Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

StevenGuthmiller

Finished up the small interior and exterior chrome parts today.

The interior door handles and window cranks are scratch made.

The antenna base is a Grandt Line railroad bolt and washer.

Console vacuum gauge and shifter are modified kit parts.

The exterior door handles are of course the venerable Fireball Modelworks pieces.

I also made a set of door lock buttons and a blinker switch.

All finished with Alclad chrome.

image.jpeg.e88265cdea4f72f276679cbdd51f0a6e.jpeg

image.jpeg.5394292ad10f658d2e7859b87de3b179.jpeg

image.jpeg.477db210a931758fb3214fbfe4738ac0.jpeg

image.jpeg.094a31c2c61268efff351dd0ac4800de.jpeg

image.jpeg.c80f3fd2c5ba55abd1e48448f232930e.jpeg

Steve

Lovin this build! Beautiful work!

I'm gonna steal a couple of your tricks like the mini magnets.

I ordered some off eBay (100 for less than $8) and promptly dropped one of them on the carpet ? .  The good news is that I grabbed my steel Carpenter’s square and swept it over the area I dropped it on and found it fast! These are fairly strong!

47AE8485-7BB7-477A-80E4-3D9335C37106.jpeg.fe06d161df9ddf944ae567aa4f574569.jpeg

Now that’s a mini-magnet!

Edited by BDSchindler

4 hours ago, BDSchindler said:

Lovin this build! Beautiful work!

I'm gonna steal a couple of your tricks like the mini magnets.

I ordered some off eBay (100 for less than $8) and promptly dropped one of them on the carpet ? .  The good news is that I grabbed my steel Carpenter’s square and swept it over the area I dropped it on and found it fast! These are fairly strong!

Now that’s a mini-magnet!

They are strong!

I've had them "jump" a few inches from my bench to a tweezers or other metal tool. :D

Steve

Steve,  wonderful updates since I last checked in. 

The polishing of the body is just like the interior...........in that the scale and detail throughout are just perfection.  Your paint always looks great but I've always admired the depth of it. It always appear "in scale".  Polishing paint like that must be a bit nerve wracking worrying about burning through it somewhere.   Like the "thought I'd throw some carpet on the door panel while I was at it".........that's an after thought for most and again I look at it and the scale you achieved and it just brings the door panel to life.  Nicely done sir!  

cheers, tim

Thanks guys!!

6 hours ago, Codi said:

Steve,  wonderful updates since I last checked in. 

The polishing of the body is just like the interior...........in that the scale and detail throughout are just perfection.  Your paint always looks great but I've always admired the depth of it. It always appear "in scale".  Polishing paint like that must be a bit nerve wracking worrying about burning through it somewhere.   Like the "thought I'd throw some carpet on the door panel while I was at it".........that's an after thought for most and again I look at it and the scale you achieved and it just brings the door panel to life.  Nicely done sir!  

cheers, tim

Thanks Tim!

With the paint regimen that I use, I normally don't have to worry a lot about burning through during the polishing process, although it can still happen.

I use as many as 5 clear coats which greatly reduces the risk of burn through.

Steve

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

With the paint regimen that I use, I normally don't have to worry a lot about burning through during the polishing process, although it can still happen.

I use as many as 5 clear coats which greatly reduces the risk of burn through

I think a lot of people use those Micromesh polishing grits that go up (down?) to 1800 grit cloths or whatever they come with, and end up using an unnecessarily coarse grit to start out the process - seems like that’s asking for trouble.

Your technique is a testament to your painting skills Steve!  I’m always envious of your finishes!

Thanks so much Steve and Jim!

I appreciate it!

Now that I've returned from a week of vacation, I'm anxious to get back to this project!

So far, I've managed to find enough time at the bench to finish up the console and the door panels. (except for the door lock buttons to be added at the time of final assembly)

image.jpeg.ddd47c97d050f5720b5dded2a4eafe9b.jpeg

image.jpeg.d6ce1acd267bf6198fc5a42a3d7e1b86.jpeg

Steve

Very nice looking interior, well actually, very nice overall build.  I was looking at those door panels and could not figure what the third handle on the front door was for, then it hit me -- roll-out vent windows.  It's been a while since I sat in a car with those.

4 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I was looking at those door panels and could not figure what the third handle on the front door was for, then it hit me -- roll-out vent windows.  It's been a while since I sat in a car with those.

I hear ya!

Been a long time since I've been in a car with vent windows at all. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I hear ya!

Been a long time since I've been in a car with vent widows at all. ;)

Steve

I actually have a 1968 Imperial that has electric vent windows. I had never seen any of those until I bought this car.

The problem right now is....they don't work! LoL