Model Cars Magazine Forum

Expanded metal screen

Here’s a little trick I discovered for simulating expanded metal. This is the belt guard for the compressor in the “Joe’s Garage “ kit. I sprayed the aluminum first, then stretched a piece of fibreglass window screen diagonally and used it as a mask. Then I shot a lite coat of black on it.

88799357-2176-46C7-B2A7-DCD5AEC5985D.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

Another option is to spray it silver then a coat of Tamiya Acrylic X-18. After drying use a Q-tip dampened with ammonia to to remove the black from where you want it to be silver. Ammonia removes Tamiya Acrylics but does nothing to other paints.

Very cool! I've thought of doing something similar on clear decal stock to make "lace" panels. I think they'd look better than using full-scale lace, even the smallest size available. I've never seen any that didn't look FAR too large. 

Interestign and useful painting technique for simulating expanded metal mesh.  I have used this type of masking technique for other purposes, and I  know some use lace as masking material for pretty paint jobs.

But the title of this thread is confusing (at least to me).  Adding "mesh" or "screen" to it would have it made much clearer.  "Expanded metal" is a but nebulous.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

But the title of this thread is confusing (at least to me).  Adding "mesh" or "screen" to it would have it made much clearer.  "Expanded metal" is a but nebulous.

Sorry, I was a sheet metal worker by trade and assumed it was obvious. I clarified it.

That was the first attempt and I just pinned it down over the guard with thumbtacks. I think if a person was to make a frame, the actual screen could be glued in to make it even more realistic?

Edited by NOBLNG

• 2 months later...