Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

StevenGuthmiller

I managed to throw on the first couple of coats of "Sunfire Red" this afternoon, with probably one, possibly two more to go.

I really do like this color!

It's quite unique and very "Pontiac". ^_^

Painting bodies is always the most nerve racking part of the project for me, but in the end, it's one of the most rewarding as well.

image.jpeg.2209b63786c98a494ee7e3daafb9f478.jpeg

image.jpeg.32c3e34613c5d181b776a6a8f526b86a.jpeg

image.jpeg.9608073912c5fce3f29a4bf3065806cd.jpeg

image.jpeg.86663f7a9d82d1bea619a62ceac94db8.jpeg

Steve

26 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks guys.

If past experience with Scale Finishes base coat is any indication, the color will deepen considerably with clear.

Question Sir?

" with clear "     do you use their clear or a magic brew of your own?

Kevin

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Painting bodies is always the most nerve racking part of the project for me, but in the end, it's one of the most rewarding as well.

Absolutely true Steven!  Same feeling for me, a botched or ordinary paint job will destroy most of the good work done because it's the first thing you will see and comment on a build.  You can relax now, you are on the good track with yours!  I love that color!!!

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Absolutely true Steven!  Same feeling for me, a botched or ordinary paint job will destroy most of the good work done because it's the first thing you will see and comment on a build.  You can relax now, you are on the good track with yours!  I love that color!!!

I'm not out of the woods yet! :)

I still have to foil the scripts and then give it at least one more shot of color.

Then there will be as many as 5 coats of clear to contend with!

Steve

Today I started out by foiling the very tiny Grand Prix scripts, (especially the front quarter panel scripts) and then shot the final color coat, followed by cleaning off the scripts.

I really didn't see the possibility of being able to foil each letter on the quarter panels separately, so I was forced to break the cardinal rule and foil the letters with rectangular pieces of foil.

You can currently make out the edge of that piece under the paint, but it will disappear under the clear coats.

Clear coating will commence over the weekend.

image.jpeg.08ec55cf215af176b837cd39653da8f3.jpeg

image.jpeg.f8eb9e1e4e9c4a960eb647e0e4950846.jpeg

image.jpeg.b8cd293ac03a68ff8a5d061792ee50fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.21050468cb8247082904f4641201b8ed.jpeg

image.jpeg.7a558fd3225a79e8906b67c9c47abd45.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Hi Steve, I'm really enjoying this one.  Pontiacs were not particularly common in Australia and were based on RHD versions of the Canadian Pontiac Laurentian and Parisienne.  My grandfather owned Pontiacs throughout the sixties and into the seventies before he passed so the hold a soft spot in my heart.  He had a 64 Parissienne in baby blue , a four door sedan which was considered a luxury car in Australia. It was pretty special to go for a ride with Grandpa in such a huge car when you were only eight or nine years old!  Thank you for sharing your techniques on this one.

Cheers

Alan

This has been quite a project, and it's coming out nicely.

It's also good to know a source for the Roto/Slim-Jim Hydra-Matic.

Sunfire is a pretty color. Nice to see it being used. I remember seeing a Grand Prix in it with the saddle interior, and it was a very nice-looking car.

Charlie Larkin