Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell to Repop the Will do wrecker !

Mr mopar

10 hours ago, Force said:

The original Can-Do version also had an underlift (or wheel lift if you want to call it that) , the rotator boom is resting on it on the first picture, but it looks like the rebuilt truck is updated with a beefier underlift.
Otherwise it looks like the Challenger rotator and wrecker body is the same.

Original version.

355467735_001.SteppsTowingServicePeterbilt379(Small).jpg.8b0e7c839c9b6f5d3ddc574457aa7a4d.jpg

Rebuilt version.

Håkan, where did you find this photo?  I have been searching for a photo showing rear of the original Can-Do and until now I could not find one.  Do you happen to also have a close-up of the original light bar (but better than the one on the kit's side panel)?

The reason I was looking for the rear view was to see where the license plate is located. Kit doesn't have a decal for the rear plate and it appears that 1:1 truck didn't have the rear plate either! Which is strange as AFAIK, in USA all vehicles are required to have rear plate (with front plate being optional in some states).

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Håkan, where did you find this photo?  I have been searching for a photo showing rear of the original Can-Do and until now I could not find one.  Do you happen to also have a close-up of the original light bar (but better than the one on the kit's side panel)?

The reason I was looking for the rear view was to see where the license plate is located. Kit doesn't have a decal for the rear plate and it appears that 1:1 truck didn't have the rear plate either! Which is strange as AFAIK, in USA all vehicles are required to have rear plate (with front plate being optional in some states).

He probably found them the same place I found these Peter. I can't remember if I just ran across them in a Google image search or if it was on a site somewhere, but there are some I saved to my computer of mostly the old but also of the rebuild. 

767566608_001_20Stepps20Towing20Service20Peterbilt2037920(Small).jpg.436bf4e6f2bd2cb531ade12d4dcd54ed.jpgsteppswrecker009custom.jpg.253062f5c424f61bb6f4d749dc48b84e.jpg979455901_002_20Stepps20Towing20Service20Peterbilt2037920(Small).jpg.777dc1f13c0789b0f70f3f08651d09a9.jpg1594250323_003_20Stepps20Towing20Service20Peterbilt2037920(Small).jpg.601b1ba87616a01967704a3541cb664d.jpg2006522457_004_20Stepps20Towing20Service20Peterbilt2037920(Small).jpg.0fa38eb37fbcfed30b5f575fc75bc015.jpg3597117061_94c7413314.jpg.9e8ecb52a1f406195ae11383bb2a9a52.jpgIMG_8077.jpg.a34de836a593b334f7d99df2d5fdf9fb.jpgIMG_8086.jpg.26a37688d5932761abfce95799281a0a.jpg2040420253_Peterbilt20Wrecker20Handmuster201992_jpg0220(Small).jpg.2800c208836c831240689da36e22bb45.jpgpeterbiltwreckerstepps035custom.jpg.fd5aeb1f93c952a1a7b7c5e0ec85f188.jpgpeterbiltwreckerstepps036custom.jpg.f09d5941994eca44eb24c44dc39b2d3c.jpgpeterbiltwreckerstepps037custom.jpg.1f01fc470ad40e12b47aa907fc70d432.jpgpeterbiltwreckerstepps038custom.jpg.571c8abc8890f712e1fb4bd5d113dfa0.jpgpeterbiltwreckerstepps039custom.jpg.9ae7e28587d8e42ec57b85a1269b6c25.jpgpeterbiltwreckerstepps041custom.jpg.aa2c9df3c3b8ac51ee90bbb478e598ba.jpgsteppswrecker004custom.jpg.b5b0b796adcf2b983ffacc3dfe0ddca5.jpgsteppswrecker008custom.jpg.24489d112f14f65c05a01e32bba08a08.jpg

steppswrecker006custom.jpg

16 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

That is what I thought, they had gone through the truck and updated it. Looks like a wheel lift was added and they definitely repainted it and updated the lighting. I would suspect that a brand new truck would be upwards of $800,000 - $1,000,000 so spending a couple hundred thousand would be much more economical. And given that this truck operates in Florida, it probably doesn't get as rusty as one in the North would. 

If you are interested in replicating the newer version, there is a seller on FB that has those lightbars.

