Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

StevenGuthmiller

5 hours ago, Curt said:

I really love Michael's gauge faces but I don't use them on my 60's Pontiacs.  The reason is the black gauge background which to my eye is not correct for these cars.  If I could scan them into something like Photoshop and change the background to what looks to me like a gray with a very slight blue tint, I would be happier.

I'm just happy that somebody produces anything for a 56 year old kit! ^_^

I'm okay with the black.

I'm no good with printing decals anyway.

Steve

On 4/25/2020 at 9:49 PM, slusher said:

Looking forward to more of your dash work. 

Thanks Carl!

Started getting my weird hood hinge configuration worked out today. :D

I started by utilizing the static hinges from the AMT '62 Catalina kit.

A plate with pins was installed on the hood itself.

image.jpeg.d71d36feb559188351c4fd732fa4f634.jpeg

The hinges then had a slotted plate added that will quickly slip over the pins and secure the hinges to the hood.

image.jpeg.4cfb5475bb7b92ab36c99c69fbe89e2a.jpeg

image.jpeg.183775bfb28cf7e8380e1c8c931c40e5.jpeg

Micro magnets were added to the back of the hinge and the firewall making it possible to display the hood in the open position if desired without a prop, or closed by simple removing the hinges.

It's a bit of a strange configuration and will require that the hinges be kept loose with the model when the hood is closed, but it will allow me to display it how I would like without making actual working hinges, or cutting slots in the firewall for hinges to fold back into.

Just as screw posts under the hood have become something that I can't abide, large hinge slots cut into the firewall have become unsightly features that I really can't get past anymore. -_-

image.jpeg.2b1a9ea24c5075aad7e28217f4e547b9.jpeg

image.jpeg.5eaa7d67f39b49249e8e224792f75b4b.jpeg

image.jpeg.83d0a7e37db4215682dd7b5f7e3fdabf.jpeg

image.jpeg.bbe649d962daa8fb8dbad2b4e48094cc.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Just in case anyone was wondering, yes, this configuration is more than strong enough to do the job that it is intended to do.

If one hinge will hold the hood in place, 2 will be more than enough strength. ;)

image.jpeg.3a37ae374bdbca6d2f825257a6be66f0.jpeg

image.jpeg.6ab38a2bc61bb0e2ffb69b83750d3321.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

49 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Super good job Steven!  Where did you find these micro magnets?  They might be useful for other applications too.

I picked these up on ebay.

100 magnets for $6.43.

There are many shapes and sizes to choose from.

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I picked these up on ebay.

100 magnets for $6.43.

There are many shapes and sizes to choose from.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steven!  eBay is an endless source of product... I'm on this auction site since 2002 and always surprised by the variety of items available!

2 hours ago, Nazz said:

Micro magnets . Ingenious! I will have to try this idea also! Thanks Steve.

Just so folks know, the application of the magnets to the hinges might be a unique idea, but micro magnets for modeling applications are definitely not.

People have been using them for quite some time for things like holding doors closed.

This is not a technique that I can take credit for. :P

Steve

MAN Steven I am digging this modification. which indeed adds a great level of realism. The only thing I would personally worry about, is if you took it to a show or competition, and someone decided to try and "close" the hood. In those situations, I would likely still display with either hood on, or next to it to prevent someone from accidentally damaging it, or turning it over and knocking the hood to the floor etc.

Thanks everyone!

2 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

The only thing I would personally worry about, is if you took it to a show or competition, and someone decided to try and "close" the hood.

I appreciate the concern Mark, and I understand your point, but part of the beauty of this is the fact that if someone were to try to close the hood, it should just break loose the magnets resulting in no damage.

A much better outcome than if the hinges were glued to the firewall and hood.

Besides, I have not yet attended a show where someone has had the cohones to pick up or tip over someone else's model without permission!

That's a little like sitting on a Hell's Angels member's Harley!! :D

Steve