Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

StevenGuthmiller

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

What technique do you use to remove the side panels on the interior tub? Do you scribe from the inside?

Depending on the thickness of the plastic, (which is usually pretty thick in these old annuals) I will cut with a #11 blade on the inside.

But, as impatient as I am, I usually wind up resorting to a razor saw from the outside, occasionally even a Dremel with a cutting wheel. :rolleyes:

Steve

Thanks guys!

Decided to focus a bit on the dashboard today.

I didn't care for the flat gauge cluster on the dash, so I thought that I would try to remedy that.

I drilled out the original gauges and started on the task of trying to make new ones that stood out from the dash a bit further and angled towards the driver a little as they should.

image.jpeg.87ad3967793a3464e4d07837d07d0e8b.jpeg

image.jpeg.a97ed9d5f918cb9a408e7994398584cd.jpeg

image.jpeg.0446c6e91c20a382a3d7964658fc728e.jpeg

image.jpeg.1ddbd0cee3121a99dccbcde4b4fc1dc9.jpeg

image.jpeg.2d172cb63d7d1bba525c9a6291580b56.jpeg

Steve

Thanks guys!

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice improvement Steven!  It's not everyone that have the guts to drill in the original kit dash to make this kind of work! I personally love this kind of improvement... nice job!!!

I was a little nervous about that, but I knew that I could make it work one way or another.

So much so that I decided to drill out and replace the dash knobs as well. :rolleyes:

A couple of the knobs were very close together, but once the knobs are in place, there shouldn't be a problem.

image.jpeg.d39bc8fbfdd2bf68b356a674d5c21a42.jpeg

Steve

Thanks guys.

4 hours ago, Bucky said:

Whatcha gonna use for knobs?

The knobs will be pieces of plastic rod, the base slightly larger and drilled out for a smaller knob to be slid into the base.

I used this technique once before on a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville dash.

image.jpeg.39e6dd3e4f3b99cb22700a8aa9c4049f.jpeg

image.jpeg.12e71230612a3951b969ad3e029dcc7b.jpeg

5 hours ago, Bucky said:

Have you got some gauge decals for this one? I'll bet there's a couple more of us could use some. My '64 GP being one of them! Haha

Actually Keith, believe it or not, they are readily available from "Best Model Car Parts". ^_^

image.jpeg.6e81a92df999c120d4431e3d6e8ea5ab.jpeg

Steve

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Actually Keith, believe it or not, they are readily available from "Best Model Car Parts". ^_^

image.jpeg.6e81a92df999c120d4431e3d6e8ea5ab.jpeg

Steve

I really love Michael's gauge faces but I don't use them on my 60's Pontiacs.  The reason is the black gauge background which to my eye is not correct for these cars.  If I could scan them into something like Photoshop and change the background to what looks to me like a gray with a very slight blue tint, I would be happier.

image209-930x620.jpg

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

I really love Michael's gauge faces but I don't use them on my 60's Pontiacs.  The reason is the black gauge background which to my eye is not correct for these cars.  If I could scan them into something like Photoshop and change the background to what looks to me like a gray with a very slight blue tint, I would be happier.

image209-930x620.jpg

What if you printed them in a gray background and then put a blue tint in a drop of clear (clear epoxy , krystal klear, etc) to put over them?