Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lamborghini Diablo GTR - Aoshima

Mixalz

Hi everyone,

Its been a very long time since I was on here. Bought and renovated a house. Finally have a dedicated work space and built a bench and cupboard too. With Covid19 hanging around I have some free time.

Here is my start on a great kit. Painted Mr Color Super Silver (C159) and then Mr Clear Color GX Clear Orange (Gx106) and then Mr Color Super Clear (Gx100). Sanded up to 3000grit then polished with Tamiya polishes and then Meguiars Carnauba Wax.

Happy with finish :)

kQj6Ag3.jpg

mSE9TxS.jpg

GzA5WYw.jpg

2x0TOoz.jpg

kmFm2DG.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Mixalz

12 minutes ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Very nice !   I’ve got one that I recently painted metallic black! Excited to see how you will tackle all the carbon parts. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like anyone makes carbon templates for the Aoshima Diablos.

Your one look great.

I struggled with figuring out camera settings to get the deep shine and metallic paint to show in mine. Looks like solid orange lol. The photos don't do it justice!

I've started the carbon. Will take some photos soon.

In hind sight I kind of wish I sanded some parts and ran real wires. It would look much nicer but I told myself I wanted a quicker build. 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:39 AM, DiscoRover007 said:

Very nice !   I’ve got one that I recently painted metallic black! Excited to see how you will tackle all the carbon parts. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like anyone makes carbon templates for the Aoshima Diablos.

Hi James,

If you could do me a MASSIVE favour I'd really appreciate it.

Could you please trace the exact (as well as you can) outline of the long piece of the spoiler (piece 116). If you trace the shape of the SIDE/FITTING face (where the little pins are; dont need to include the pins though) then I could transfer that shape to some CAD software and 3D print a new piece.

Thanks!     

Took some photos of the update of where I got to today. Engine/ some interior was built last year. 

Did the carbon on the front/sides/rear today then clear coated.  

Trial fit body - noted it will be easier to locate the body in the shell and then glue the front bumper last.

James, the carbon work is a PAIN on the front. Dont know about engine bay if its all carbon or not. If it is, I may cry.

bpT2QCY.jpg

ZjPqtlM.jpg

NShZUNN.jpg

gEgHpNZ.jpg

pN5vfLP.jpg

2sIV7o8.jpg

sCxKTXt.jpg

Thanks for looking!

The build is looking phenomenal. Have to say I’m almost regretting my color choice.  I will try to get that traced for you later tonight when I get off work.

Unfortunately the engine bay is pretty much all carbon. The interior is too. I was hoping I could use the mesh spray technique for the interior tub but of course it’s a twill weave pattern.

12 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

The build is looking phenomenal. Have to say I’m almost regretting my color choice.  I will try to get that traced for you later tonight when I get off work.

Unfortunately the engine bay is pretty much all carbon. The interior is too. I was hoping I could use the mesh spray technique for the interior tub but of course it’s a twill weave pattern.

Thanks for helping!

The engine carbon is not gonna be fun then. I'll try or go for black if I cant get it to work. 

The interior wasnt all carbon as far as I saw. I only did side steps and center console. 

Your colour is great man. 

12 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Looks awesome!  I love the engine colors.. what did you use?

Alclads for everything metal really. 

- Aluminium

- Polished aluminium

- Pale gold (I think)

Good to see another Aussie on here. This is looking like a great project. I was looking at the front end where the carbon decal was applied, I cant get my carbon to look like that around corners when I'm applying it to my F1 models, takes me forever. looking forward to seeing the finish project.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for looking.

Last couple of days I had some free time so I got cracking again.

Started the interior with dash. Carbon decal then light coat of clear followed by guages and then clear to seal it all in. Tried to simulate the alcantara with Mr Color paints: black + gray + flat base rough. Gave it a textured look. Steering wheels tended to be darker in photos to misted it with black to give the textured appearnce.

bF0zU3T.jpg

uDrnpmA.jpg

Interior had a bit of carbon work to get done.

OEBjlkX.jpg 

FaqbevY.jpg

Roll cage glued up.

mB2mC3v.jpg

Wheels painted.

T3fc5YW.jpg

Interior and engine bay in place.

9BbI0hi.jpg

UXQfNW6.jpg

ypiJycp.jpg

BiFOj4c.jpg

92utJi4.jpg

KM4VyJ6.jpg

g2XeU7g.jpg

Some shots of the extra work on the shell.

U5ksyyu.jpg

ClkOSUe.jpg

R43ljDH.jpg

YUcSmTF.jpg

vX4Iuof.jpg

As always thanks for looking!

Edited by Mixalz

Thanks for the kind comments. I've really enjoyed this build.

On 5/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, Funkychiken said:

Abolutely fantastic! did the CF come pre-cut, or are all these details your own additions to the kit?

The CF was applied the good old fashion way of masking tape to make my own templates. A few curses and breakdowns thrown in too. 

Car is ready now. Just missing the spoiler. I am going to try to 3D print something similar but no idea if it will work. Have even considered casting something but not sure about the process. Does anyone know how to do castings?

Cheers