Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

StevenGuthmiller

Well, it's on to the next project!

This time it will be this original AMT 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix.

I have the usual plans for this one, going with a full detail build, including a full engine and chassis swap, a complete rebuild of the interior, and God knows what else at this point! :D

I'll be using the chassis from the AMT '62 Catalina kit which seems to be a pretty good fit, although of course there are some fairly extensive compatibility issues.

Engine will likely be a modern tri-power 389 from........where ever. ;)

The color is going to be correct '64 Pontiac "Sunfire Red" procured from Scale Finishes.

Interior will be white and red.

So far, I've begun working on those compatibility issues between the chassis and interior, and so far, I think I have settled upon a workable strategy.

The main stumbling block has been the fact that the interior and chassis have completely different shapes and sizes of transmission tunnels.

But I think my plan will work sufficiently.

image.jpeg.319dae91728c67a99778de00c77d6315.jpeg

image.jpeg.4f3e92a14fb2cf62416c4bd0204c65cc.jpeg

image.jpeg.ec8a59cffdc4425f72be26df82db7882.jpeg

image.jpeg.d0be5e28acb35499e9752b836319a824.jpeg

image.jpeg.bd5aa468d291e0e547020fd405275a97.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks guys!

I do have a little update on what I accomplished today.

Not much!! :P

I spent a good portion of the day at the bench, but unfortunately, it appears that little was accomplished.

I'm pretty certain that I spent at least a couple of hours removing original hardware and trim and re-scribing the pleating on one of the door panels for better definition, as well as the same on the GP logo on the door panel.

I also added the new trim and puttied up a gouge.

image.jpeg.9bc68582b93a6b27298c480c9ecf7f74.jpeg

Then I spent the remainder of my time beginning the process of separating the seats from the console, and figuring out a solution for refining the appearance of the seats to some extent.

image.jpeg.22e4d435da97ba99e4d3571e299744b8.jpeg

image.jpeg.2703a2eaac4bc338de9129a7034bbf97.jpeg

image.jpeg.9cff0ec4b8d14c26510da8b7db262e38.jpeg

Steve

LOL ,,, hey Steve, guess what I was thinking about starting while waiting for the Chrysler bumper to come back from the plater??? LOL ?

Don't know if I want to be doing the same car at the same time though, I do have lots of other projects. ?

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

LOL ,,, hey Steve, guess what I was thinking about starting while waiting for the Chrysler bumper to come back from the plater??? LOL ?

Don't know if I want to be doing the same car at the same time though, I do have lots of other projects. ?

Don't let this stop you!!

Consider it a sort of "dueling Pontiacs" thing. ;)

I think it would be kind of fun, and we could could share information and maybe a technique or 2 along the way.

How cool, (and confusing) would that be?

2 Steves and their '64 Grand Prixs! :D

Steve

Hey Steve, I have the PE hood hinges from the Trumpeter 60 Bonneville that I'll never use, due to my "old guy" eyes and fat fingers. I bet they would work great on this Pontiac, and I'm sure you could make them work.

If you want them, just say the word, and they're yours.

Rich

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Don't let this stop you!!

Consider it a sort of "dueling Pontiacs" thing. ;)

I think it would be kind of fun, and we could could share information and maybe a technique or 2 along the way.

How cool, (and confusing) would that be?

2 Steves and their '64 Grand Prixs! :D

Steve

Especially if you both use the same color!

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

And isn't it nice not to have to remove convertible top bolsters?:D

Vinyl roof, or no?

I agree with that.

But unfortunately, that didn't save me from having to do work in the rear seat area.

The rear arm rests are virtually non-existent in the kit.

Arm rests need to be added and the seat modified for them to fit.

Believe it or not, this is a case where ultimately, the rear seat "should" be narrowed!

I've decided that rather than narrow the entire seat, I would cut out a section of the seat to allow space for arm rests.

No on the vinyl top.

I will be sanding the vinyl top detail from the roof.

Funny how it always seems to work out for me that kits with the vinyl molded in I ultimately decide to remove, and I often wind up adding vinyl to the ones that don't have it.

Maybe I'm just being obstinate! :D

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Very interesting. I did mine in Marimba Red with the white vinyl roof and white interior trimmed in red. The mistake I made was to open the trunk and doors. The styrene was brittle, and the a  pillars and rockers broke. I have another unbuilt one in the collection.. The next Pontiac for me will be a Bonneville. Either a 68 convertible or a 67 Hardtop.

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

Hey Steve, I have the PE hood hinges from the Trumpeter 60 Bonneville that I'll never use, due to my "old guy" eyes and fat fingers. I bet they would work great on this Pontiac, and I'm sure you could make them work.

If you want them, just say the word, and they're yours.

Rich

I appreciate that Richard, but I have a set of those hinges and I likely won't use them.

If I do decide to add working hinges on this project, I'll try my hand again at scratch building them.

At this point, it's too early to tell what I will decide.

Thanks for the offer though Richard!

I do appreciate it!

Steve

28 minutes ago, Teds57 said:

Steve i have a complete revell 389 out of the 66 GTO if you want it let me know and its yours

If you're offering Ted, I think I will take you up on that offer.

I have a partial '66 Goat engine, but I used some of the parts some time ago for a '67 Bonneville build.

I'll keep in touch!

Thank you very much!!

Steve

6 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Very interesting. I did mine in Marimba Red with the white vinyl roof and white interior trimmed in red. The mistake I made was to open the trunk and doors. The styrene was brittle, and the a  pillars and rockers broke. I have another unbuilt one in the collection.. The next Pontiac for me will be a Bonneville. Either a 68 convertible or a 67 Hardtop.

I was very conflicted as to whether I wanted to start this Grand Prix, or the '64 Bonneville convertible that is waiting in the weeds.

The Bonneville will most likely get the full treatment as well, using a stretched version of the same chassis used in this build.

It will be painted "Aquamarine" (P-code).

Haven't decided on interior color, but it will have interchangeable boot and up top, and a completely re-worked interior.

I'll finally be able to show off an interior without a top over it! :D

Unfortunately, it will probably fall into line behind this build, and the '68 Coronet R/T that will likely follow it. :(

Steve

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

If you're offering Ted, I think I will take you up on that offer.

I have a partial '66 Goat engine, but I used some of the parts some time ago for a '67 Bonneville build.

I'll keep in touch!

Thank you very much!!

Steve

sure thing Steve and your very welcome  Just Pm me and it will be on its way

Your front seats already look 100% better than the kit's. Your mentioned a Tri Power setup. A few years ago I built an AMT '62 Catalina and wanted a Tri Power. I used the setup from the AMT '64 GTO Hardtop and it looked the part and fit just fine. This even gave me the three small chrome air cleaners. From your picture it looks like the Chassis just drops in except for the front frame horns.    

2 hours ago, espo said:

Your front seats already look 100% better than the kit's. Your mentioned a Tri Power setup. A few years ago I built an AMT '62 Catalina and wanted a Tri Power. I used the setup from the AMT '64 GTO Hardtop and it looked the part and fit just fine. This even gave me the three small chrome air cleaners. From your picture it looks like the Chassis just drops in except for the front frame horns.    

The chassis is a pretty good fit, and yes I did have to snip a little off of the bumper brackets.

I'm certain that there will be other adjustments that need to be made.

My biggest concern is the fender wells.

In order for it to fit perfectly, either the front wells should be adjusted back very slightly, or the back wells moved ahead a tiny bit.

It fits as is, but the tolerances are very tight.

Steve