Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pacific NW BB/FC's 4 car set

A set of four touring BB/FC's out of Alberta that ran in the mid 70's in Alberta, Sask., B.C., Washington and Montana.

1/25 Competition Resins Vega Panel body with a late model nose grafted on, 3D printed BBC blown Alcohol engine, scratch built tin work, modified Soapy Sales chassis and Custom made decals.  Mock upstage to make sure everything fits before starting the rising sun graphics.  I just starting to print my own decals so the process is going very slowly.  The name on the original car was Banzai

IMG_4410.JPG

'sIt seems I got a little ahead of myself on this one.  First I should show a little perspective of what this project is all about  These are the four cars I want to replicate.  The Pony Express is the car I was associated and was actually the Titanium Pinto when it was a AA/FC.  Unfortunately the titanium chassis was so badly stressed cracked we had to replace it with an almost identical 4130 copy that was set up for our tall deck 512 cu in BBC.   I have also Included a photo of the first model in the series, my first attempt at printing my own decals and BTW that's me beside the car 37 years ago. The colors on the model are closer than the picture of the rear car shows the lighter panels were quite blue as per the modelIMG_4412.thumb.JPG.edd459a48d2060cabacf61faabe63655.JPGIMG_4412.thumb.JPG.edd459a48d2060cabacf61faabe63655.JPG

13433366_10153500681861216_876714156826100558_o.jpg

28055935_1559206380782514_849627617332356629_n.jpg

ex-MT-Pinto-Edmon.jpg

ppx8 copy.jpg

Edited by Ian McLaren
dumb fingers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Edging ever closer to completion  rear window mural test, chassis close to finished, have to fit the windshield now, decals progressing rear window acceptable, tail light are now ready, and internal tin just about ready for paintIMG_1722.JPG.bc12ef168aea3c2abb36e61355473642.JPGIMG_1724.JPG.11630770d18aff91020e10f6dab84035.JPGIMG_1698.JPG.6f315a33583fe53b92637777d3c1b7f4.JPG

I like this project about lesser known cars and a personal connection.  I have a question though based on your experience.  What type of finish did the underside of the funny car bodies have?  Was it raw fiberglass with the exterior colors showing through or painted black.  I haven't found any photos that really show this.  Thanks and keep u the good progress.

3 hours ago, kermn8r said:

I like this project about lesser known cars and a personal connection.  I have a question though based on your experience.  What type of finish did the underside of the funny car bodies have?  Was it raw fiberglass with the exterior colors showing through or painted black.  I haven't found any photos that really show this.  Thanks and keep u the good progress.

Back in the  60 &70s most bodies were fiberglass and heavy due to the fact the bodies were pretty much made like boat hulls, glass mat or chopped glass sprayed into the mold.  Cloth weave bodies were still a way off.  Generally but not always they were rough textured inside and sprayed a dark flat color, grey or black mostly, at least in the lower classes  A/FC and  BB/FC   Higher dollar teams had more money to spend on the interiors of the bodies for weight reduction and esthetics  but the dark colors were still most prevalent 

Edited by Ian McLaren

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Beautiful work and an interesting and well thought out combo.
I greatly admire your ability to concentrate. Keeping focused on a goal for 18 months is waaay beyond my attention span anymore  unfortunately.....18 days is probably a lot closer. ?      Congratulations 

• 2 months later...

Can't believe I didn't include pictures of the fourth car of the set  Doug Moody's  Rentex Cuda BB/FC !    I'll fix that right now!  Due to a computer crash I have none of the build photos for the model and the injector has been upgraded with a comp resins unit since these were taken

IMG_6407 (1).JPG

IMG_6408 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6409.JPG

IMG_6410.JPG

IMG_6411.JPG

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6413.JPG