Model Cars Magazine Forum

'26 Model T Hot Rod

Ben269

Finished!  This was supposed to be an easy one, but I had some issues with decals and paint.   Re-did the paint on it, and while its no show winner, it was a fun build that looks great on the shelf.    Now I may try and pick up another and finish it like the John Buterra version.  we will see, lots of others still on the bench.  

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_9364.JPG

I painted the headlights with some thinned pearl white, to try for a more realistic appearance than the chrome.   it looks alright, but not great.   what suggestions do any of you have for better looking headlights?

Also, any tips for photographing dark painted vehicles?   Mine seem to always look like they are in the shade.

IMG_7321.JPG

16 hours ago, cobraman said:

Try an all white setting for your pics. No clutter and should help with the dark colors. Someone may have a better idea for you.

I like your 26! Nice build of that kit. I have one and parts of a couple of others, all waiting in the wings.

Get yourself a couple of sheets of white poster board. Lay one flat on the table and lay the second one flat also to where they just overlap about an inch or two and tape them together. Then curve the second one up and prop the back of it up so that you have one continuous wave. Now you have a quick makeshift photo booth to place your model on.

I have done this with taking photos and it works great. I have poster board in red and in white (because I got them for free) In the pic of the Corvette you can just see the curve of the paper on the left side. I try not to take the pics where you can see the edge. I also have white foam core board that I use. However, with this you are able to see a line on the horizon. I am definitely no master at photography but I've found these help.

Later-

IMG_20180507_073338071_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200309_121412329.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

I like your little T here. The paint finish looks great.  Does this body have the option of being a panel ? The reason I ask is the hinges and what looks like a door handle on the back. You mentioned what might be done for your headlights. I would suggest a clear over the headlight lens. I have used Future and Tamiya X-22 Clear with good results with either. 

On 3/28/2020 at 10:37 AM, espo said:

I like your little T here. The paint finish looks great.  Does this body have the option of being a panel ? The reason I ask is the hinges and what looks like a door handle on the back. You mentioned what might be done for your headlights. I would suggest a clear over the headlight lens. I have used Future and Tamiya X-22 Clear with good results with either. 

Thanks for the tip, I'll try using clear on the next chrome headlight car.   There weren't any other parts to make it a panel, but it looks like one could convert it pretty easily with styrene.   Not sure it Revell ever made one or not.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, cobraman said:

Try an all white setting for your pics. No clutter and should help with the dark colors. Someone may have a better idea for you.

I do. Just crop the pics. We just want to see the model. We don't care about the room it's in. B)

Nice model, BTW. I hear these things are fiddly but you wrestled it to the ground. Model on! B)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 10:37 AM, espo said:

I just saw this on the side of a box.  Looks like they made a Sedan Delivery at one point.    

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.27.30 AM.png