Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sunbeam Tiger/C4 Corvette monstrosity

Gumball

48 minutes ago, Hotrod 97 said:

That would be cool.

Just a little inspiration idea. This is one of the Alan Fraser Racing Team Tigers that ran back in ‘65 and ‘66.

22F16849-49E7-4FFE-8034-AD67A2E818FA.jpeg

Yes i saw that one! it looks super cool! im Might take it a step further though, i saw this picture of a Triumph TR6 and i thought that it would fit the Tiger nicely.britishcarlinks.com - The most extensive British car links page on ...

I like the way the fenders in the picture of the Tiger are white and that the blue paint seems to go around the fenders, i'm more or less considering incorporating that aspect into the TR6 paint job, and put it on the Tiger

Edited by Gumball

1 hour ago, Gumball said:

Yes i saw that one! it looks super cool! im Might take it a step further though, i saw this picture of a Triumph TR6 and i thought that it would fit the Tiger nicely.britishcarlinks.com - The most extensive British car links page on ...

I like the way the fenders in the picture of the Tiger are white and that the blue paint seems to go around the fenders, i'm more or less considering incorporating that aspect into the TR6 paint job, and put it on the Tiger

That would look awesome! I think that’d look great beside the BRE Datsun.

Frame is primed, front bumper thing has been sanded. I'm going to need some heavy duty side fender flares or some side exhaust, I will have to look at it after I fix the height in the rear end. This thing looks super goofy and I love it!

15856198547751912279231.jpg

1585619872562832204884.jpg

Chassis is comming together and as you can see it is defenently the front and rear end of a C4 Corvette. I managed to shov the bomber seat in along with a larger roll cage. Needless to say I decided agenst re using the tiger doorpannels and to just keep it open NASCAR style. The engine sits lower then expected so I may be able to put the hood on although I will need to make an ungly hood scoop due to the intake pipes off the intercooler, still debating it though. 

1585750595237479732660.jpg

15857506116961805539626.jpg

15857506436661146190672.jpg

15857509094031176998584.jpg

1585750983290644210639.jpg

Also I happen to have some 1/24-1/25 scale braided fuel/coolant hoses I'm looking to use, but whatever is on the metal or what it's made of doesn't quite glue so well. As well I find it looks ugly without some nice fitting or something on the end. Iv contemplated using shrink tubing an end and painting it blue and red but or soldering an end and filling it. Perhaps someone can suggest a way I can go about it, I may be creative at times but I'm a little stumped on this one. 

The horrific sanding, jb welding, drilling, filing, liquid putty conture party is finally finished, and the first 3 coats of white has finally been applyed. I'd show a bunch of photos of me priming this thing, then sanding, then screwing up and putting and redoing it again, but I figure I'll save you all the hassle and just show where it's at now. 

1586198050776417250458.jpg

So I'm having a joy of a time trying to paint this thing, no matter what I do I screw it up somehow. I'm considering stripping the paint and redoing it minus the side scallops. Although it's hard to see in the pictures the taping job wasn't really good. On the flip side the blue turns out to be more of a green, and I kind of like the colour. 

15863606796461702493014.jpg

15863606944681843528894.jpg

Edited by Gumball

Just standard green painters tape, and some yellow Tamiya masking tape which is brand new and I think I'm going to start using it. I had some weird ultra fine Tamiya masking tape that worked wonders for me on the Datsun Pickup, But my workbench has turned into a where's Waldo tape edition and I think It phased out of existence. Do you have any preferences on tape? 

Edited by Gumball

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

These are the tapes I like to use . 

BA9FD95E-27E8-44A6-B407-84B187938CFE.jpeg

I'll take your word for it, the only Tamiya tape I have works quite well. Looks like I'll have to order myself in some. 

Edited by Gumball

Not my greatest work but it's almost complete, just a few more touches. The rear wheel allighnment turned out to be slightly out of wack, kinda weird though because if I press down on the back the wheels sit alot more centre. I think my problem lies within the warped body I tries to streighten before paint, and the heap load of paint I kept stripping and re applying. Whichever it is I'm not taking it back apart to fix it. So I guess I'll just have to put my selective perfectionism off to the side and just deal with how it is. 

15864446170121354170005.jpg

1586444702351671562663.jpg

158644513148866867230.jpg

Edited by Gumball

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I think it's pretty cool.

Thanks! Sometimes I can get a little too focused on all the little imperfections. Its super close to being finished, I have added the dashboard and soon ill be adding the remaining of the finishing touches. after that my plan is to put both the Datsun and the Tiger under glass!

Edited by Gumball