Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 GTO Pro Street - Self Isolation build

carl63_99

2 hours ago, carl63_99 said:

Not the Teal that I wanted, as I couldn't get the blue and yellow I wanted to mix. But I found a blue metallic and pearl orange, mixed them and got this. It'll work!

20200329_163047.jpg

20200329_163057.jpg

Holy smokes- that turned out beautifully.

I applaud your take and ideas on improving this steaming hunk of garbage. Now I see 67 GTO becomes a totally different kit when you dump the janky frame, motor and interior and swap it out with anything else.

Is that the AMT 67 Pro Street Chevelle frame you used? It looks different to the Revell 67, but then I remembered the AMT kit had inner fenders in the frame compared to the Revell with them in the engine compartment.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

The Chevelle kit is the AMT one, box shows in pic #1. The two go together pretty nice. I had to add a bit to the rear of the chassis to match up with the GTO body. The huge tabs in the back of the GTO body make for perfect alignment of the chassis.  A builder could cut down the firewall to get the body over the chassis better, but for now I'm leaving it alone as it gives the hood something to rest on.

An example of the work in progress. I like to Bare Metal Foil emblems after primer. Check the first pic of the driver's side and see chrome on the "GTO" emblem. Then, when I polish the paint off, they really pop. It's taking longer and more work than usual to get this paint smooth. Probably a couple more days of work on the paint.

GTO Logo.jpg

So we all know what a POS the original kit is.  Case in point, chrome. I stripped the grill of chrome, cut off the back and replaced with railroad modeling screen (one of my FAV mods). I cut the "GTO" script off the extra grill inserts from the kit, BMF'ed it added black wash, and superglued it on.  I'm currently thinking I'm not going to put the turn signals back on, looks cleaner.

For these old kits that have ugly chrome passing for headlights, I take a drill bit and grind them back to buckets. some polishing before paint and new clear lenses make them look very real.

Alclad II did the rechroming duties.

GTO Grill.jpg

On 3/30/2020 at 12:08 AM, RichCostello said:

I had the same idea, I just need to get the GTO, I'm waiting for HL to put it on clearance. 

Looks like it's fitting together pretty good. Any problems?

I think the color looks great too!

Rich,  as I am ditching everything but the body, trim and window piece, I'd have to say THESE parts fit good. The original engine, chassis and interior; not even saving them.

16 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

How did you resolve the dash/ interior panel fit issue( for those who don't know, the GTO dash is a bit too narrow for the Chevelle interior pieces and the Malibu dash is a different shape at the cowl)?

A technique I use for projects with substitute dashes is to build a tab to mount the dash under the area in front of the windshield.  As shown, this allows me to mount the dash tight against the inside of the windshield and adjust for a proper fit.

60 Vette Dash.jpg