Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Auto Transmission

The Pontiac kits all have manual transmissions.  The Buicks used Dynaflow which was entirely different from the Roto-Hydramatic (Slim Jim) that Pontiac used.  Chevrolet used Powerglide, different again.  

The Jo-Han Olds unit is the best/closest available.  Their Cadillac piece is pretty similar as I remember.

The automatic transmission used in the Pontiac Tempest line including the GTO for '64 - '67 was a 2 speed version of the Turbine 300 that was used in the Buick and Oldsmobile models of the same era. From the outside they look very much like a GM Turbo 350 Automatic. 

From Wikipedia -GM Roto Hydramatic transmission

"The Roto Hydramatic was used in all full-sized Oldsmobile models including the Dynamic 88, Super 88, Ninety-Eight and Starfire from 1961-1964 as well as the compact Oldsmobile F-85 from 1961-1963. Pontiac used the Roto Hydramatic from 1961-1964 on its shorter-wheelbase full-sized cars including the Catalina, Ventura and Grand Prix, but continued with the older four-speed Super Hydramatic design in the longer-wheelbase Star Chief and Bonneville models."

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Great info guys.

But what I'm hearing so far is that I'm basically SOL! :mellow:

Not necessarily. The Johan Olds mentioned is supposed to have a "Slim Jim" Roto Hydramatic. I'll need to pull the kit and look, because "supposed to" doesn't always mean "does in fact".

OLDS PONTIAC SLIM JIM ROTO HYDRAMATIC TRANSMISSION 1960's IN SAN DIEGO

The bigger Super Hydramatic (Star Chief and Bonneville) isn't in anything, far as I know...but you could build a passable example by modifying one of the earlier Hydramatics available in parts-packs.

1962 Pontiac Transmission

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I don't know why I got off on the Tempest and the  whole Turbine 300 thing. The information supplied by others would be correct if you should be building a full size Pontiac. 

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Been looking through all of my Pontiac kits and they're all 4 speeds.

Anybody know what kits would have a Pontiac automatic transmission, or anywhere that I could find one?

Thanks!

Steve

9 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

By the way, this is for my '64 Pontiac Grand Prix project folks, if that makes any difference.

Yeah, the GP supposedly used the "Slim Jim".

Neither of those Johan gearboxes are really right, but either would be probably as close as you're going to get.

The correct gearbox case bolts together in 3 pieces, like zo. Neither of your doners represent this correctly. So whichever one you think looks best, well, there you go.

A somewhat more accurate appearance might be obtainable by mating a manual gearbox bellhousing to whichever one you choose.

Picture 4 of 5

Edited by Ace-Garageguy