Model Cars Magazine Forum

Academy Hyundai Santa Fe

randyc

So here it is for the 3 or less people that might be interested.  Lol.  The interior is done.  Detail paint on other parts.  I sanded the ribs of the roof and scribed in lines for the moon roof.  This will be as close as possible to my wife's 2020 limited.  Model represents a 2019, from the interior pattern.  Ours is blue with the espresso interior.  Which in cheapskate terms means Testors Arctic blue with two toned Testors rubber.  And rubber mixed with white.  

IMG_20200328_125859966.jpg

IMG_20200328_122226428.jpg

IMG_20200328_121524593.jpg

IMG_20200328_123812921.jpg

IMG_20200328_125854322.jpg

Looks like a good kit.  How are the panel lines?  I built their Hyundai Azera and the panel lines were almost non-existent.  My wife owns a 2016 Sport (I-4, FWD), it is her second one the first was a  2003 V-6 AWD.  Would like to find one of these.

16 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Looks like a good kit.  How are the panel lines?  I built their Hyundai Azera and the panel lines were almost non-existent.  My wife owns a 2016 Sport (I-4, FWD), it is her second one the first was a  2003 V-6 AWD.  Would like to find one of these.

Panel lines are great in my opinion.  That said, I did run over then a couple times.  I almost always do.  Hope to get paint on today or tomorrow.  I'm very impatient so it may be today if possible. 

19 minutes ago, Lizard Racing said:

Add my name to those interested (number 3?).  Haven't started my kit yet.  I'm going to photograph the interior and exterior details for accuracy.  I'm still looking for the right shade of red for the exterior.

2019 Limited.

Your work looks good. 

What interior color?  I have a bunch of ours, if it's the espresso version.  

Just mocked up.  It's too light, but will be ok inside.  For me anyway.  Needs to dry for several days now. I did my wheels to resemble color of the ones on the 1:1 in the driveway.  The body will fit better when completed15855144948327270067021527974075.jpg.6ae3ac96c1d3cb103303b049e22f35f8.jpg

15855145413572159339867976427225.jpg

4 hours ago, peteski said:

While it  is unlikely I'll buy one of these, I'm interested in it and in your build, and I'm glad that the model of this type of vehicle was produced by a model company

If we didn't own one, I would likely pass this one by myself.  But it's fun to replicate the car in the driveway.  

Just a quick update.  The Santa Fe is complete.   It is curing and as soon as I can add a little pooish to clean it up, it will be under glass.   Came out pretty nice.  I have things that bug me, but might not bother others.  And a few things that I really like in the way they tooled the kit.  

44 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

I had issues fitting the body to the chassis.  Ended up grinding the fron mounting tabs and massaging the rear slightly for fit.

Yep.  And that didn't really come up til I tried to fit it all together.   The interior and windows may have the interference?  Mine still have a tiny gap but have to see from just the right angle.  Hopefully anyone building will read this and be ready to deal with it.   I did put a strip of plastic on the back of the lower doors on the chassis and a little CA on that.  Then when I put the body on, I held it all in place as tight as I could to keep the gap minimal.  

It's nowhere near as bad as the photos above.   The body was just put in place to show color.  

On 4/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, crazyjim said:

I had issues fitting the body to the chassis.  Ended up grinding the fron mounting tabs and massaging the rear slightly for fit.

Planning on getting one of these for something a little different. Thanks for the warning, Jim.

Looks good, Randy.

Charlie Larkin

Looking good, I was looking to get one of these myself, something you don't see on the model tables, but the parking lots are full of them (or similar SUVs) Might as well build one, looks like a nice kit anyway. So am I "interested person number 4"?