Model Cars Magazine Forum

Virtual Shop Tours, Lets See Yours (just like on the HAMB)

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Uh, yeah........No!

My shop looks similar to that for about 8 minutes in between projects.

After that it looks like this for about 5 or 6 months!

Steve

Me too. I could use an 8' x 16' space, and my clear working area would be about 6" square, if that.

Some of you make me sick! ?  How does the saying go, a clean desk is a sign of....... oh I better quit while I'm ahead. ?  Not doing video, would show the paper tiger monster in my office.  My wood shop is really bad, but I know where everything is, and just need to move a couple of .... a bunch of things to use the big tools.

Here is a good day, decluttered before resuming on my current project.  I can make space to the left for the laptop.  Just made the wood with drilled holes for the files and scrapers, because I was annoying myself with the pile of tools that builds up.  I recently improved my paint booth, installed shelving for the paint bottles, thought I had extra space but am maxed out, so need to make more shelves.

IMG_1966_Fotor.jpg

desk.jpg.a671fa1dae20fc23bf9ad4279ef1f820.jpg

There are some really impressive facilities shown already! I am intimidated at some of the tool displays shown.  I especially like the pegboard storage of the Evergreen plastic. I just have the collection of paper towel cores shown at lower left.  My area also is almost between projects, so it's cleaner than usual.

I would show mine, but I think everyone reading this knows what a kitchen table looks like lol

My wife and I downsized our life about 6 years ago. I was on a model building hiatus and it never occurred to me that I would eventually need another work area. Tiny house, not much room.

803FFF71-2E5B-404D-B485-0F8B599653CA.jpeg.bca4b69c639cc980f54698c45e020f52.jpeg

My work bench right now. It is built upon a hollow core door wrapped in brown shipping paper.

My work surfaces are an old pink and yellow board that has holes drilled in it to allow things to sit flat. I can also drill into it as needed. On top of that is a thick piece of glass that started life as the top of a Xerox machine. That helps when I need a flat hard surface, and I will clean it if paint and glue with a single edge razor blade.

i like light so I have five lights all on one switch. At the back of the bench, left corner is a small plastic drawer unit I keep my 1x1 sand paper squares by grit. Each drawer has a center divider to hold two types. The right back corner has two 50 drawer units where I keep small items. 

The shelves over the bench hold unfinished projects so they don’t get tucked away and forgotten. 

I love a good workbench thread!  My workspace is small but works out ok.  I did tidy it all up yesterday like I do every Monday, but it’s Tuesday afternoon so...

2579729B-4D9D-43CA-A8D1-DAD8BDEB2447.thumb.jpeg.0bf078b8c00e14b11f543f3c57f3a755.jpeg

From left to right , set of drawers for scratchbuilding supplies and stuff like that - styrene sheet, rod, metal sheet, roundbar, masking tape, etc etc.  Next to that, the 100 year old New York Apartment built-in drying rack.  Under the desk is a set of drawers with paint and glue in, and then the desk itself with the mandated 6 inches square of work area.  Under the desk, airbrush compressor.  And then: further right...

E329C18E-ABD1-49F2-AD15-668B02204BAA.thumb.jpeg.6db07ff47ae36d332b174eb938736664.jpeg

...a rack for my vinyl cutter, a couple of magazine racks full of whatever nonsense doesn’t fit anywhere else too well, some storage boxes with photoetch, resin parts, plastic parts and showrod parts (best to keep those out of general circulation I find) and under that is the most commonly used rattle cans.  I was just digging through those this morning or it would be a little neater, honest.  Oh, and behind those USPS boxes is my little photo booth and a scanner that I use for model stuff.  Small, but it works ok here in the land of expensive rent!  I dream of the day we’ve got some more space here though...

Something happened while I uploaded that video to you tube so I apologize for the low quality.

Yes I'm a neat freak, video was made after I tidied up a bit. 

Dust is a real problem here so I don't leave a lot of things like paint bottles, infrequetly used tools or other started models

out in the open.

In fact the problem is so bad in this house I have not been able to use my air brush booth since moving in.

Thanx for participating, anyone else game? 

Aaaah...No!

Way too much "adult art" work displayed (not acceptable for younger forum members) in my area.   Removal for pics is out of the question!    ...significant other wouldn't allow it being put back up!   Sorry ... not happening!

I converted a closet, yes a closet into my work space. No need for a video you can see the whole thing in 1-photo!!  Got tired of arguing about why I couldn't use this room or that room.  

DSCN0806.JPGDSCN0809.JPGDSCN0807.JPGDSCN0808.JPG

Edited by afx

11 minutes ago, Khils said:

Aaaah...No!

Way too much "adult art" work displayed (not acceptable for younger forum members) in my area.   Removal for pics is out of the question!   

We all need our certain type of inspiration. I take it those are not pin up art by the likes of Elvgren or Vargas.

That reminds me, Ive got some framed and in storage with room on my walls.

5 minutes ago, afx said:

I converted a closet, yes a closet into my work space. No need for a video you can see the whole thing in 1-photo!!  Got tired of arguing about why I couldn't use this room or that room. 

JC, that looks like the contents of an entire hobby store you've got in there. I spy a Barracuda?

Just now, afx said:

I converted a closet, yes a closet into my work space. No need for a video you can see the whole thing in 1-photo!!  Got tired of arguing about why I couldn't use this room or that room.  DSCN0808.JPG

Reminds me of my Cave! I like how you have the bagged kits on the wall. Just might have to steal that idea! ?

There are some here that have some interesting machine equipment, lathes mills etc.

others with collections/collectables. I'd be interested how you have your shop set up.

I sometimes have other odd projects going on like a recent mid century lamp restoration 

so a little OT or better, some 1-1 car stuff might be allowed by moderators.

(My mini mill is boxed up in a closet for lac of room in my tiny space.)

5 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

JC, that looks like the contents of an entire hobby store you've got in there. I spy a Barracuda?

I tend to over indulge just a little. 

Its a '65 Barracuda glue bomb that I was restoring at the time for a potential future project.  It's too rough for replica stock but certainly good enough for a race car.

As far as tools only a Dremel and and air brush/air compressor, everything else I do by hand.

Edited by afx

16 hours ago, afx said:

DSCN0808.JPG

Ah, a modeler after my own love,  wooden clothes pins.