ?

29 minutes ago, Spruslayer said:

Ill be in for one just to build but i have a feeling that its gonna be priced out of my $6o limit per kit budget,might have to lobby the finance committee for a waiver ?

Well, look at it this way. If you don't buy any models in April and May, when it rolls around in June you would have the money saved to buy it.

2 hours ago, Spruslayer said:

That's pushing it for me,and if i bought it at that money and it came out of the box looking like some of AMts worst i would be ............let me use the pc word, a emotionally distraught person ?

The last issue was good and crisp. The cab parts were a bit flashy since they get run for so many different kits but the wrecker body was clean and straight.

5 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

A straight conversion puts that at $69.

It'll probably be a little higher than that and, compared to the cost of other kits today, it'll be worth every penny considering what you get in that kit. Even if you build it box-stock you have many parts left over. How many kits can you say that about? My pockets aren't deep by any means but I hope to buy a few if I can. And let's face it, with the hobby getting smaller by the day due to aging builders, the possible future uncertainty of Revell as a company, not to mention the current unpleasantness going on, there's always the possibility that this might be the last reissue of this kit.

14 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

There are other differences between the two, namely the amber light bars are different. The artwork might be a licensing issue.

Are you sure about that??
I have two "Can-Do" kits issued 1993 and one "Will-Do" kit from 2013 and I just checked,  after what I can see the light bars look exactly the same.
On he box art they are different tho', the "Can-Do" shows amber light bars and the "Will-Do" shows clear light bars, but they are in clear plastic in all kits.

I might get one more if they re-issue it again.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:21 AM, Force said:

Are you sure about that??
I have two "Can-Do" kits issued 1993 and one "Will-Do" kit from 2013 and I just checked,  after what I can see the light bars look exactly the same.
On he box art they are different tho', the "Can-Do" shows amber light bars and the "Will-Do" shows clear light bars, but they are in clear plastic in all kits.

I might get one more if they re-issue it again.

Same here - my Will-Do model's light bars are identical to the Can-Do model.  So again, the only differences are the decals (and of course the box, and I forgot to mention last time: pages of the instructions dealing with the decals.

Speaking of Can-Do (since that is the wrecker on which the model design was based on), there is a German page which shows how it was designed.  Back  then they still used manual drafting (no CAD).  On the bottom of that page is a link to a nice library of detail photos of the Can-Do wrecker.  Excellent reference material!

http://www.truckin24.de/03c1989d69109cc08/peterbiltwreckercandoin125.html

Edited by peteski

I've seen that before and saved all the pictures for references.
It's unfortunate Revell didn't do the kit like the original truck was, because it's quite a difference between a Peterbilt 359 and a 379, a Cat 3406 and a Cummins NTC475, so they took quite a shortcut when they did the kit as they based it on the 359 they allready had, the wrecker body looks to be right tho'.

On that site there are more photos of other trucks Revell did.
Bill Signs Trucking Clydes II Peterbilt 359 http://www.truckin24.de/03c1989d840f69e01/03c1989e1510fe103.html
Kenworth W900 Wrecker http://www.truckin24.de/03c1989d840f69e01/kenworthw900wreckeroriginalfotos.html
And the Beall Tanker http://www.truckin24.de/03c1989d840f69e01/03c1989d831212610.html

They also have photos of trucks they haven't done kits of like Bill Signs Papa Clyde Peterbilt 379 http://www.truckin24.de/03c1989d840f69e01/03c1989f560b54a03.html and a couple more wreckers.
A Peterbilt 359 with Holmes 750 http://www.truckin24.de/03c1989d840f69e01/03c1989e520f58710.html
A Peterbilt 379 with an All-Pro 70 ton rotator http://www.truckin24.de/03c1989d840f69e01/03c1989e580c35722.html
And a Ford LTL 9000 with Vulcan 940 http://www.truckin24.de/03c1989d840f69e01/03c1989e530c5a213.html

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 2:08 AM, peteski said:

On 3/26/2020 at 9:12 AM, mikemodeler said:

I was mistaken when I made this comment. What I meant to say was when the tow company went through the original truck and rebuilt it, they upgraded to different light bars. Revell chose to represent them by leaving them clear on the Will Do version. There are aftermarket companies on FB that offer other light bars for trucks like these if you want to update it.

The "new" rebuilt Can-Do is a completely revamped truck compared to the kit this one represents from almost 30 years ago now. I honestly think maybe the only thing to survive from the original 1:1 in the rebuild was the cab. 

Old Can Do

steppswrecker006custom.jpg.9f7ce3758e9cd378fc858af5fdbe5001.jpg

After Rebuild

3597117061_94c7413314_zps9f29ac57.jpg.431839f69cc6ff3388b6c81de3de1d85.jpg

As it was, the kit was never correct for even the original, because it was a Pete 378 and not a 359, and powered by a Cat and not a Cummapart but Revell just rehashed their 359 to make it look the part. I've spent years collecting the kits and parts to put a 3406 under the hood and a correct cab and hood on the truck so mine will be correct, call me a rivet counter if you like, but when you have actually operated heavy wrecker they sort of become a passion. I have printed out pages of service manuals just to be able to build units and bodies from scratch like they would in the factory.  

Thanks for the info Matthew. I did wonder whatever happened to that wrecker. Looks like it is still around (reborn).  To a non-expert (like me) visually is doesn't look too different.  Yes I do see some difference in the cab and the "doo-dads" in the back.  I'm glad they are still using the same paint scheme - it is quite attractive.

When I built my model (in the '90s, not too long after the initial kit release), I just built the kit and installed working lights. I wasn't really going for an exact replica.

57-01_150_zpslokkhb51.jpg

8 hours ago, highway said:

The "new" rebuilt Can-Do is a completely revamped truck compared to the kit this one represents from almost 30 years ago now. I honestly think maybe the only thing to survive from the original 1:1 in the rebuild was the cab. 

Old Can Do

steppswrecker006custom.jpg.9f7ce3758e9cd378fc858af5fdbe5001.jpg

After Rebuild

3597117061_94c7413314_zps9f29ac57.jpg.431839f69cc6ff3388b6c81de3de1d85.jpg

As it was, the kit was never correct for even the original, because it was a Pete 378 and not a 359, and powered by a Cat and not a Cummapart but Revell just rehashed their 359 to make it look the part. I've spent years collecting the kits and parts to put a 3406 under the hood and a correct cab and hood on the truck so mine will be correct, call me a rivet counter if you like, but when you have actually operated heavy wrecker they sort of become a passion. I have printed out pages of service manuals just to be able to build units and bodies from scratch like they would in the factory.  

That is what I thought, they had gone through the truck and updated it. Looks like a wheel lift was added and they definitely repainted it and updated the lighting. I would suspect that a brand new truck would be upwards of $800,000 - $1,000,000 so spending a couple hundred thousand would be much more economical. And given that this truck operates in Florida, it probably doesn't get as rusty as one in the North would. 

If you are interested in replicating the newer version, there is a seller on FB that has those lightbars.

The original Can-Do version also had an underlift (or wheel lift if you want to call it that) , the rotator boom is resting on it on the first picture, but it looks like the rebuilt truck is updated with a beefier underlift.
Otherwise it looks like the Challenger rotator and wrecker body is the same.

Original version.

355467735_001.SteppsTowingServicePeterbilt379(Small).jpg.8b0e7c839c9b6f5d3ddc574457aa7a4d.jpg

Rebuilt version.

hqdefault.jpg.337ad8d25998569e4a57b418f2c6da1c.jpg

Edited by Force