Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sunbeam Tiger/C4 Corvette monstrosity

Gumball

Well it's corona time, and there is few cures to boredom. I got the Sunbeam thinking it was a complete kit, but on closer inspection it's missing some major parts. I got this great idea to "resto racecar" this Sunbeam, Corvette style. The idea is to fit the 94 Vette, engine, drivetrain, and suspension underneath the smaller 64 Tiger. Lately my ever expanding lunacy has given me some crazy ideas on some of my kits and this is one of them.

DSC_0601.JPG

DSC_0611.JPG

DSC_0603.JPG

8 hours ago, geemoney said:

Love the reverse cooled gen2 small block

Yeah the block was missing the intake, water pump, pulleys and timing cover so I have to make my own, in case your wondering why the front of the engine looks a bit weird. Hopefully the garret turbos I bought off ebay a while back can cover all that up. 

DSC_0618.JPG

45 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I like this project. The seats from the Gremlin kit would fit. They are pretty slim. I'm sure someone here would have a pair if needed.

That's not a bad idea, that is even if the Gremlin seats would fit lol!

9 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Or some bomber seats!  

Love projects like this - both in 1:1 and scale!  I’ll be following ??

Now that i actually do have, but its not an overly attractive seat mold. but it will definitely fit.

The original intirior won't fit no matter how you slice it, by the time I'm done there won't be any more space to put anything else in this thing! Made some wheels from some rear dragster rims and lowrider tires. The bomber seats are actually still to big, I'd use the original seats but there is only one, let's hope the gremlin seats fit.15855134360581979808117.thumb.jpg.6d1be069e2c747216ad6bdea41657dc5.jpg15855134710852010381025.thumb.jpg.0ffb9f8da4e826f3bce873213afbe1e5.jpg15855136984431041118721.thumb.jpg.56ec4dfbd61966f71513854c81a5d874.jpg

19 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Ya the one the right..probably make that out of pop can material... if you do make two

put the red Cobra seat in the the pass. position 

I actually think the bomber seats are two wide, the seat just lines up to the edge of the interior floor i made, only problem is the door panel will have to be glued on top of the floor making the seat two wide by whatever the thickness of the door panel is (approximately 3mm or 3/32") now I actually found the other Tiger seat, and both of them are slim enough. but i like the bomber seat idea better and i have two bomber seats, so im going to try and think of a way to use the bomber seats.

16 hours ago, Hotrod 97 said:

This is gonna be a tough little road rocket. Looks great so far - keep up the good work. If I may ask, what color is the body going to be?

I thinking about something that really pops. I just completed my 1/25th scale Datsun pickup that i painted the BRE colours. I'm thinking about either a blue or green, i want to do it a two tone, something you might see painted on a car going around a track, like something from a vintage trans am race. that way I could display both the Datsun and  the Tiger side by side. if you guys got any suggestions or race style designs that I could easily paint with spray cans and tape than i would be open to any interesting idea.

15 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I've contemplated doing something like this to a Tiger, been eyeballing kits at swap meets, but have so many future projects as it is, resisted.  You're having fun with this, more power to you!

Lol i'm having too much fun! Help! someone stop me!

4 hours ago, Gumball said:

I'm thinking about either a blue or green, i want to do it a two tone, something you might see painted on a car going around a track, like something from a vintage trans am race. if you guys got any suggestions or race style designs that I could easily paint with spray cans and tape than i would be open to any interesting idea.

That would be cool.

Just a little inspiration idea. This is one of the Alan Fraser Racing Team Tigers that ran back in ‘65 and ‘66.

22F16849-49E7-4FFE-8034-AD67A2E818FA.jpeg