Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hostess or Little Debbie?

JollySipper

I gave up on Hostess after they came back with their short on flavor shrunken treats.

Their pies were almost empty! Very little filling in twinkies and their chocolate of the cupcakes and suzi q's  tastes cheap!

We only get Little Debbie  ones now and only a few things from her.

My wife loves he oatmeal cookie ones. I like the chocolate covered nutty bars.

Hey, when we went shopping on Monday the meat aisle was full, but Little Debbie was completely sold out!  I would love to have one every morning with my coffee!

Anf the constant commercials from Friday’s to order their ribs had me Jonesing for ribs now!  

1 hour ago, OldTrucker said:

I gave up on Hostess after they came back with their short on flavor shrunken treats.

That's true enough. I used to just love the apple pies, but the amount of guts in them has been reduced, and they taste different too. I do agree that Banana Flips were awesome, but I haven't seen one of those in years now. As to coconut, I also loves me some Almond Joy candy bars.

I agree,ever since Hostess folded a few years ago,and then came back,they have never been the same.But again my favorite still has got to be the Funny Bones.Imo,they actually taste pretty much the same.Now I want some.Ahhhh.Anybody ever eat a fried Twinkie?I heard they were pretty good like that.Or maybe a fried Funny Bone,hmmm that’s a thought..

Anyone out there like Entenmanns?

Edited by NYLIBUD

My favorite Entenmanns has to be the banana cream sponge cake,I guess you would call it that.Living on LI,I miss their headquarters plant that was located in Brentwood Suffolk county.They closed or moved several years ago,but I’m not sure where.Now after talking about them,I’ll have to Google it.But as far as cookies,I still love Chips Ahoy,and Stella Doro.The only problem with Stella Doro is the absolutely horrible packaging they have.In fact they get the gold medal for the worst product packaging in history..Now I just rip them open,and put them right into a zip lock bag,and seal them up.

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

My favorite Entenmanns has to be the banana cream sponge cake,I guess you would call it that.Living on LI,I miss their headquarters plant that was located in Brentwood Suffolk county.They closed or moved several years ago,but I’m not sure where.Now after talking about them,I’ll have to Google it.But as far as cookies,I still love Chips Ahoy,and Stella Doro.The only problem with Stella Doro is the absolutely horrible packaging they have.In fact they get the gold medal for the worst product packaging in history..Now I just rip them open,and put them right into a zip lock bag,and seal them up.

Used to occasionally have to drive past their factory up in Chicago years ago and the smell was fantastic!LOL

But they moved.

Vachon makes the poison of choice here in Canada. 

Remember the big "red velvet cupcake" fad a few years ago ?

We've had those forever.  Jos Louis  cakes are red velvet with vanilla cream covered in chocolate.

Jos Louis - Classiques - Pâtisseries - Accueil | Vachon

The Canadian version of a Twinkie ? ,,

VACHON® ½ Moon, Fluffy Vanilla Cakes | Walmart Canada

But Vachon does make and sell Twinkies here for a few years now , can't say as I've ever seen anyone eat one though.  

I like these best myself though.

Vachon Ah Caramel! Cake, 1 Count, 336g: Amazon.ca: Grocery

5 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Vachon makes the poison of choice here in Canada. 

Remember the big "red velvet cupcake" fad a few years ago ?

We've had those forever.  Jos Louis  cakes are red velvet with vanilla cream covered in chocolate.

All three look better than any of the stuff Little Debbie Or Hostess makes! ^_^

Steve

6 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

All three look better than any of the stuff Little Debbie Or Hostess makes! ^_^

Steve

Oh, that's just the tip of the iceberg my friend. Try a google image search for "Vachon snacks" 

Say what you will about Quebec and the French but they do know how to make stuff that's bad for you.  ?

2 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Oh, that's just the tip of the iceberg my friend. Try a google image search for "Vachon snacks" 

Say what you will about Quebec and the French but they do know how to make stuff that's bad for you.  ?

For the most part, in America, we just make things that are bad! :lol:

Steve

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

buying a box of those a week for work snacks

Still doing the exact thing Snake....every week.   I will try your Walmart brand one of these days....who couldn't use a bargin these days?

I buy the Little Debbie brand. They are usually less expensive and the quality was fairly good for what they are. Oatmeal pies were the usual purchase.

About 15 years ago Little Debbie would offer "Barbie" size dolls on the back of the box. I bought them 3 years in a row to give to my Daughter, when she was of the age, as one of her Christmas gifts. Neat stuff.

39 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Years and years ago, I worked for a while at Mrs Alison's, and ate so many fresh from the oven vanilla wafers, I eventually got sick of them. The jelly tops and oatmeal cookies were pretty awesome too.

Some years ago  I met a guy who'd worked at Hostess making Twinkies. I asked him how they handled the "shrinkage" (employee pilferage) problem. I'll never forget his answer: 

"They had a very strict policy: Eat all the Twinkies you want, any time you want. They found that almost everyone, by about lunchtime of their second day, had eaten all the Twinkies they ever wanted to eat for the rest of their lives." :lol:

7 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

"They had a very strict policy: Eat all the Twinkies you want, any time you want. They found that almost everyone, by about lunchtime of their second day, had eaten all the Twinkies they ever wanted to eat for the rest of their lives." :lol:

That goes for any food item. When I was young I worked in a sub/hoagie shop. I loved subs but soon enough got sick of them. I couldn’t get the smell of vinegar off my hands. My work t-shirts smelled that way fresh from the wash. I couldn’t even look at a sub for years after that !