Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hostess or Little Debbie?

JollySipper

41 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Some years ago  I met a guy who'd worked at Hostess making Twinkies. I asked him how they handled the "shrinkage" (employee pilferage) problem. I'll never forget his answer: 

"They had a very strict policy: Eat all the Twinkies you want, any time you want. They found that almost everyone, by about lunchtime of their second day, had eaten all the Twinkies they ever wanted to eat for the rest of their lives." :lol:

Well I eventually got over my aversion to the vanilla wafers, and still enjoy them to this day. Now jelly beans, that's a whole other story. Now when I even look at jelly beans, I get sick to my stomach. Back to Hostess, I always did, and still do love their cupcakes.

See's Gourmet Candy store here in California, have the same "shrinkage' Policy too. Girl I knew in high school, her mother worked there. Told us that she was so sick of chocolate, that the smell made her ill some days.  It was cool though, that my friend would bring in boxes of See's to school and share with us. Her mother would send them her so they would not stay in the house.

All this talk reminded me of my High School days (in the early '80s).  I would hang out at friend's house and he always had some Ring-Ding Jr's in his fridge and ice-cold milk. YUMMY!

Nowadays I don't eat many of those kid's junky sweets.  Occasionally I have some Funny Bones or Oreos. My palette has graduated to more adult treats like LU Pims, Digestive Biscuits.  Little Chocolatier, or any of the wide range of Pepperidge Farms cookies.  Captiva are one of my favorites.  I also indulge in European sweets, especially during the holidays. Bahlsen has some amazing gingerbread cookies.  Then of course are Girl Scout cookies too!  Thin Mints are the tops.

Sorry for going OT. ;)

31 minutes ago, peteski said:

Then of course are Girl Scout cookies too!  Thin Mints are the tops.

You can get a lot of the Girl Scout cookies as an off brand from Dollar General...... There's like 50 thin mints in the box...

I really like the samoas style cookies from DG, more in the box for less money!

8 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

You can get a lot of the Girl Scout cookies as an off brand from Dollar General...... There's like 50 thin mints in the box...

I really like the samoas style cookies from DG, more in the box for less money!

Hmmm . . .

I'll have to investigate that (but I really didn't want to know this - there goes my girlish figure . . . ). ;)

On 3/25/2020 at 9:30 PM, SfanGoch said:

Drake's fruit pies, Yodels, Devil Dogs, Ring Dings and Funny Bones. When I was a kid, we'd wash them down with Chocolate Cow. Forum members of a certain age who are/were NY'ers will remember this:

image.png.c5713bd063c0b3b9f3a2f9b7eadcf284.png

Since your a native New Yorker, I would have thought you'd  be a Bosco fan like George Costanza. You may stray, but you’ll always return to your dark master

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Nah, I liked Cocoa Marsh. :)

image.png.663927bef2bd4c3ead064c913b5fcb7f.png

That looks vaguely familiar. I seem to remember bottles of that stuff, with a white plastic cap with a finger pump on it, when I was very small. Was that a thing, or am I imagining it? 

18 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That looks vaguely familiar. I seem to remember bottles of that stuff, with a white plastic cap with a finger pump on it, when I was very small. Was that a thing, or am I imagining it? 

No, you weren't imagining it, Rich.

image.png.4adca278800402464a060b769da4f958.png

About the only Hostess items I go for anymore are the crumb cakes and apple pies; when we were kids we had most of the other Hostess stuff available (they had an outlet store over in Wheeling that was cheaper than the the grocery store) and I had my fill of cream filling pretty quickly - just too sweet.

And as for coconut: Uck-o, but it makes great pies to throw/get hit with.pie_in_the_face.gif.badf5f638707cf879753368926a8f37c.giftango_face_grin.png.7680fad75bd7d1a3091443e42ba8e82b.png 

I grew up in western Nebraska and we only had Dolly Madison.  It wasn't until I was in the Air Force that I discovered Hostess Hohos.  I got over those years ago though.  My wife is from Baltimore so we always have the Tasty Cakes in the house.  Mostly Chocolate Tandy Kakes. I like them when I go to Jersey Mikes for a cheese steak.  Yea I know'... poor substitute for a Gino's or Pat's but that is about as good as I can do on this side of the country. 

