Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Grand Prix Pontiac

Can-Con

Well,, since the custom Chrysler is almost done and the damaged bumper is off to the plater, a new project is in order.

Steve G thinks it's a good idea so I'm starting on mine also. 

Mine won't be as detailed as his. I'll be using the kit chassis plate and such but I hope it will still be interesting and fun.  

I'm thinking light sage green pearl with light beige and sage interior. Cragar S/S with narrow white walls dropped low. Maybe some Bellflower pipes?? 

IMG 2540

IMG 2541

On 3/27/2020 at 12:15 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I can't believe you're actually going to step on my toes!!..........:lol:

Better put on your steel toe boots Steve, 'cause construction season's begun. ?‍♂️

I'm using the Cragars from the Revell '67 Charger. Seemed a touch large. When I checked the diameter I found it to be 17 mm That would work out to be about a 16inch wheel. I'm OK with that.

Also started on the bodywork with filling the hole in the hood.

Drilled out the headlights and had the bumpers replated a couple months ago.

2v2HcJiFLx2A694.jpg

2v2HcJi5Gx2A694.jpg

When I got the car, the front fenders at the bumper were repaired but not finished. Also, there was a hole in the hood.
Picked away at that today.

2v2Hc8hPNx2A694.jpg

2v2Hc8hijx2A694.jpg

2v2Hc8hD8x2A694.jpg

2v2Hc8hTox2A694.jpg

Also started on tinting the glass. Doing the glass for my '65 Chrysler at the same time. Just sprayed the tint bands. More to come on this.

2v2Hc8hmzx2A694.jpg

The Cragars from the Revell wern't really doing it for me. Swapped them out for a set from the AMT '70 Impala. I like these better for this car.

2v2Hc8hhgx2A694.jpg

Sanded the first coat of putty on the repairs and shot a coat of primer on it. 
2v2HwkBR5x2A694.jpg

, , , Also shot the tint coat on a couple sets of glass. Tomorrow, I'll give it a very light wet sanding to remove any boogers it's picked up and apply a couple coats of Tamiya clear acrylic.

2v2HwkBYdx2A694.jpg

2 hours ago, Geno said:

This is looking incredible Steve, can you explain the windshield tint process if you don't mind, I'd like to give it a try? Thanks, Geno.

Thanks Geno.

There really isn't that much to the tint.I just first airbrush on the dark tint band using Tamiya royal blue acrylic, then give  the whole thing an overcoat of Tamiya clear with a bit of thier clear blue and green mixed in it then a couple more strait coats of Tamiya clear so I can polish it out when it's dry.  

Edited by Can-Con

28 minutes ago, bytownshaker said:

Hi Steve, as a fellow Canadian may I ask where you get your chrome replated.

I love your build and agree the AMT Cragars look much better.

Edgar

Hi Edgar,

I have my chrome redone by Dale Horner of "Little Motor Kar Co". 

Louis Bernier  of "Chrome +" in Quebec used to do it but he seems to have fallen off the earth a few years ago. Now there's no one I know of in Canada who does it.

Edited by Can-Con

• 2 weeks later...

So, the bodywork is done. There should be a small ridge down the raised section of the hood where I filled the hole but I don't think anyone will miss it when the car is done.

It's been sealed with BIN and has it's final coat of primer. I also foiled the lettering on the fenders and trunk lid. They'll be cleaned off before I shoot the color.

The headlights are also done. Used a couple drops of Tamiya smoke to bring out the details. 

The glass is cleared, polished and ready for installation. 

Hopeing to get it in paint by the end of the weekend.

IMG 2675

IMG 2676

IMG 2677