Model Cars Magazine Forum

Values for these screw bottom cars?

I bought this entire lot today but alot of it is stuff i don't mess with. I bought this stuff from a lady, it belonged to her father who recently passed away. She told me today she remembers him having some of these cars in the late 60s early 70s..im hoping some of you guys can help get me in the ballpark. any help is greatly appreciated.

62 johan olds

63 johan caddy

65 Chrysler imperial

68 rt charger

63 buick riviera

63 galaxie convertible

63 galaxie

65 lincoln continental ( promo car?)

60 and 61 corvettes

65 falcon promo car

64 thunderbird

im sure I've missed some.

Edited by Scott8950
remove photos

For the most part they look like dealer promos.  I'm certainly no expert on promos but I do know that some of them can get stupid expensive.  I would go on line and find someone who deals in "dealer promo cars"  or just "promo cars".  They are also for sale on ebay but that is probably not the right place.  Collectors want them in original condition and with the box if you have them.  A quick check shows that they can go into the hundreds of dollars.  A quick search for the 64 thunderbird shows prices from $70 to $135.  Research is king!

Edited by Pete J.

17 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

For the most part they look like dealer promos.  I'm certainly no expert on promos but I do know that some of them can get stupid expensive.  I would go on line and find someone who deals in "dealer promo cars"  or just "promo cars".  They are also for sale on ebay but that is probably not the right place.  Collectors want them in original condition and with the box if you have them.  A quick check shows that they can go into the hundreds of dollars.  A quick search for the 64 thunderbird shows prices from $70 to $135.  Research is king!

im gonna research for sure. We have some very knowledgeable folks on this forum and it's always good to get opinions.

You've got some real beauties there! The promos won't bring top dollar because they've been modified (much the same way I do them) but they're still worth a good chunk of change. In fact you've got more rare and semi-rare OOP cars here than "worthless" ones. 

If you're looking to swap any off, I'd be interested in the '68 Charger, the '64-'65 Falcon, and maybe the red Chrysler Imperial. B)

40 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

You've got some real beauties there! The promos won't bring top dollar because they've been modified (much the same way I do them) but they're still worth a good chunk of change. In fact you've got more rare and semi-rare OOP cars here than "worthless" ones. 

If you're looking to swap any off, I'd be interested in the '68 Charger, the '64-'65 Falcon, and maybe the red Chrysler Imperial. B)

Im gonna trade or sell  most all of them, i just gotta figure out a fair value for them.

Check to see if they have separate hoods, or any engine bay detail.

If they do, they are kits.

If not, they're promos.

That would be your first step in determining value.

These models, for the most part, are in relatively poor condition for a promo collector.

They're in very good condition for a modeler who wishes to restore them, especially if they are kits over promos.

I can tell from the photos that the black '63 Mercury, for instance, is a kit.

A good, undamaged, complete, built example of this kit can sell routinely on ebay for in the neighborhood of $75.00 or more.

Steve

13 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

These models, for the most part, are in relatively poor condition for a promo collector.

They're in very good condition for a modeler who wishes to restore them, especially if they are kits over promos.

Agree completely. 

The 68 charger and 65 falcon are probably the best of the bunch.

At least based on what i can see.

Falcon  somewhere in the $60 range

Charger can pull $75 range pretty easily.

Just as an example.

I just bought a 63 Mercury hardtop. Maybe 4 months ago. Never painted $60 delivered . 

Edited by gtx6970

15 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

The 68bcharger and 65 falcon are probably the best of the bunch.

At least based on what i can see.

Falcon  somewhere in the $60 range

Charger can pull $75 range pretty easily.

Just as an example.

I just bought a 63 Mercury hardtop. Maybe 4 months ago. Never painted $60 delivered . 

The Falcon was the first one that caught my eye ?

The yellow 63 Olds Starfire probably $35-$40

62 Plymouth Fury convertible $15-20 maybe - looks like a broken window frame  

63? Buick Riviera $30-40

I’ve been looking at a few so happen to see what stuff on eBay was going for  

Looks like the 65 Imperial is pretty good shape - should be like $50-75?

Edited by Erik Smith

32 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Oh yeah. That’s cool. That wasn’t in the USA Oldies releases was it? 

No, it wasn't, plus the USA Oldies issue has an incorrect interior - dashboard is '63 and the rest is '64 promo. So yours is more desirable to builders.

Also desirable is the '65 Continental - the convertible has been reissued many times, but the sedan was one-and-done.  You'll need a hood ornament, but fair warning - those always get bid up high on eBay.

Edited by ChrisBcritter