On 3/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, peteski said:

All this talk reminded me of my High School days (in the early '80s).  I would hang out at friend's house and he always had some Ring-Ding Jr's in his fridge and ice-cold milk. YUMMY!

Nowadays I don't eat many of those kid's junky sweets.  Occasionally I have some Funny Bones or Oreos. My palette has graduated to more adult treats like LU Pims, Digestive Biscuits.  Little Chocolatier, or any of the wide range of Pepperidge Farms cookies.  Captiva are one of my favorites.  I also indulge in European sweets, especially during the holidays. Bahlsen has some amazing gingerbread cookies.  Then of course are Girl Scout cookies too!  Thin Mints are the tops.

Sorry for going OT. ;)

Girl scout cookies will be the death of me. My niece has 2 or 3 girls selling them. Depending on the year. LOL I put Thin Mints  in the freezer.

My buddy next door is a bread guy so he see's the same delivery guys at the same stores all day.  When Hostess came back we found out fast they are not the same. They are flash frozen so they are no longer fresh. Less bakeries and we lost our outlet store down the road. 

Little Debbie snacks are in the fridge here most of the time. 

My favorite Hostess story is their naming of Ding Dongs that changes. Some times they are King Dons and some times they are Ding Dongs. LOL

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Some times they are King Dons and some times they are Ding Dongs. LOL

My late wife loved them, but she also called them "Hockey Puck's" Funny thing she always put them in the freezer as she liked them frozen??

On 3/25/2020 at 9:02 PM, Little Timmy said:

Anything is better than ,"Tastycake" !!!

They taste like chemicals.....  not associated with cake @

I use to go bonkers for the Dolly Madisen  "Razpberry Zinggers" now made by Hostess. But since the " re-organization "  their just not the same.

Little Debbie does make some good stuff. Their Zebra cakes are my favorite.

Tastycakes are to greasy, yuck 

On 3/25/2020 at 8:55 PM, peteski said:

Aren't both brands made by the same company nowadays?

No, they are not. Little Debbie snack cakes are made by the same family owned company that they always were made by. Hostess snack cakes are made by a giant corporation, but both brands taste good. In my area, Little Debbie costs much less, so that's what I buy. 

2 hours ago, John1955 said:

No, they are not. Little Debbie snack cakes are made by the same family owned company that they always were made by. Hostess snack cakes are made by a giant corporation, but both brands taste good. In my area, Little Debbie costs much less, so that's what I buy. 

I figured out where mu confusion came from by looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKee_Foods

McKee Foods Corporation is a privately held and family owned American snack food and granola manufacturer headquartered in Collegedale, Tennessee.[3] The corporation is the maker of the Little Debbie Snacks, Sunbelt Bakery granola and cereal, Heartland Brands, and Drake's Cakes.

Years ago I remembered seeing Drakes Cakes and Hostess products together (as if made by the same company)  further down in the Wikipedia entry I also found:

Drake's is a baking company in Wayne, New Jersey, United States. Originally an independent company, Hostess owned Drake's from 1998 to 2012; McKee Foods acquired the Drake's line when Hostess liquidated in bankruptcy in 2012. The Drake's brand distributes snack cakes such as Ring Dings, Yodels, Devil Dogs, Yankee Doodles, Sunny Doodles, Funny Bones, and coffee cake.

So at one  point Hostess and Drakes were the same company,  That is why I thought Hostess and McKee were under one umbrella.

Note that some items mentioned here (like Funny Bones or Ring Dings) are made by Drakes (under McKee control), not Hostess.  We haven't really mentioned Drakes by name until now.