Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Auto Transmission

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Picture 4 of 5

Threads like this are interesting - searching down parts and such. 
So, Bill, this photo is the real deal, I assume? Online searches offer way too many errors and direction changes to know exactly what’s what. 
Also, is the starter on the drivers side? Is that the little bulge on the lower bellhousing? Or does that change based on engine/bellhousing? 
I am curious because I have a 63 Bonneville and would be interested in making some of these changes.
It’ll be great to see where Steve goes with his.

Thanks! 

44 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I believe you could work your scratchbuilding and modification magic and make that one fit the bill.

I'm anal, but not that anal! :D

If I use it, I probably won't make a whole lot of changes to it.

I usually don't spend exorbitant amounts of time on the underside of my projects anyway.

Steve 

49 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Threads like this are interesting - searching down parts and such. 
So, Bill, this photo is the real deal, I assume? Online searches offer way too many errors and direction changes to know exactly what’s what. 
Also, is the starter on the drivers side? Is that the little bulge on the lower bellhousing? Or does that change based on engine/bellhousing? 
I am curious because I have a 63 Bonneville and would be interested in making some of these changes.
It’ll be great to see where Steve goes with his.

The trans photo you asked about is a Slim Jim Roto Hydramatic trans for a '64 short-wheelbase big Pontiac, as I explained above.

The Bonneville would use the bigger Super Hydramatic, as I also explained above.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks for that tip Jack.

Still not exactly correct, but it might be my only real option.

I will give that consideration! ;)

The gearbox in the '59 ElCamino is the big Hydramatic. 

I believe you said you're building a Grand Prix..."By the way, this is for my '64 Pontiac Grand Prix project folks, if that makes any difference."

If so, the gearbox you want is the Slim Jim Roto Hydramatic.

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That would be after market.

I'm shooting for as close to factory stock as possible.

The B&M Hydro used the GM case, so appears pretty well stock from the exterior; the B&M magic was internal, so this should be a viable option for your purpose.

4 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

The B&M Hydro used the GM case, so appears pretty well stock from the exterior; the B&M magic was internal, so this should be a viable option for your purpose.

No, actually.

1) His build of a Grand Prix requires a Slim Jim RotoHydramatic, not the big Hydramatic.

2) The B&M conversions most typically used the earlier Hydramatic cases with removable side covers, as are in all the kits featuring them.

The Super Hydramatic, which would be correct for a Bonneville or Star Chief, has an entirely different case with no removable side cover.

5 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

So they did! I had in my head ( a bad place to store anything) that the removable side cover was an indicator of the smaller Hydra. Backasswards again!

Hey man...there's an awful lot of gearboxes out there, and lotsa different flavors of the Hydramatics. Kinda impossible to remember all of it every time.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

41 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Hey man...there's an awful lot of gearboxes out there, and lotsa different flavors of the Hydramatics. Kinda impossible to remember all of it every time.  :D

Thanks for the clarification on the transmissions, Bill. I appreciate the knowledge.

Not having grown up or worked around these cars I get confused. 

Edited by Erik Smith

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The gearbox in the '59 ElCamino is the big Hydramatic. 

I believe you said you're building a Grand Prix..."By the way, this is for my '64 Pontiac Grand Prix project folks, if that makes any difference."

If so, the gearbox you want is the Slim Jim Roto Hydramatic.

I understand that Bill, but it appears that I'm a little short on Slim Jim transmissions at the moment! :P

It seems that the only option is to either use the one from the Johan Olds, (which apparently is not correct either) or to use something else that is incorrect.

Unless someone knows of a resin caster who happens to make them, I'm kind of stuck.

I don't have any interest in spending hours fabricating a transmission. ^_^

Steve

42 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don't have any interest in spending hours fabricating a transmission. ^_^

In looking at the Pontiac 421 parts pack I have....appears to be a very good represention of the bell housing & beside " us ".... in the build progress " who " is ever gonna see the top 1/3 of the transmission....as a bit encouragement to the best scratch builder I know! My friend...you would only have to fabricate the bottom side accurately. .....definitely seen you conquer larger challenges IMHO

0329202058.jpg

Steve, I'm planning to someday build a replica of my first car, a 1962 Pontiac Catalina convertible.  I thought I'd use the parts pack bellhousing with the cadillac transmission shown above to do my Slim Jim.  The shape is close enough for me.  You might give that a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I understand that Bill, but it appears that I'm a little short on Slim Jim transmissions at the moment! :P

It seems that the only option is to either use the one from the Johan Olds, (which apparently is not correct either) or to use something else that is incorrect.

I think I have a solution:  All AMT '61 through '64 Bonneville and '64 Grand Prix coaster promos have this transmission molded into the engine insert;  it's a Roto Hydramatic for sure:

1257579357_64catalinatransmission.jpg.fe59136e26d260a6d3d73d42cbbb4f9f.jpg

I think one of these cut up (or molded/cast), combined with the '64 Caddy trans and the Revell parts pack bellhousing, would yield a reasonably accurate Slim Jim. Now to find a junker non-friction promo...

Edited by ChrisBcritter