Yes, new rotators can easily go for around that price today, I'm sure Can Do in it's day new was probably every bit of a half a million dollar machine then. They also bring in the big money when they leave the shop too, one rotator operator I spoke to where I used to work while he was cleaning up from a trailer he had just picked up that had been dropped on its nose said in our small town area it was $600 an hour just for that rotator to leave the shop. The wheel lift, or as Hakan corrected you the underlift, or as I always called it on the unit I operated the axle lift because 99.9% of the time you're picking up the vehicle being towed by its axle, was one of the updates and the old school sling was deleted. Even though with today's plastic trucks the sling has little use anymore, it's still sad to see it go because on major wrecks it could still be used when the axles are too damaged to tow from, though the lift can serve the same purpose as there are hooks on it also to hook chains to just as the sling had. It basically was just a way to hook older trucks or severely damaged wrecks with chains around a strong point on the frame and hook the chains to the sling and lift. 

Thanks too, I know that FB page very well, I've had my eyes on quite a few of that seller's lightbars because I have quite a few projects in mind that can use them. I also pic up Lingberg Crown Vics and Dodge Charger police units (and especially the Chargers since they have 7 spare lightbars per kit) as donors for lightbars. 

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

Thanks Matthew!

You're welcome Peter!

While I was looking through my pics for those Can Do pics, and even though it isn't one of the heavies I drove, I stumbled across this pic of one of the medium duty trucks I drove during my towing career. That was built out of an old Ryder truck re-purposed to be a wrecker. She, like many of the trucks in the fleet, could be heard coming because she had straight pipes, but didn't sound as sweet as the heavies that would set of car alarms!  

truck2.gif.53d76d511aa60e9223dfcc568b9c11ee.gif 

8 hours ago, highway said:

He probably found them the same place I found these Peter. I can't remember if I just ran across them in a Google image search or if it was on a site somewhere, but there are some I saved to my computer of mostly the old but also of the rebuild. 

Most likley as I have the same pictures, I found them the same way some time ago...but I don't remeber where.

2 hours ago, Force said:

Most likley as I have the same pictures, I found them the same way some time ago...but I don't remeber where.

That's why I can't remember either, because mine are in a backup folder on one of my external hard drives from a long since gone computer in one of my model research folders. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm interested in knowing if anyone has any more CREDIBLE information on this being reissued? I had a friend check with the distributor he orders new issues from about getting 2 cases for me when and if these were coming, and according to the distributor's contact at Revell this information is COMPLETELY FALSE, THE WILL DO IS NOT SCHEDULED FOR REISSUE!!!!! I'm sure that the distributor's contact or the distributor would not lie to my friend when he wanted to buy at least  4 cases of them, 2 for him and 2 for me, and I seen the message from the distributor saying his Revell contact has said this is not on the reissue schedule? Anyone have some FIRM PROOF?? 

8 minutes ago, Force said:

I don't know if it's confirmed or not, I have seen the information regarding a reissue here and on the MTDG facebook group...so it can be wishful thinking for all I know. :rolleyes:

Yes Haken I did too and both posts started in by the same person. That is why I'm asking to see some hard concrete proof from Revell or a retailer or something else credible since the distributor I was going to order from his Revell contact said this was false info. It is just upsetting to not only me but my friend as well because we both wanted to get orders in early because I wanted 2 cases for myself for not only my building stash but for when prices go back up on them a couple for selling stash, and my friend holds live auctions on his Facebook group and he knows as soon he would get them in they would have sold so he wanted at least 2 cases for himself for his auctions. 

20 hours ago, highway said:

Yes Haken I did too and both posts started in by the same person. That is why I'm asking to see some hard concrete proof from Revell or a retailer or something else credible since the distributor I was going to order from his Revell contact said this was false info. It is just upsetting to not only me but my friend as well because we both wanted to get orders in early because I wanted 2 cases for myself for not only my building stash but for when prices go back up on them a couple for selling stash, and my friend holds live auctions on his Facebook group and he knows as soon he would get them in they would have sold so he wanted at least 2 cases for himself for his auctions. 

Well what can I say  . I asked this Question to Revell USA on Facebook  and they told me yes it is coming sometime this yes why would they lie ,so I'm only going by what they told me  end of story .

3 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Well what can I say  . I asked this Question to Revell USA on Facebook  and they told me yes it is coming sometime this yes why would they lie ,so I'm only going by what they told me  end of story .

