Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Ferrari GTO

Funkychiken

This is a strange looking car, the front end is completely out of proportion for the real build.

I started it about 6 years ago - in fact at a car Model Forum I think was called Mikes Model Cars, I can't remember!

But it was a cheap purchase, cost me a lady, and it was the first kit I started to use teh AB on.

cutting a long story short, I messed the body paint up & ended up having to buy a 2nd kit just to finish it! But finish it I did, not the best looking model, but I learned so much building it.

The rear looks better than the front, so that's how it's going to sit on the shelf!

Comments welcome, and it's Number 2 for finishing this year! already beating last years build count...

DSCF0034.JPG

DSCF0033.JPG

IMG_6824.JPG

DSCF0035.JPG

DSCF0036.JPG

DSCF0039.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG

IMG_6820-1.JPG

On 3/30/2020 at 2:17 AM, Bantoft said:

That's a nice build of an old kit Atin.

Dave B

On 3/30/2020 at 11:46 AM, DonW said:

Really great result given the front end issues you mentioned - maybe Monogram had hired an ex-Palmer designer who got to do that part!

On 3/30/2020 at 12:02 PM, landman said:

?

thanks guys, appreciate the comments!

On 3/30/2020 at 6:46 AM, DonW said:

Really great result given the front end issues you mentioned - maybe Monogram had hired an ex-Palmer designer who got to do that part!

I think the history of this kit is that it was originally going to be a 250 SWB Berlinetta before Aurora originally released it and they bodged the front and rear end to sort of represent a GTO when that car made its debut. It's definitely an odd duck! It's rare to see one of these built, much less given the love that you have lavished on this example. Great work!

You are a brave man Sir but did well with what you had to work with.  The best part of the original Aurora kit was the box art in my opinion.  I built it back in the day and was impressed with the what they were trying to do with the opening doors. trunk, and the detailed engine and chassis but it just did no work out for them.  I was surprised when Monogram picked it up.

s-l1600.jpg.2895efd2371a93a0c402a7da2aaf65a3.jpg

eBay photo