Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'll put this here as it really isn't a big rig.  This build is a GMC Mason Dump, typical of the small dump trucks used by masons (duh!), landscapers and contractors.  I chose an older GMC, a Revell short bed pickup truck kit with a plow.  I'll use the plow on this build.  The dump body is from Scenes Unlimited, as are the wheels and tires.  The resin cast dump body is one of the best castings I've seen, almost no flash and parts fit together like a glove.  No tweaking needed.  Wheels and tires are larger than the stock pickup kit and the back features duallies.  The pick up chassis needed to get longer so everything back of the cab was removed and a straight c channel frame built from scratch.  Rear axle from the kit needed to be narrowed to accomodate the dualies.  Exhaust pipes dump in front of the rears as most of them do.  I still need to figure out a fuel tank, the molded on saddle tanks were the first to go.

P1020991.jpg

P1020993.jpg

Edited by Warren D

11 hours ago, Warren D said:

I'll put this here as it really isn't a big rig.  This build is a GMC Mason Dump, typical of the small dump trucks used by masons (duh!), landscapers and contractors.  I chose an older GMC, a Revell short bed pickup truck kit with a plow.  I'll use the plow on this build.  The dump body is from Scenes Unlimited, as are the wheels and tires.  The resin cast dump body is one of the best castings I've seen, almost no flash and parts fit together like a glove.  No tweaking needed.  Wheels and tires are larger than the stock pickup kit and the back features duallies.  The pick up chassis needed to get longer so everything back of the cab was removed and a straight c channel frame built from scratch.  Rear axle from the kit needed to be narrowed to accomodate the dualies.  Exhaust pipes dump in front of the rears as most of them do.  I still need to figure out a fuel tank, the molded on saddle tanks were the first to go.

P1020991.jpg

P1020993.jpg

I was also impressed about the quality of the dump body. the only thing that I don't like ist hat it is missing the hydraulics.

I should note that the pickup is a Revell 1/24 scale while the dump body is 1/25 scale.  I often encounter difficulties when mixing scaless, such as the Mack B815 logger build where the trruck was 1/25 and the KFS front drive axle was 1/24 and had to be narrowed quite a bit to get it to fit.  In this case, if the dump body is a little small that's ok as the look is what I am after.

Paint is on, will have to try a different camera/lighting, can't get the reds right.  Chassis is almost complete, used the fuel tank from the Lindberg Dodge, cut the other one down for a hydro tank on the right side.  Need mudflaps and some bits.  Grille is almost done, then on the cab and cab to chassis.  Mirrors and the plow and I think it's done.  Tires and wheels from Scenes Unlimited.

P1020995.jpg

P1020996.jpg