So  you asked?? Strange that I can only find someone else asking when I looked on Revell USA's Facebook page, and I know from the trucking groups I'm in there your profile pic is the same on Facebook as it is here. 

944715083_Screenshot(104).png.3b445e77f78f5b9c27b309a45760f4d3.png

Anyway regardless of who asked, finding the answer from Revell may explain the confusion. The answer says" A " Pete 359 is coming out in the summer, it does  NOT specify that it will be the wrecker. Hopefully it will be, but with just a vague "a Peterbilt 359" answer may be just the tractor kit.  

1 hour ago, highway said:

So  you asked?? Strange that I can only find someone else asking when I looked on Revell USA's Facebook page, and I know from the trucking groups I'm in there your profile pic is the same on Facebook as it is here. 

Anyway regardless of who asked, finding the answer from Revell may explain the confusion. The answer says" A " Pete 359 is coming out in the summer, it does  NOT specify that it will be the wrecker. Hopefully it will be, but with just a vague "a Peterbilt 359" answer may be just the tractor kit.  

I don't know where you looked but it's under post the  Facebook Revell usa  Mach 23 2020 there is a photo of the will do truck .

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Looking at a Vendor Distribution list the Pete 359 Tractor is due for a restock in May. There isn't a listing for the tow truck through at least July. 

If there is a price listed near the model it would be a good indicator if it's the wrecker or not,the wrecker is likely to go for more money.

8 hours ago, highway said:

Why are you so upset about this? It will be okay. It’s just plastic. 

3 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

If there is a price listed near the model it would be a good indicator if it's the wrecker or not,the wrecker is likely to go for more money.

Aside from the fact that the stock number would indicate which kit it would be.  It quite literally says Peterbilt 359 Tractor Cab, that doesn't leave any ambiguity in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I don't know where you looked but it's under post the  Facebook Revell usa  Mach 23 2020 there is a photo of the will do truck .

It's right there on the screenshot where I looked, the OFFICIAL Revell USA Facebook page, and there were no pics of the will do and the only post that was made on that page even in March was on the 5th about a plane. 

https://www.facebook.com/RevellUSA/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

31 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Why are you so upset about this? It will be okay. It’s just plastic. 

It is not that I'm really upset about this, it is just that other than liking to add a couple more of these to the stash without paying an arm and a leg to do so, I don't like false information, especially when it makes me look like I'm the one that doesn't know what I'm talking about! 

8 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

OK, so I did find it because I was on the home tab of the page and not the community tab of the page. 

234135943_Screenshot(105).png.dbf7263680c91269aba595e432c4035d.png

Now, with the vendor distribution information James provided, it seems the Germans don't know an American wrecker from a tractor. 

4 hours ago, hpiguy said:

Has anyone on here built the kit?

Is it more or less challenging than the AMT wrecker? Meaning, vague part locations, etc.?

Curious, thanks!

I have one about half built of the original Can Do issue Chris, and the instructions are typical Revell of Germany quality for that kit, very nice and easy to follow. I would guess since I have some of the other Revell USA issued Revell of Germany truck kits those instructions didn't deviate much from the German issued instructions, the ones for the last issue as the Will Do were also easy to follow. 

As for challenging buildwise, this blows that AMT kit out of the water because EVERYTHING is designed to operate as it would on the real truck. It will take care building and painting to make sure everything operates as it should. 

10 hours ago, highway said:

OK, so I did find it because I was on the home tab of the page and not the community tab of the page. 

234135943_Screenshot(105).png.dbf7263680c91269aba595e432c4035d.png

Now, with the vendor distribution information James provided, it seems the Germans don't know an American wrecker from a tractor. 

There you go right from the horses mouth !

4 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

There you go right from the horses mouth !

You're still not obviously understanding that from the vendor's distribution information everything is saying TRACTOR! That and the fact that the price mentioned in one of the comments that the price would be 61.99 Euros and no price for the American market had been determined yet, but that figures out to close to $62 here in the states which is exactly what the distributor I was inquiring about the wrecker to is selling the recent reissue of the Kenworth W900 should be another clue it's going to be just a TRACTOR! Even Revell USA is ran out of Germany, why would they be giving prices in Euros if it was here? You can still believe what you want, but I know when distributors information says it isn't coming, IT ISN'T COMING!