Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hood detail form?

I need to put the hood beauty line shown in the 1:1 photo onto my Manx hood.  I plan to build it up using putty.  Which would be the better option? The Testors Contour putty, or Milliput?

I think the stuff in the tube would be easier to work with but it seems like it sands off too easily.  The Milliput might not stick directly to the plastic.  What do y’all think?

746498EA-ED01-4886-A603-9F049847DD73.jpeg

54704E7B-7333-44C1-86A2-7B52F6512B6F.jpeg

F9294EBD-237A-4DCA-B2A0-B7D17DC230DE.jpeg

A trick I learned when trying to replicate the half the door chipguard on 1:1 mazda was to tape it like you did an spray it with thick primer. In my situation I had to use low pressure to match the texture but don't under estimate the thickness of primer when you need raised detail like that. Trying to get that putty smooth an flat would be a nightmare that would likely take plenty of primer anyway.  I would recommend sheet plastic too but with the compound curves you might get into trouble an ruining the hood. If you build it up with primer an something goes wrong you just have to strip it to start over.

Thanks guys!  I am going to try the primer trick first, then try the styrene sheet idea if it doesn’t work.  I already cut the piece out, but as mentioned, the compound curves make that option a little more challenging.

000AD6F7-B73C-4602-B3F2-6F80D1E276C6.jpeg

Edited by b_erwin

5 minutes ago, peteski said:

Looks good, but I would be afraid that such a thick coat of  primer will crack (maybe even after few years).  My choice would have been to build up the area with some styrene sheet.

^ This,. Paint should never be used as a substitute for a solid material when building thickness.

No reason to hate on this method. Primer is used to build up a surface, that is what primer is. The thickness at these levels I would not be concerned about. I was a prepper in the automotive industry for 18 years an sprayed primer thicker than you probably should. But never seeing it crack. It will get issues when you spray to much to fast but that is true with spraying anything. People build models at different skill levels just because you don't agree with something it doesn't make them wrong. It looks to me like this method worked out great an will take less work to smooth the edges down over working styrene.

1 hour ago, ScottH454 said:

People build models at different skill levels just because you don't agree with something it doesn't make them wrong. It looks to me like this method worked out great an will take less work to smooth the edges down over working styrene.

That is the key.  Butch asked for opinions and techniques and I simply stated that I would not have used that technique, and also gave my reasons (based on my modeling experience and my level of knowledge).  I didn't state that using primer was wrong - just that I wouldn't have done it that way.  Butch asked for and received various opinions. That's what the forum is for, right?

The primer looks pretty good. Back to the Milliput idea...could it be rolled out with a rolling pin or dowel to the proper thickness, cut to shape and laid on the body so it conforms to the contours? Just spitballing, I have no experience with Milliput.

I appreciate all the suggestions.  Each method had its pros and cons.  In the end, I chose to use the primer build up because, as stated, primer is filler primer, and also, I could sand it off if it didn't work.  I did cut a piece of styrene in case I needed to try that,  but my concerns were a) the hood is compound curved, and b) I was concerned about the longevity of gluing such a large piece to a flat surface.  I think that it would separate and lift over time.  I don't believe that even as thick as the primer is, that it will have longevity issues.  I applied it in thin coats and gave each coat time to tack dry.

Rolling out the Milliput might work, but for such a thin piece I think it would be hard to keep it from breaking apart or tearing during the process.  

Again all the advice given to me so far has value, and I will have them stored in my trick bag for future projects.

Thanks again!!!  I can tell you how much I have learned since joining this forum!

I'm a little late to the game, but you could cut the large piece of styrene into smaller pieces. You could individually bend each piece to fit as necessary and glue it down for full contact. When you're done, it will look something like a mosaic, but it will be very solid. Whip out your favorite putty, sand it to the proper shape, and voila.

I'm a little leery of using only paint/filler to do major bodywork. I've had it crack/fail too many times. I much prefer to use the original material as much as possible.