Model Cars Magazine Forum

Virtual Shop Tours, Lets See Yours (just like on the HAMB)

Okay, you guys embarrassed me with your neatnik work spaces so I spent the day making storage for my paint and various doo-dads.

Just as well, I'm waiting on supplies to build structures for my diorama and watching paint dry on my scratch-built combines, also for the diorama.

Considered checking to see if the little 5&10 a couple of villages over is open and grabbing the 51 Chevy pickup kit that's been on his shelf for a while.  Haven't built a 1/25th model kit in dog's years.  1984, when I was stationed in Iceland on an unaccompanied tour as best as I can recall.

Edited by PHPaul

On 4/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, afx said:

I converted a closet, yes a closet into my work space. No need for a video you can see the whole thing in 1-photo!!  Got tired of arguing about why I couldn't use this room or that room.  

DSCN0806.JPGDSCN0809.JPGDSCN0807.JPGDSCN0808.JPG

WTH man that looks more like a hobby shop !! Very nice 

7 hours ago, styromaniac said:

Nice benches guys. Dang J.C.!....a lot of good work has come out of your tiny work space!

Thanks Steve.  My space does tend to focus the mind, its almost like climbing into cockpit.:)

Edited by afx

When we moved into our retirement home, the home we will leave in a body bag, I took one corner of the basement to build into a hobby area.  It is a great place to work in the warm weather, but that basement gets a bit cool in the other times of the year.  Trying to figure some way to economically warm the area.  Anyway here are some pictures.  The flames on the back of the chair is actually a BBQ apron I wear while working - I have ruined too many pants/shirts over the years.

Man Cave Rev 2.JPG

Man Cave Rev 4.JPG

Man Cave Rev 6.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick

53 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Wow @afx, that looks like a better selection than any hobby shop I've visited. You've got it all.. but where was the paint booth?  I saw the air tank

I don't have a paint booth.  I only air brush Tamiya water base acrylics into a make shift cardboard box while wearing a respirator.  I paint my bodies outside with rattle cans.

11 minutes ago, afx said:

I don't have a paint booth.  I only air brush Tamiya water base acrylics into a make shift cardboard box while wearing a respirator.  I paint my bodies outside with rattle cans.

I'm jealous man, this is the best setup I've seen.. Thanks for the idea!  I'm especially jealous of your GTO models waiting to be built :)

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

When we moved into our retirement home, the home we will leave in a body bag, I took one corner of the basement to build into a hobby area.  It is a great place to work in the warm weather, but that basement gets a bit cool in the other times of the year.  Trying to figure some way to economically warm the area.  Anyway here are some pictures.  The flames on the back of the chair is actually a BBQ apron I wear while working - I have ruined too many pants/shirts over the years.

Man Cave Rev 2.JPG

Man Cave Rev 4.JPG

Man Cave Rev 6.JPG

Great looking setup. I like your inventory. The heating problem you mentioned, I noticed an overhead duct in your area.  I have cut into one of these ducts in a part of our basement and installed a Home Depot type register that you can adjust the flow with. This will work with your Air Conditioning in the same way. If you don't already have a dehumidifier I would suggest getting on to remove some of the humidity from the air in the basement.  This may help extend the life of decals and card board boxes. 

9 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

You have quite a few kits there that I'd love to have.

This is my side of the garage. It's seen little action for the last few years. However, the recent Easter break and lockdown situation has allowed me more time to get out there. I got it cleaned up for the pic. The truck has been under construction for at least 5 years. I'm still plugging away.

IMG_2144-vi.jpg

Am I the only one with a TV?

room01.jpg.b77e8812e4a0e42350bb07d42825de73.jpg

One of my display model cases

room03.jpg.393ceb81b0baa3b4bef509bb83331626.jpg

The other one

room04.jpg.bff71827e5c61f3be00dd944a776e78c.jpg

Some of my stash

room09.jpg.d85dec972bda9afbc40a3cad59c2db5a.jpg

More of my stash

room10.jpg.fdf841e0222f96fd7e16519783f5da8b.jpg

Still more of my stash

room11.jpg.e9a429cc47127188e1c85226cc1b88f2.jpg

My paint booth, in drying mode

room12.jpg.759012b12207f05dd627751a76708b6a.jpg

A wider shot of my spray booth

room13.jpg.a421203584f084fcadf039c1e85fdf66.jpg

Spray booth exhausting out the door

room14.jpg.01bcedb16888384cf3d8ecce28ecb810.jpg

30 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

A few kits there that I'd like to add to my own stash, Jeff. I'm duly envious.

Which ones? Maybe we can work a deal. I didn't start out as a collector, I bought them all with the intent to build them all. No way that'll happen. LOL

Jeff

When my wife and I moved into our house 8 years ago, I claimed the downstairs bedroom. Can't really call it a "man cave" if there's no TV and a lot of books, so I call it "my study." Sounds better.

Here's the workbench:

20200416_133837

And my collection/stash, mixed in with my RC models...

20200416_133905

2020-04-16_01-53-54

20200416_133952

The other side of the room is my desk, currently a mess as it's my work-from-home office.

2020-04-16_01-48-52

18 hours ago, cartpix said:

Am I the only one with a TV?

room01.jpg.b77e8812e4a0e42350bb07d42825de73.jpg

No TV as such, but I did have a PC in my man cave, and will have again, once my new workbenches are complete this year sometime. I'll be transplanting the guts of the old PC into a new case this year, that will have more expansion capability, much better cooling and whatnot.

Nipae4.jpg

Here is my slice of heaven, 90% of my kit stash is in another room, but the space under my bench is full of kits. It’s a small room, but I have a lot crammed in it....scratch building stuff is hanging on the back of the door and most of my paint cans are in the bins under the paint booth, jar paint is on a rack that’s originally intended to be a thread spool rack. Due to the current situation, I’ve been spending a lot of time in there.

0DAC4EA2-EB72-4ABE-BE1C-8123CB485ED0.jpeg

B26E9116-633B-4270-885C-AD818D9DB644.jpeg

4ED7A20F-31D9-4E70-B3EE-E9156AB67DAB.jpeg

E29870C1-ACF7-46F9-8437-7476259D49A7.jpeg

0D5628CF-11DE-4874-8005-41EF1D890972.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I'm curious  as to what's up with the items that have 29 and 30 on them over and over again.

Those are model show trophies from a local IPMS show that I go to, the numbers are for each year it’s been held.